Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow ICer recently did a stick level IMA pack rehab for me on a "dead" Primearth pack with unknown history I picked up for $50.

Sticks were cycled on a hobby charger with a five cycle - charge/discharge pattern. I could get more details for the truly curious.

Sticks were self-discharged to about 4. something volts each from prolonged pack inactivity.

They were charged over several days, four sticks at a time. Not sure of charging current or duration.

Pack went back in the car today. On its maiden voyage, I have to say it is completely transformed. SOC at or near one bar from the top (with some dips by c. 3-4 bars, with eventual bounce back to near top.

Assisting and charging as designed. No lights/codes. Autostop functioning. Mpg (with snow tires) up to 60.3 from high 40s, low 50s when previously running ICE-only.

Too early to comment on long term prospects, but preliminary indications are promising.

·
Registered
183 Posts
"Yes", the truly curious reply. More details please.

From the posts I gathered on IC, I guess a Hitec X2 hobby charger was used?

Hmm 4 sticks at a time. So for 20 sticks, it would be repeated 5 times. Let's say it took 5 days.

Hmm if you invest in a Hitec X2 hobby charger, and I invest in one too ... and, just for now, 3 of us share them ... it could shorten the process from 5 days to less than 2. Just a thought.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check with my source and see if I can get more precise details to post.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hitech XC4 AC Pro Charger to be exact.

I'll try to get cycle times and all the technical details as far as amps/volts, etc.

What I can say is the individual sticks were in what I would consider to be a high state of self-discharge from prolonged non-use, but I am a rank neophyte with this car and can't tell amps from ohms, so I would consider the source when reading. What I know about electricity would fill a thimble.

·
Registered
2002 honda insight, 1980 corolla 4g63 swapped, 2003 volvo xc70 the daily
17 Posts
Charge was set @5.0 amps.Discharge was @ 2.0 amps. With a cool down period of 30 minutes In-between cycles. Cannot tell time in each cycle. Can only tell end of charge mah and voltage.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Charge was set @5.0 amps.Discharge was @ 2.0 amps...Cannot tell time in each cycle. Can only tell end of charge mah and voltage.
"charge mah" / 5A X 1000 = charge time in hours, ex. 5200mAh / 5000mA = 1.04 hours. Same applies to discharge, just change the rate to 2A, or 2000mA.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Short term results seem promising. I'll give it more of a workout this weekend with some longer local trips. So far only local errands at about 12 mile round-trips up and down Schooley's Mountain Rd. The uphill trip will take the battery down 3-5 bars from it's starting position one from the top, but the downhill with some light regen braking brings it right back up. So far getting assist and recharge only when I would expect them, i.e. no charging while I'm cruising at moderate speeds on level roads.

Still awaiting cooling system parts ordered from Majestic on 9/1, which are scheduled to arrive in today's mail, so ten days from order to receipt with an intervening holiday with economy shipping option.

In the Northeast, I'd figure about a week plus for G1 parts ordered there. Some of my items were not in inventory and had to be ordered.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,877 Posts
Are you using a OBDIIC&C gauge to monitor the IMA battery. That is the only way you can observe the "Background Charge" that is common on the G1 while cruising..

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
^ You can downshift, get RPM above about 3k, go light throttle, and if there's a background charge the green bars will show up. On the other hand, if you have a CVT not sure what you'd do. Maybe shifting to low would have a similar effect...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CVT -- no extra pedal. Alas, left knee can't handle the extra pedal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still looking pretty good. Only about 160 miles or so since the stick level cycling, but MPG up to 54.7 on local only jaunts -- and seemingly continuing to rise. SOC indicator will drop by 4 or 5 bars during usage, but always back up to one bar from full when I return to my driveway.

I'm driving for mileage, and a bit like a granny -- I haven't stomped on it yet and I haven't tried to burn rubber up hill either, but I'm pretty pleased so far, especially given that I am running snow tires at 36 psi.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Packs have the best chance to go wacky when you accelerate hard in fifth for a while. If it is going to throw a light, it will do it then. No harm in trying it. You can always pull over and do a 12V reset to get it back ;)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,877 Posts
AT least jack your tire pressures back to around 40-45, or the max pressure listed on the tires..

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Still looking pretty good. Only about 160 miles or so since the stick level cycling, but MPG up to 54.7 on local only jaunts -- and seemingly continuing to rise. SOC indicator will drop by 4 or 5 bars during usage, but always back up to one bar from full when I return to my driveway.
These 'metrics' have little to nothing to do with the quality of your rehab program... You might as well be saying, 'My paint now has a mirror-like shine, and valve noise has gone away.' OK, so a bit hyperbolic, but not by much.

How about trying something closer to a real test?: Floor it, do the ASST bars pull back? It'd be better if you had an OBDIIC&C so you could read some real values... Try holding assist up a long hill until neg recal: How long did it take, where was the bar gauge at empty?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure I want to drain the battery just to prove to myself I can drain the battery. I know I'm living on borrowed time at this point. I'm just going to ride that pony as far as I can.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
It won't hurt it to try one aggressive acceleration run. If the IMA light comes on, then simply reset with the 12V ground removed. You'll know more about the battery. I guess the most important test would be the position of the SOC gauge when the gauge does a negative recalibration - as eq1 suggested. That will give you a pretty good idea of your level of success:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts