Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some hauling/traveling this summer , Is there a stiffer spring or shock availble for the rear ? I wondered if anything from the Fit would be close enough to bolt on.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
There have been several threads on new rear springs. one solution is to use spacers to raise the rear suspension, another is to use air springs, another Insighter had custom springs made, but the cheapest is to use these scrap springs. See:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... sc&start=0

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that one in a search, Thanks.
I looked a Honda Fit which looked very much the same, I think I may buy some Ground control coilovers for a fit so I can adjust a little.
I will keep upto date on the progress for future spring swappers.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
I found that one in a search, Thanks.
I looked a Honda Fit which looked very much the same, I think I may buy some Ground control coilovers for a fit so I can adjust a little.
I will keep upto date on the progress for future spring swappers.
You know Ground Control makes a coilover set specifically for the Gen 1 Insight for the OEM shocks. $399 for the set.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I looked at the Ground Control option too. Problem with that setup (if available) is that it's not really designed to improve handling per se, its purpose is to allow lowering. I'm not that interested in going lower unless it's specifically designed to help with handling without other side effects. I really think the Swift setup will be a nice balance between being stiffer, a bit lower, still comfortable & very daily drivable.

Joel

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ground Control not designed to improve handling??

I dont think they make them anymore. I called to ask about it, and they said they are discontinued.
I don't know who you talked to at GC, but I just got off the phone with them right now and they are currently out of stock and awaiting parts to replace them. They should be back up on the website in about 4 weeks or so. They are also rewriting the instructions for installation.

Copied from Joel -r post :

I looked at the Ground Control option too. Problem with that setup (if available) is that it's not really designed to improve handling per se, its purpose is to allow lowering. I'm not that interested in going lower unless it's specifically designed to help with handling without other side effects. I really think the Swift setup will be a nice balance between being stiffer, a bit lower, still comfortable & very daily drivable.

Joel

@ Joel R-
As for what you said about GC not designed for improving handling, then I wonder why they use Eibach springs with a specific stiffness (+20-25% stiffness with off the shelf springs) over stock springs? And guess what GC allows you to do? Custom spring rates also! I have used GC coilover systems in 3 different cars with all positive aspects of an increase in handling prowness all proven in autocross on all 3 of my vehicles plus over many years of daily driving. All this for a very affordable price and made in the USA.

And they also allow the option to lower your vehicle too which you stated. I understand you are doing a great thing for the Insight community with Swift springs, but there is no need to try to tarnish the image of GC or downplay what they have been doing in the suspension world for many years, far longer than Swift.

/end rant

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
@BlueCivic: You're right, I unfairly & unfoundedly (a new word?) bashed on the GC option and I'm glad to hear that there's a possibility of more sets. GC never returned my emails inquiring about their Insight offering and after seeing a post about them being discontinued, I moved on. Around the same time, I got the Swifts installed on my Fit and fell in love.

I'd love to learn more about the options that a GC setup would provide for an Insight application for both front and rear springs, including rates, progressive or not, etc.

·
7,200 Posts
@BlueCivic: You're right, I unfairly & unfoundedly (a new word?) bashed on the GC option and I'm glad to hear that there's a possibility of more sets. GC never returned my emails inquiring about their Insight offering and after seeing a post about them being discontinued, I moved on. Around the same time, I got the Swifts installed on my Fit and fell in love.

I'd love to learn more about the options that a GC setup would provide for an Insight application for both front and rear springs, including rates, progressive or not, etc.
Definitely this. More options are always better.

It would be interesting to know how GC came to their specifications. I would hope that they got their hands on an Insight just like Swift wants to?

The price is the same. It doesn't bother me that the Swift springs are made in Japan. I think it just depends on what you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts