Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, you go through all your cars like that? Looks almost like a new car and all service has been done.

Ive purchased a few used non hybrid vehicles and its another day and a grand to do all the fluids, filters, plugs, manual and minor tweeks, adjustments to get the vehicle right. Then another 500-800 bucks for tires.

YOU GAVE FREE TIRES????? Wow.....
Has anyone look at the stock market as of late no wonder people are not buying anything

·
Registered
461 Posts
Has anyone look at the stock market as of late no wonder people are not buying anything
Every day... its a blood bath right now.

·
Super Moderator
6,872 Posts
I have a feeling that "you aint seen nothin yet"
Trying to get a feel for the direction of the market is notoriously difficult. The real question is is the plunge based or real factors, or just correction jitters. I vote for the former.

There will be a point, as with all corrections, when folks start nibbling again at the good stocks, then the correction will turn, or we will go into recession. Always been that way. Just don't sell low and buy high;)

Heck, it isn't even a correction yet technically. A correction has been defined as 10%.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Its amazing guys.

My life journey involved spending a lot of money in my 30's in 2 distracted marriages.. hence my money spending..

Now in my 40's with an amazing women.. I've been working very very hard to make up financially for my 30's. I've made a lot of tough decisions that others probably wouldn't consider.

One of the things that I do is read cnn money every day now and other research.

It sucks because our 401K at work isn't the most flexible thing in the world (I think most are that way). I'd love to purchase some stocks like apple or tesla, and frankly after our house is paid off in March (at 45!!), I think I'll do that.

I see the stock market like gambling in general.. putting all your retirement hopes in something that is uncontrollable and not the faintest predictable sure is a mistake. Its so fickle now.. with real time information someone blinks and the market swings one way or the other.
Right now personally I think we are in a little correction and frankly needed.

At some point though, I am waiting for the house of cards to collapse.. the foundation has been eroded for a long time..

Its sucks though to see the potential money erode away.. now I am not selling, but I consider changing future contributions... but the choices aren't the greatest in the 401K's at work. The only good thing about them truly is the employer match.. at our company its 5% max if you put in 10%. That's free money and helps soften the blow.

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,872 Posts
Don't know what your options really are with your employer, but frequently they offer a S&P 500 index fund. That option beats 80% of fund managers and individuals - since no body can really picks stocks with any success.

Sounds like a 50% match from your employer. That is pretty rare these so grab all the free money;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Don't know what your options really are with your employer, but frequently they offer a S&P 500 index fund. That option beats 80% of fund managers and individuals - since no body can really picks stocks with any success.

Sounds like a 50% match from your employer. That is pretty rare these so grab all the free money;)
Yep I am in a fair amount with our version of the S&P 500 index fund.

Yep 50% match up to 10% that I contribute - its a pretty good company.
I've been there 14 years now. I am currently contributing 12% and thinking that I may take the 2% and do my own investing with more flexibility.
But most likely we'll do that next year when things settle down a little more (ie. house paid off etc).

·
Super Moderator
6,872 Posts
I've been there 14 years now.
Mid thirties, house almost paid off. You are doing great.

As an old guy who tried to pickum for a long time, don't underestimate the problems of active management. Very few have the aptitude to get it right. I didn't, and I worked hard at it. You have to make decisions using the same public information available to the rest of the investment community, so any advantage you might find is very quickly discounted by the market.

JMHO, and humbled by trying that game for a long time;)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
As an old guy who tried to pickum for a long time, don't underestimate the problems of active management. Very few have the aptitude to get it right. I didn't, and I worked hard at it. You have to make decisions using the same public information available to the rest of the investment community, so any advantage you might find is very quickly discounted by the market.
Excellent advice! I own only 1 stock because I received stock options as a signing bonus and shares when participating in an employee stock purchase plan. I am gradually selling these shares to pay our living expenses (we're retired).

I would never buy individual stocks because what do I know that professionals don't know? Investing in a few stocks is much riskier than investing in broad stock index funds with very low expenses (e.g., Vanguard's index funds). Index funds have lower expenses than actively-managed funds and perform as well or better, in general.

In addition to a U.S. stock index fund, diversify by buying U.S. and non-U.S. bond index funds as well as a non-U.S. stock index fund. Frequently, when stocks fall, bonds rise, or when the U.S. is up, the rest of the world is down. So you minimize the risk of sudden shocks by diversifying as widely as possible. Makes sleeping nights easier during turbulent times :)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
You guys must be lucky or self directive investors. I had a 401k by Fidelity and went to a stable capital fund. All the others lost money and had fees. I had co workers loose thousands of dollars while I made .1% on top of the company 5% match.

My new job I went right to the capital fund. The advertisement has a photo showing all the investments are down. :-? How is that encouraging to get a new employee to invest if all the options are down???

Anyone catch that thing on the flash boys? How they wire terminals closer to the action so it makes faster flips on other peoples purchases? Just think with the ability to track whats trending on social media, news, then bank on it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
ok, a little relief on the stock market today. Phew!
I actually beat the stock market by .6% today that's cool.

Some day it would be cool to just keep this thread going of sharing information. Its nice for example to have some ex traders on here etc.
Good financial discussions are part of life, and folks on here appear to be educated in general and want to share.

I personally would like to bounce some idea's off folks - since I am in "get my crap together because you blew a crap load of money in your 30's and you ain't getting any younger" routine.

Any one else game?

·
Super Moderator
6,872 Posts
Anyone catch that thing on the flash boys? How they wire terminals closer to the action so it makes faster flips on other peoples purchases? Just think with the ability to track whats trending on social media, news, then bank on it.
I own and have read the book. While it is an interesting insight into flash trading, I'm not sure it has much impact on small investors who make small trades and usually for the intermediate to long term. Perhaps day traders would be impacted.

·
Super Moderator
6,872 Posts
I personally would like to bounce some idea's off folks - since I am in "get my crap together because you blew a crap load of money in your 30's and you ain't getting any younger" routine.

Any one else game?
We're in the lounge. The subject is fine here.

Lets hear your theories.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'll send you a PM. Not sure if I should put that on here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts