Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting in and aftermarket stereo in my first gen insight (which I Looooove) and I want something that looks like it belongs there... futuristic, but classic. was looking at the single din units with screens but dont want blocky cheap looking display. backup camera would be nice but not necessary... mostly looking for something to enhance the esthetic of the car... basically all car stereos are at least okay these days... just would like bluetooth to link to my phone and aux in, plus maybe USB.
anybody found a stereo they love for their first gen insight?

i like the design of this super cheap sovlong:
but it is like a $27 stereo so probably absolute garbage.

this one from AMprime has more functionality but I dont like the blocky icons for functions in the LED. :

Anybody found a stero they love?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Get an alpine design with bluetooth and even a usb connection in which you could play your iPod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts

Picture didn't quite do it justice, but this old Kenwood allowed for LED color adjustment to match the Insight's amber color pretty well. Does bluetooth and USB, but nothing fancy otherwise. kenwood KMMBT315U but they don't make it anymore... so... good luck! :) (Kenwood has newer models, of course, but I don't know what the difference would be)

I'm guessing you're looking for something more feature-rich anyways, but figured it was worth noting the night time color performance.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you really want something fancy futuristic looking but nouveau, I say B&O or some “cost much more than it’s worth and performs” brand. In my opinion it’s either kenwood or alpine. Both are great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
I opted for something which had RGB LEDs, so I could change the color of the head unit to match the color of the interior lights and dash (orange).
I put a Kenwood KDC-BT372U in mine a year ago. Does a
Everything you want. Plus has aux plug ins (usb and small circular plug). I like it. It got good reviews. They’re still available I think. Display color, any thing you want. Simple understated clean display with an actual knob. So yeah it fits in just fine. And I’m a serious design snob.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I put a Kenwood KDC-BT372U in mine a year ago. Does a
Everything you want. Plus has aux plug ins (usb and small circular plug). I like it. It got good reviews. They’re still available I think. Display color, any thing you want. Simple understated clean display with an actual knob. So yeah it fits in just fine. And I’m a serious design snob.
So just checked, it’s discontinued. But the kenwood KDC-X 304 and 704 available at Cruchfield are both very similar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe more than you want, but I ordered the 2-DIN dash part from Japan, then put in a Pioneer NEX head unit, which includes Android and CarPlay compatibility as well as DVD player.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
49 Posts
I fitted a Pioneer fh-s820dab. Bluetooth, still has a physical CD player, digital radio, handsfree phone and the aesthetics match the Insight dish quite well, all circular knobs/buttons but not too gaudy. Custom colour for the display and buttons too, I got that set up better to match the dash after taking this photo.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My car came with a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998 installed.

LIKE:
Sounds great
Can color-tune display to match orange dash gauges
Bluetooth, USB, aux, HD-radio
Talks to my iPhone to display track info

DISLIKE:
Controls, controls, controls. Most selections are made by turning the big knob, after pressing the right little button to access the correct menu. Hard to do without taking your eyes off the road to watch the display.

Good luck!

- Park

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm using the Sony XAV-AX8000 in mine, and I'm very fond of it. However, the mostly-useless cupholders become completely useless without contortions, and it is absolutely gigantic in our cars. That said, it is nice being able to rest one hand on the gear lever and push the forward-back buttons easily in 5th.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Any of your basic single din systems will work fine, but I recommend ones that have 2 color zones so you can change one part to be green and the other orange to match the stock setup. A lot of units allow you to only change the color of the buttons, or of the text, but not both.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts