Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would check these things myself, but I don't have my Insight at this time and don't expect to get it back for a long time.

I have a Stock 2000 Insight:
What is the peak power output of the head unit?
What is the RMS power output?
What is the diameter of the stock speekers? (I've read 6 1/2" but they look bigger)
What is the peak power handling of stock speakers?
What is the RMS power handling of stock speakers?
What is the frequency range on stock speakers?
Are there rear speakers? (I messed with the fade on the deck and didn't hear anything when turned it to the back. Also I didn't see any.)

I just bought my 2000 from a hole in the wall used car dealership. I had it for a few days then the Battery, MCM + More went out. I took it back because it had a warrenty. Then they realized that their shop couldn't fix it. So now they are trying to bargain with Honda dealers to do the work for cheap. Long story short, I'm getting impatient and pass the time by thinking about what i'm going to do to my Insight when I get it back.

Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
The front speakers are 6-1/2". As far as the rear speaker question, there aren't any from the factory. There's a place to put them in back, but that spot is behind the seats so unless you're looking for that kind of bass that you can feel, in your back, it probably isn't really worth adding them.

As far as the rest of your questions, I have no idea how to find out that info.

BTW, we're probably quite close, I'm in Mira Loma.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
How easy is the installation of rear speakers? How about running the wires? What sizes are the holes in the rear? Where, near the cargo net?

BTW, yeah you're about 20 miles away. Are there any Insight Owner's clubs in the area? There is an RX7 club I sometimes goto that is a blast! We should start one if there isn't.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well, I have not installed the rear speakers so I don't have experience with doing so... but Honda has a rear speaker kit, which is sold by H&A for only $56.40. Go here and scroll down till you see it:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/insight.html

The answers to your questions should all be contained within the installation instruction PDF which is available there as well. I don't see it specifically mentioned in the instructions, but it seems as if the wiring harness is already there and you simply have to plug the speakers in once you mount them.

I have not heard about of any Insight clubs in the area. I only bought my Insight earlier this year, but I've been hanging out here quite a bit and I have not seen any mention of one. Maybe we should make some inquiries and see if there's much interest.

·
Registered
466 Posts
the short version: the rear speaker locations are under the carpet behind the seats. they are already wired. dont bother.

the head unit stinks. replace it.

the oem 6.5" speakers also stink. replace them with shallow-mount 6.5s. i used blaupunkts for 25 bux delivered from ebay. lots of other choices out there.

put a small sub in the back. search for shoebox sub.

have fun!

andy g.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As far as upgrading the stereo, I sort of regret that I did it. I drive from Temecula to San Diego every day and mostly listen to AM radio while I drive. AM reception on anything but a stock receiver is poor. I spoke to some local audio guys and they said there's not much that can be done. None of the aftermarket stereo manufacturers put much effort into the radio tuners.

Another thing, some of the harnesses for Hondas do not include the blue "power ant" wire. I know the Insight does not have a power antenna, but it does have an amplified antenna and without that wire being hooked into the new receiver you will get virtually no reception.

Rear speakers, I installed those, but I didn't use a kit. most speakers will go in fine. But it's sort of pointless because how well can you hear speakers that are 2 inches from the back of you seat?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The stock head unit is basically worthless. I'm guessing the output would be somewhere around 7.5 wpc. I initially upgraded the door speakers on my 2001 Insight with a set of 6.5 Pioneer 3 ways thinking the sound quality would improve. There was improvement, but it was marginal at best. I have since replaced the head unit with a Jensen CD/CD-RW/MP3 XM ready unit and it sounds much better.

I still need to route the antenna cable and figure out where I'm going to put the XM tuner box. I saw some vacant space in the dash behind the right side of the glove box door near a large white plastic piece but I'm afraid I might be blocking a vent of some kind so my inclination is to go under the glove box door or under the front seat.

As for rear speakers, I purchased a pair of Roadmaster surface mount box speakers with 6" woofers at Walmart for about $18 and have mounted them just behind the seats. I'm going to run some speaker wire up from the original connectors and see how they sound. I know these are cheap speakers but my guess is they'll give me a little more bass response than I'm currently getting with the Pioneers. If they don't work out I'm only out 18 bucks and I'll look at some 6.5's to put in the original rear speaker location.

·
Registered
466 Posts
sure. thats probably the easiest and best way to do it. if you dont mind giving up all your hidden storage space.

there is a space to the right of the storage bin that an 8" sub can go, with a little work. the amp can fit in the space to the left of the bin, and there is room for a pair of 6.5" subs in front of that.

andy g.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I tried it out and I gotta tell you it sounds pretty good! I did have a bit of trouble finding a place for the XM tuner box but finally decided to put it under the carpeting near where it ends under the dash. It's not visible except for a slight lump. I used double sided tape to stick the antenna to the hatch glass.

As for putting a subwoofer in the back storage compartment, I thought about it but decided that I didn't really want to lose the space. Besides, the only way you could aim the speaker to get any kind of decent sound would be straight up, and even then you'd have to modify or remove the compartment door. Otherwise, it'd be too muffled. 8)

·
Registered
182 Posts
For what it's worth Honda Part No 39100-S3Y-A01 Tuner Assy., Auto Radio (20Wx4) (Alpine)

·
Registered
497 Posts
22W RMS is approximately the maximum power output from any car stereo that doesn't boost the rail voltage (basically any stereo without an external amplifier). This is because the stereo is modulating a fixed voltage into a fixed impedance. All modern head units are about the same power, which is not to say that they sound the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts