Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '00 Insight (thanks Brian) which has a replacement radio with a removable faceplate, tiny button, etc. All I need is a OEM Honda CD radio for the car that plays CDs and AM/FM radio (HD radio would be great as well but I don't think any Honda OEM radio has that). The '00 Insight has some Pioneer speakers (not OEM speakers) but I may still swap those out for a better pair.

Does anyone know the Honda OEM CD radios that are a drop-in replacement on a '00 Insight? Part numbers or specific years/model that I should look for?

Thanks,
Peter

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The Insight radio plays Cassettes, but it has the option of a remote CD player in the hatch area.

If you want the car to look stock that is your only option. Personally I'd be nervous of a CD changer scratching up my CDs.

If you can find a reciever that plays CDs and MP3s you'll have great options. An MP3 disk can play over 12 hours of music without repeating. In an automotive environment the slightly higher quality of a CD is wasted anyway.

Purchasing a reciever with an auxiliary input gives you many other options. I can load about 90 albums in MP3 format onto a 4gig SD card, stick it in my GPS and play it through my reciever. (The "GPS lady" cuts in on the music.) I modified my stock reciever to allow this and to keep the car looking "stock", but unless you are an electro-tech with waaaaaaay too much curiousity, I don't suggest that route. Others here simply use FM transmitters or adapters that fool the radio into thinking there is a CD changer in the rear, and then plug in an Ipod.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't looking to put back in the original Honda OEM radio with cassette into the '00 Insight. I think my cassette collection is down to just a few and I should really convert those to CD.

I would like to know if I could use a Honda OEM radio from a Civic, etc. that has a CD player and use that in my '00 Insight?

Has anyone used a non-Insight Honda OEM CD radio in a Insight? I could go the CD changer route but I've done that for nearly 11 years with a Civic coupe and would rather just have a single disc CD player in the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
In 2004, the Insight OEM radio switched from a cassette to a built-in CD radio so it would probably be a direct swap. The manual does not show a difference in the connector between the 00-03 models and the 04-05 models (my manual only goes up to 2005). I don't know of anyone trying that particular unit yet and another problem may be finding one. Perhaps a scrap yard. The ones on Ebay seem to be the 00-03 type.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
84 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
In an automotive environment the slightly higher quality of a CD is wasted anyway.
Disagree with this statement strongly. My system in the insight has better sound than my home theater system. Nothing wasted at all.
Most any aftermarket CD deck will fit in the insight. Add a couple amps, a supwoofer in the storage bay, and you are in sound heven.

·
Registered
84 Posts
that's what the amps are for, to over drive the road noise. Turn up the volume enough and road noise is gone, kick in the WOW function and discerning higher audiophile quality is possible and quite probable.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
OK Dice, as a person who designs and sells high end audio I've learned never to argue with the ears of a paying customer. If your car system is that good, congratulations.

Personally, I wear double hearing protection when testing system limits, and only occasionally listen to music on long trips. I prefer to save my hearing for those rare occasions when I have a chance to listen to exquisite recordings via my latest creations in a private and distraction free environment.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have had 5 gen I insights, and still own 4 of them. I have swapped out the radios on all of them with Honda radios. The first 4 were replaced with later model Honda Insight ('04-'06) receiver/CD players. A big improvement, especially with better speakers in the doors. My most recent upgrade was with a Honds S2000 receiver/CD player. Even better. Just make sure that when you locate one of these it has the clock feature cuz some of them don't have a clock. They have the Honda logo. The only clue that this is not a a stock Insight radio is the color of the back light which is a little redder than the back light on the climate control. I added a set of Polk speakers which required that the back side of the grill be carefully reamed out to accommodate the tweeters. You will also need pair of adapter plugs for the speakers. The radio itself goes in without a hitch, and you dont need any special adapter plugs. When the whole thing goes in together it looks completely stock and is a great sound upgrade. The used S2000 radio cost a little over $100 and the speakers cost about the same from Best Buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts