1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( WHEN MY WHEELS SPATS WERE STOLEN YESTERDAY,
AND I FOUND OUT REPLACEMENT COST IS $5OO +
I ASK MYSELF HOW HONDA CAN PUT ON SUCH EASILY STOLEN
AND EXPENSIVE PARTS ON THIS CAR , TAKE NOTICE NO OTHER CARS HAVE THEM, ,AFTER REPLACING HOW TO DETER
FUTURE THEFT, VERY VERY UPSET OWNER,THANKS ANDY
OK,..THEIR AERODYNAMIC..THEY SAVE GAS.. $500.00 ???
I DON'T THINK SO!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Taxenergy:

___Not that this will help much but follow up with the Honda parts threads. You can obtain a spat for < $500 quite easily by using the search function …

___Secondly, have you ever priced an aluminum wheel and tire combo for just about anything on the road today? That combo is even easier to steal as all you need is a cinder block, jack, and a lug wrench … Oh, and after one of those are stolen, you don’t just lose aerodynamics, you lose the ability to drive!

___Just a thought given you are yelling at those that might be able to help …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2a4nkpzv][email protected][/email:2a4nkpzv]

·
Registered
214 Posts
I tend to agree with TAXENERGY

I wish they put more thought into a better systm of attaching these damn things
ONCE, after pulling into a local mall, I noticed the back of the drivers side wheel cover looked out of line, so after a closer look i noticed i had lost the screw (if you can call it that) I was soo thankfull that I found it before the whole damn thing fell off..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
What kind of idiot steels wheel skirts?

At any rate, the attachment mechanism is fine if you know how to use it. It's easy to not screw in the rear retaining screw all the way. You need to check after you finish. It take the skirts off everytime I wash the car, and have never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
FYI Andy,

Using all capital letters in *ANY* newsgroup is considered shouting and will usually get you ignored.

On a lighter note who says New Yorkers tend to be cold and uncaring? As close as it is to the holidays instead of stealing the whole car they only took the skirts! <VBG>

AFAIK retail for each skirt is around $150.00. You can find them on eBay from time to time or check for salvaged for much less $. Yes they are very pricy for plastic :(

More likely they were after the wheels but were interrupted.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Although I understand why you are upset, your anger is somewhat misdirected. You can't blame Honda for putting expensive, easily stolen parts on the car. Pretty much all cars have easily stolen, expensive parts. (consider how difficult it would be for someone to break off and steal the side mirror pods on virtually any car.) Cars are inherently expensive. A few thrown stones can incur thousands of dollars worth of damage on a car. Typically, resistance to vandalism is not a design parameter, unless you are looking for an armoured car.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Foxpaw said:
You can't blame Honda for putting expensive, easily stolen parts on the car.
Agreed. It sucks, but not the fault of the manufacturer. I had a steering wheel stolen out of my car once (not my Insight). It wasn't even a car with an airbag (which are often stolen since they can be resold), and they even left behind the locking nut. Pure vandalism, just like stealing an Insight's wheel skirts.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Taxenergy, what color is you car? I have a spare drivers side red one I might be willing to let go of a lot cheaper than Honda wants.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hmm...

This makes me want to Dremel my VIN on the inside of the skirts.

Perhaps it would be worth calling every salvage yard and used parts store in the area for skirts in your area for skirts. I'd also watch eBay for them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah really, why would anyone want to steal the wheel covers or panels off of your Insight anyways?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chris said:
Yeah really, why would anyone want to steal the wheel covers or panels off of your Insight anyways?
They would make excellent snow shoes, a set of snowboards or sleds. Or, perhaps they needed them because theirs flew off after a visit to the dealership for "service". They have never been able to put them on properly for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts