Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your stock speakers make a buzz or snap sound on bass notes then it is probably due to the outer paper surround detaching from the steel basket. This problem is easily repairable:

Procedure:
1. Remove speaker grill. Pry it off from bottom with plastic tool or flat screw driver.
2. Remove speaker. (3 Philips screws and a 2 wire squeeze-release connector on back).
3. Inspect speaker and find where paper is detached from steel basket.
4. Lift the detatched paper in a section between two screw holes and remove debris/old glue/rust on basket.
5. Apply a bead of contact cement along the section of basket and press paper surround into cement. Lift it up again, let dry for 10 sec, then re-seat and press again to help the glue and steel bond. (I used small super magnets to hold together while gluing).
6. Once dry, repeat steps 4 & 5 for the other two sections of the speaker. If the paper has not lifted in one section, you may as well lift and re-glue as it will probably delaminate in the near future.
7 Finally, run a bead of sealant such as bathroom silicone caulking at margin where outer edge of surround meets the lip of the basket. This will hold the paper for good.

Comments:
The stock speakers are made in Japan and actually sound fairly balanced for the car. I appreciate good audio and have reference headphones from Sennheiser and AKG as well as Magnapan and PSB Stratus Gold speakers HOWEVER; most cars are terrible audio environments so quality sound is nearly impossible in any car. This is especially true for an Insight with very little road noise treatment, a noisy unbalanced 3 cylinder, and terrible acoustic geometry/speaker placement.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
If your stock speakers make a buzz or snap sound on bass notes then it is probably due to the outer paper surround detaching from the steel basket. This problem is easily repairable:

Procedure:
1. Remove speaker grill. Pry it off from bottom with plastic tool or flat screw driver.
2. Remove speaker. (3 Philips screws and a 2 wire squeeze-release connector on back).
3. Inspect speaker and find where paper is detached from steel basket.
4. Lift the detatched paper in a section between two screw holes and remove debris/old glue/rust on basket.
5. Apply a bead of contact cement along the section of basket and press paper surround into cement. Lift it up again, let dry for 10 sec, then re-seat and press again to help the glue and steel bond. (I used small super magnets to hold together while gluing).
6. Once dry, repeat steps 4 & 5 for the other two sections of the speaker. If the paper has not lifted in one section, you may as well lift and re-glue as it will probably delaminate in the near future.
7 Finally, run a bead of sealant such as bathroom silicone caulking at margin where outer edge of surround meets the lip of the basket. This will hold the paper for good.

Comments:
The stock speakers are made in Japan and actually sound fairly balanced for the car. I appreciate good audio and have reference headphones from Sennheiser and AKG as well as Magnapan and PSB Stratus Gold speakers HOWEVER; most cars are terrible audio environments so quality sound is nearly impossible in any car. This is especially true for an Insight with very little road noise treatment, a noisy unbalanced 3 cylinder, and terrible acoustic geometry/speaker placement.
Thanks you i just repair my 4 speaker it sound vert Nice now.i just save 100$

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
thekanuk
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing