Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the help from the forum already! I'm getting some smoke from behind my steering column when I turn my low beams on (and can prevent this by going directly to high beams, which makes me much beloved on the highway), and figure it's my headlamp switch even though this was replaced in late 2010. Rather than have a shop do it over and over again, I figure I better just learn it myself. I was wondering if anyone has written a step-by-step guide for this? I've looked over the recall bulletin:

http://rotordesign.com/insight/SafetyRecallCombinationLightSwitch.pdf

posted by others in the forum and Mike's blog, and searched the site, but if anyone has their own version they think works well/better please let me know! Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
917 Posts
It is not difficult.

It's not difficult. Three screws off the bottom steering wheel cover, gently work the clips loose that fasten the bottom cover to the top half (I used a pocketknife). There are a couple of screws that hold the assembly in.

Can't remember which post I read it in, but the comment was the Headlight Switch Kit, which includes the new wire and connector that you need, is part number 35012-S3Y-306. I believe he also posted it cost less than the switch by itself. It also has directions to replace the bad wire and connector if necessary.

One of my cars came with a bad switch (the seller was clear it was bad), and it had already been replaced under a recall. However, Honda declined the second opportunity to replace it under the recall. Still, it was easy.

Tim Glover

·
Registered
136 Posts
Although I don't have a link. I believe there may be a recall on this part. I would call the local honda dealership, and give them your VIN. It may fall under the parameters of the recall. I also believe, that even if it has been fixed before under recall, they will fix it again, although I'm not 100%.

Edit: I see now that you are already aware of the recall. Oops! But on that note I would have them do it over and over and over if they keep replacing the switch for free as it's somewhat pricy.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,668 Posts
Jeff, I believe that is "Mike" of MIMA fame. Don't think he will make it to the meet.

Willie

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Jeff, I believe that is "Mike" of MIMA fame. Don't think he will make it to the meet.

Willie
Interesting. The author references many San Jose locations (including Capitol Honda) in the blog posts. Did Mike D used to call the Bay Area home?

·
Registered
917 Posts
However, the link Gilbertguy gave to Mike's blog was very helpful to me when replacing my switch. I just had to overlook the NiCad reference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts