Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there - I'm planning on upgrading the head unit on my 2010 Insight to a Pioneer DVD unit ( http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P4100DVD ). The new head unit has a rear USB port, so you can run your own cable to wherever in whatever car you're putting it in.

I haven't gotten around to ripping the old unit out, yet. So my question is - Is it possible to use the existing USB harness (The one that goes under the armrest) with an aftermarket head unit? I'm trying to figure out if its just a USB male that goes into the stock head unit, or if it's some proprietary connector.

Thanks!
-Eq

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just notice your post, looks a liitle old, but I was wondering if you found out what the story is. I have a Alpine CDA-9886 that has a usb interface in the back I about to install this weekend, and I'd like to be able to use the factory usb wire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there,

I did end up putting a AVH-P4100DVD from Pioneer in. The install was fairly easy. I did that with the Bluetooth module (So I can use my T-Mobile G1 for Pandora, or make phone calls).

Anyway - The connector that goes to the back of the factory head unit is some weird proprietary connector with way more conductors than a standard USB port. That then goes to a little box near the back of the center console which then makes its way up. The end of the wire you plug your device into (iPod, USB drive, whatever) is actually the end of a ~2 foot dongle.

When the weather is nicer (Its the dead of Winter here in NH) I'm going to toy with it some more. What I think I'm going to do is order up that dongle from Honda, part: 39114-TM8-A01. Yes, it costs nearly $50, and yes... its less than 2 feet long. I'd order the new dongle so if I modify it I can easily go back to stock by just re-installing the original hardware.

My plan is to run a longer USB cable from my new head unit (Its just a standard USB port on the back of that) to the center console, then modify the Honda part to work with the cable. My reasoning for this is because the dongle has a rubber "boot" molded in the middle to fit in a hole in the console. Also, I like the rugged design.

For now, though, the female end of the USB cable hangs a few inches out in the little tray in front of the cup holders. This, actually, is a fairly good location - but I would like to move it back to factory.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Awesome, if you remember to, take some pics and post it up on here once the weather is better. I feel your pain, I grew up 15 minutes from Manchester NH, and me and my friends fixed a lot of old rusty cars in 20 degrees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are only four pins at the USB connector - couldn't you just measure for continuity between the +5V, Gnd, Data +, and Data - lines between the USB connector in the armrest and this connector behind the radio and just splice in a male USB connector behind the radio? I say splice so that you can plug in the stock connector when you throw the stock radio back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I just bought an 11 insight and was curious to know if you ever got the USB interface to work with your Avic HU. In addition I was wondering if you got the steering wheel controls to work with the aftermarket radio. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts