Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alpine CDA-9857 with integrated Hi-Speed Ipod link (cable included) and a pair of Polk MMC-650 6 1/2 in coaxials with external crossover and carbon fiber woofer cone. Not sure where to mount the crossover, but I'm trusting in the guys at Tweeter, etc. to get it right. They've always done great work for me in the past. (fingers crossed) :shock:

Any thoughts or suggestions on this setup are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
How deep are those speakers?

Be aware that the insight's doors don't allow for very thick speakers. I ended up having to go with the eclipse low profile speakers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speakers are 2 9/16 deep but,

They come with a 3/4 inch spacer for shallow mounting situations. I'm hoping they'll fit without them, but since I'm going to use the Polk/MOMO grills anyway, I think the installation should look clean either way.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The "Parkay container housings" keep water from getting into the speakers when it rains. The problem is that the sound resonates between the cone of the speaker and the container. This creates terrible standing waves and asimetric back presure. I don't have a simple solution for this. I did cut away some of the plasic with a Dremel tool. So far my speakers work, but others have reported problems. You might want to discuss options with them regarding this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I did my custom installation for speakers and the whole system bit, I took off the doors and essentially removed all of the plastic "Parkay container housings" as Kip put it. I just took a dremel to it and haven't had any problems with water or anything... I put Alpine Type-R 6.5" Components into my doors (they weight 4+ lbs per door, and have 2.75" top mount depth [they are about 1/4" from the window]) and I mounted the crossovers with velcro to the inside of the plastic door panels. I also used velcro to serve as "cable management" and it works pretty well. I am taking my doors off again tonight probably and can take pictures if you would like.

Let me know,
David

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice! Anyone know if 6X9s will fit in back?

The Polks fit with only minor trimming and sound great. The problem I have is the sound field created by a pair of co-axials in the lower front position is lacking.

I've considered a sub, but don't want to give up the limited storage space and really want more sound from behind me as well.

I'm leaning strongly towards an Alpine MRP-F250 4 channel amp under the passenger seat with a pair of Polk MMC690 6x9 3 way speakers mounted where the factory rear speakers would go.

My concern is the available mounting space and depth behind the seats. I need 5-7/8" x 8-11/16" for the driver cutout and the mounting depth is 3-3/8". Any ideas on fit for these?

The final step, if I can get the right cable, will be to mount my Phatnoise Phatbox under the driver's seat and connect it to the head unit like it's a cd changer. I've really grown attached to this unit in my Audi and am hoping to move it to the insight! This way I'll have all my podcasts and video on the 60GB video ipod, plus 40GB of music already loaded on the cartridge in the Phatbox.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
You certainly are going for it Spacebug! <sigh> I must be getting old if I can't be bothered to keep up with all this technology :?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Depth is severely limited for the magnet on the passenger side owing to an air vent for the battery pack. I built some spacer rings out of three quarter thick PCV plastic. There is about a half inch of padding under the "carpet" so it doesn't really show. :D Try Googling for Solen. They are a major supplier of drivers and crossovers. The last time I checked they had some speakers with the magnet mounted in front of the cone for shallow mount applications. 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts