Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my second replacement steering wheel in three years. Fortunately it is covered under warentee. The wheel becomes deteriated and really worn looking. The rest of the interior is holding up great. Is anyone else experiencing this? I asked the dealer if I could get a leather wheel from the S2000 and I would pay the difference in cost between the Insight and S2000 wheel, but was told the Honda does not allow parts upgrade under warentee. I know I could put a steering wheel cover on it, but I think they look tacky.

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
As far as steering wear I haven't experienced any. I've got 16,000 miles on mine and most of the interior still looks almost brand new. While I'm driving I usually just rest my arm on the top of the door panel and grab the wheel right under the hand grip with a couple fingers. If anything it's the grey fabric on the seats that wears the quickest. I'm curious if perhaps you keep a constand death grip on the wheel or something. Heck, perhaps your hand excrete some excessive acid or something.

The only thing I do once every other week or so is to use a vinly and rubber cleaner and conditioner on the whole interior, which includes the wheel and then buff it all out so it won't feel greasy at all and have a natural satin look.

·
Registered
23 Posts
WHEEL WEAR

I' M AN INSURANCE ESTIMATOR BY TRADE AND HAVE SEEN THIS ONCE BEORE. SOME PEOPLE HAVE A VERY ACIDIC SWEAT WHICH EATS PLASTIC. I HAVE NO SOLUTION TO THIS. MY INSIGHT WHEEL LOOKS NEW AFTER 20KM. AN INTERESTING ASIDE.... THE FLAW IN THE AIRBAG MODULE ON THE WHEEL ( A FAINT LINE ON THE RIGHT) IS PRESENT ON THE S2000 AS WELL. THIS IS CONCLUSIVE THAT THE PART IS SHARED.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
amplifiedmouse: Thanks for the reminder!

Trans Am Don: We discussed this once before. I remember you stated insurance adjusters use ALL CAPS for their reports but please try to remember to use a regular combination of lower and upper case here (refer to our Posting Guidelines). I know old habits are hard to break! :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt if it is because of the acidity of my hands. The wear is uniform around the wheel. I think is is more from the sun and heat here in FL. I have never had this problem on any other car.

Trans Am, is your other car a Trans Am? My other car is a 97 Z28 with a 383 LT4 motor :D .

·
Registered
366 Posts
Re: WHEEL WEAR

Trans Am Don- I hadn't noticed a flaw on either steering wheel (S2K or Insight), but I am going to have to look now.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well again, using a vinyl/rubber claner and conditioner (at least the Meguiars stuff I use) provides some UV protection. You migh try that. Also if you live in a hot area as I do here in AZ. Covercraft makes a very nice custom fitted windshield cover which will help keep the sun off your interior all together. I also have a covercraft custom fitted car cover that I use durrin the days in the summer here also to keep the interior temps below that 149 degree level as specified in the door panel. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ohh yeah, and on the S2000's wheel I think the air bag might be a common part, but the wheel is not. The S's Wheel is slightly larger in overall diameter and I went and looked some at the dealership. The leather is stitched on the inner part of the wheel, facing in toward the air bag, and I could see where that might get annoying after a while. The feel is different, that of leather obviously, and it has some different texture's on it as well like some little dimples. I don't think that it would quite go on the Insight right. And thats assuming that the piece that connects the wheel to the rest of the steering hookup is the same, and I don't believe that any two models share a common connector.

Clayton laid it out here I think in his leather post
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry about the caps, I didn't mean to yell.
Tim, the Trans Am is a 72 with the 455 HO. I'm pretty sure I win the biggest fuel milage differential award between my two cars if anyones keeping score! You are probably correct about the UV being the cause of the wear. As I live in Vancouver BC ( similar climate to Seattle ) my wheel should outlast me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A windshield cover likely would improve the steering wheel problem, make the car more comfortable to get into on a hot day, and maybe even improve battery life, since the 144 volt battery bank doesn't like extreme heat and is vented to the passenger compartment.

Real Goods sells one made out of that aluminized bubble-wrap. It reflects heat and insulates better than most covers and is very light to handle. I've had one in the Civic for years and hadn't gotten around to getting one for the Insight before it was destroyed. When my new Insight comes in, I'll likely either get another one from Real Goods, or go to Lowes and buy a whole roll of the stuff and make them custom fit to every window. I just have to decide whether or not that is too extreme.

·
Registered
366 Posts
?!?Destroyed?!? What happened?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I picked mine up from
http://www.apaindustries.com/contact.html
It's not on the web site, but if you call them their sales guy was really friendly. They had to order the windshield cover and the car cover, but I had it in 2 weeks. The windshield cover was $25 plus about $5 shipping. And the thing fits so perfectly it was well worth it. So far highs have been in the 90's or so in Arizona and between both the windshield cover and the car cover being used durring the days it keeps the interior just a few degrees above ambient instead of oven like. I do it for the sake of trying to give the batteries a chance at survival. Without either durring a nice summer day, and I'm sure most of you are familiar with this in the hot climates, the inside of the car can bake to about 175 degrees if not hotter. So you can see where battery damage would occur, espeically when you get in the car start it up, turn the air on putting more demand on the engine and IMA which requires a more aggressive assist which heats the batteries even more. Can we say recalibrations?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have this very problem. The top most part of the wheel on the outside wheel is all dry and cracking. It sucks. It looks bad and feels bad. I read about the idea dealing with certain people have funky oil. I usually drive with my hand on the top of the wheel or close to the top.

I have no idea how to deal with it.

To any who might have had to replace their or for anyone who just might now, can you tell me how to replace the wheel and give me a price for the wheel replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
What about putting a leather wrap on it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts