Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally getting a new head unit to replace the cassette player. Yay!
However I did a search to find directions on how to take the dash apart, but the only links I found were from 2006/5 and are now gone. Help, I don't want to break my baby.
If the only thing I can get is detailed direction I will take pictures when I do my install for anyone else who might need them in the future.

Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot! :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
i dont have a link to directions, but ive done it a couple times myself, so here goes:

1. empty most if not all items out of glove compartment, make sure its not too heavy
2. at base of glove compartment, where it hinges, there are 2 bolts, one on either side, holding it in. leave glove compartment latched closed and take those out
3. remove glove compartment by unlatching it like you would normally open it
4. you can now see the piece of plastic molding(moulding?) covering the stereo opening. unscrew all the screws holding it.
5. once all the screws are out, gently pop out all the plastic snaps holding the plastic in place and remove it
6. there you go, you can now remove the stereo head unit by pulling it straight out

HTH, and let me know if you want more detailed instructions :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
thank you very much!

so, if i order a stereo w/proper harness from crutchfield, then once i've followed your instructions i can just pop in a compatible unit pretty easily?

i'm not an idiot, but i've never done this and would prefer not to screw things up!

·
Registered
702 Posts
have you ever done a stereo change out on another car?

if so, once you get the plastic dash piece off, its just like any other car install

if you havent done another install, as long as no one has messed with the wiring(i.e. previous owner of MY car:(), with the proper adapter from the maker of your new stereo, it should be a matter of unscrewing old head unit, pulling it out, unplugging...replugging,sliding the new unit it, and screwing it in

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, so I got the glove box off, but it sure seems hard to get to the stereo from that angle. Where, which and (approximately) how many screws are holding on the plastic I need to remove?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts