Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to have some Kiwi Scuff Magic black shoes polish and decided to try it on a well weathered Gen 1 steering wheel. I removed the steering wheel to apply it, although you don't have to do this. Three coats made for an amazing transformation. I hope someone finds this to be useful. I did clean the wheel with a water based cleaner/degreaser first rinsing and drying it very well before application. Also, you get the best results if you smooth the liquid polish by hand
Audio equipment Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
663 Posts
I want to get mine leather wrapped. Still has the vinyl wrap remnants that have fused to the wheel from the old generic wraps. What a pita.
Creative idea. Do you use peanut butter on the plastics under bumper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just curious; do you get any black on your hands when driving or is it totally dry?

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,217 Posts
Y'all.

Early S2000 wheels fit the Insight exactly, and came with leather from the factory. I've got one and I love it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never seen the S2000 steering wheel. That does sound like the best upgrade- unless you want to save the expense and want to keep your Insight as original as possible. I would think that the sun would eventually damage the S2000 wheel too.

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
I've never seen the S2000 steering wheel. That does sound like the best upgrade- unless you want to save the expense and want to keep your Insight as original as possible. I would think that the sun would eventually damage the S2000 wheel too.
02-06 RSX wheel is also compatible.

·
Linsight Designer
2,922 Posts
I'm curious if you now rub a white cloth on the finished steering wheel, does it turn black?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
This is promising.

The top of these steering wheels is often heavily sun damaged; how did that turn out? The bottom of the wheel is pictured.

Would this work on the dashboard, or make it a mottled mess?

Also, looking at the RSX steering wheels, a lot of them look worse than Insight steering wheels. But at least with those, you can remove and replace the leather (though getting the stitching right would take the better part of a weekend.)

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,217 Posts
G1 NSX steering wheel looks like it'd work. I saw a photo of the back and the mount looks the same. S2000 and NSX were from the same factory as the Insight, so you get to keep some of that mystique if you use a wheel from a S2000 or NSX. I'd be interested in the NSX wheel + clockspring because it has so many buttons on it.

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
482 Posts
Looking on Amazon, it appears that kiwi scuff magic no longer exists. I see kiwi scuff cover though. Sounds like the same thing renamed. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm curious if you now rub a white cloth on the finished steering wheel, does it turn black?
I used a tissue to buff the surface and you do get a very slight residue. Since it is fresh and I have not been able to put it out on warm sunny day I expect this will improve.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used a tissue to buff the surface and you do get a very slight residue. Since it is fresh and I have not been able to put it out on warm sunny day I expect this will improve.
It did almost completely smooth out the top of the wheel where the sun damage was most pronounced.

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
This is promising.

The top of these steering wheels is often heavily sun damaged; how did that turn out? The bottom of the wheel is pictured.

Would this work on the dashboard, or make it a mottled mess?

Also, looking at the RSX steering wheels, a lot of them look worse than Insight steering wheels. But at least with those, you can remove and replace the leather (though getting the stitching right would take the better part of a weekend.)
Idk the one on my Blue MT car is a 8/10 and the one I just bought, from pictures looks like a 7/10. You just gotta keep looking and immediately pounce on the nice ones, they dissapear really quickly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Further information on this product. It appears to be renamed as "Scuff Cover". The UPC is 3160011611. Target lists it for $3.69, and it seems to be available at numerous retail outlets. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
G1 NSX steering wheel looks like it'd work. I saw a photo of the back and the mount looks the same. S2000 and NSX were from the same factory as the Insight, so you get to keep some of that mystique if you use a wheel from a S2000 or NSX. I'd be interested in the NSX wheel + clockspring because it has so many buttons on it.

View attachment 93419
Doesn't look like a direct swap unless they changed between NA1 and NA2: Honda NSX Steering Wheel - S2000 Conversion | eBay

·
Registered
1 Posts
I happened to have some Kiwi Scuff Magic black shoes polish and decided to try it on a well weathered Gen 1 steering wheel. I removed the steering wheel to apply it, although you don't have to do this. Three coats made for an amazing transformation. I hope someone finds this to be useful. I did clean the wheel with a water based cleaner/degreaser first rinsing and drying it very well before application. Also, you get the best results if you smooth the liquid polish by hand View attachment 93413
View attachment 93412
I just replaced mine with an S2000 wheel. Cruise controls etc just bolted on. Used the insight airbag, now I have a nice genuine Honda leather steering wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,
For what it’s worth, when I got my silver Gen 1 from a buddy in New Mexico a few years back, the steering wheel had been baked in the sun for 17 years. The foam had broken down and worn away along the top front 10:00 to 2:00. It was hard, rough and much thinner than the rest of the wheel. The S2000 wheel was available but north of $ 1,000.
I bought some sheets of black EVA foam (it is the rubber-like craft foam they have in stores like Michaels). I ground off the loose foam with my Dremel tool and glued on strips of the EVA foam with EPO flexible glue. Once dried I shaped it with the Dremel and put on a fantastic leather wheel cover from Wheel Skins, a company in California. Yes lacing it took awhile but it turned out great, feels great and looks better than the S2000 wheel!
The project sounds like a monster but it really wasn’t bad. A good tip is to hold up your shop vac hose while grinding the foam and you won’t make a mess. Thinking about it, the steering wheel is your connection to the car and every second you are driving you can think “this is great, looks great, feels great, totally worth it!”
Also, you don’t have to be an artist because the WheelSkin cover, covers and smoothes out things.
Good luck - rick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts