Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I read in these threads are guys driving 50 mph with everyone and their grandmother passing them on the highway... my God people, MPG is not everything....

I love my insight but I get no respect in it cause of all the slow insight drivers out there.... that is until they see my 3cylinder engine fly past them @ 90 mph on the highway... even uphill!

What I'm trying to say is, don't let people think we're weak, then they cut us off, try to run us off the road with the big fat SUV's etc.. I Say don't let it happen!! Show them who's boss even if it means a 10-15MPG loss, you'll get to work faster and you'll smile more offten too :)

Sorry for the rant and thank you for your time :D

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Brn2drv:

___There are only 3 or 4 of us that actually drive the limits I think :lol:

___Besides, I have a nice and reasonably large lux SUV in the garage to play with if things get out of hand ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1h1fthiy][email protected][/email:1h1fthiy]

·
Registered
200 Posts
born2drv, I live in the Baltimore area, where the drivers are absolutely crazy and they'll cut anyone off, size of car irrelevant, if you don't get your nose up in the space they want to take before they make their move. I've decided that, in this environment anyways, the best defense is a good offense, so my Insight is virtually always at 80+ mph when I'm on the Superslab. I'd say that folks around here get a good look at my Insight, but I'm blowing by them too fast to probably even catch a glimpse of what just flashed past them. Sure, my lmpg (54.5 through almost 65K miles) isn't nearly what most other members probably get, but I don't care, there isn't another car that can cruise at well over the posted limit and still get in excess of 50mpg. But its funny, because even though I don't often see other Insights, when I do I'm usually blowing past them too! So, if you anyone wants to catch a glimpse of me in my Silver Racepod, better look in the far left lane because normally that's where I'll be!!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Those who commute from North GA into Atlanta witness me zooming at 80+mph. I do wish I could reads the minds of people when I fly by :)

Yes my LMPG is 58. But I do slow down on the last few miles of my trip when traffic picks up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Insight has changed my driving habits more than I could have ever thought possible. I used to be the guy that did 90MPH past everyone and jockeyed for position all the time. Getting irritated at everyone who was going too slow...the speed limit or under. I always said, I'll go as fast as the road and the person in front of me will let me, with my radar dectector at the ready.

Now my stess level while driving is non existent. I laugh at the people who do what I used to and pass me with the pedal to the floor only to put on their brakes and have me pull up next to them at the next stop light.

I'm smiling all the time now because I'm more at ease and not worried about who's going to beat me somewhere. I know I'll get there, and I'll get there safer, wiser, and with more gas saved than most everyone on the road. It makes me feel good that I'm not wasting resources and getting the best MPG that I possibly can while driving a car that pollutes less than most too.

My Insight driving has changed the way I drive my other vehicles as well. I never thought I could be so at ease behind the wheel.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I only wish I could drive fast in Seattle. See the thing with Seattle traffic is that there are too many morons who drive slow in all lanes. It's very, very, very, very, very, very annoying to be in what is supposed to be the fast lane and you are only going 50mph. We have way too much right lane passing and it's just an overall nightmare to drive here. This is one of the major reasons I take my Insight to the race track. You get a nice controlled environment to speed like hell and everyone has the same rules. 8)

Now, if only we could get speed designated lanes everything would be allright. :wink:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Although I do not consider myself in the 50mph crowd, I am someone who is now much more conscious about driving the speed limit. Why? Why not, I say. It is the law, correct? I certainly do not see any harm in driving the speed limit. I also am the role model of my three young boys. If I was driving 65 mph, when the signs clearly say 55mph speed limit, how could I justify my actions?
If there is a need to react to something on the road, or worse yet, an accident, 10 mph can make a big difference.
I have made mistakes in the past and gotten speeding tickets for my mistsakes. I am certain that I will not be getting any tickets since I've gotten my Insight. It has changed my driving habits, for the better. It has taken a lot of stress out of my daily commute.
I say, drive the speed limit, or even slightly below, and you can never go wrong.

·
Registered
536 Posts
stop driving so slow!!

Hey, born to drv,
If its respect your after driving ninety mph won't achieve it.
Take my word for it, ive been there, done that, and it achieves nothing,zilch,zero.In fact maybe thats not entirely true its more likely to have the opposite effect,so if you are truely after "respect" I would recommend driving sensibly for as they say the life you save might be mine....no I mean your own :wink:

DGate

·
Registered
140 Posts
Interesting topic...of course I give the big "to each their own" as far as how you want to drive your car.

My personal opinion is that the best "image" for the car would be keeping up with the flow of traffic and passing some of the slower cars. My thought is if other drivers get used to seeing hybrids perform at or slightly above the level of other cars on the road, they'd be more likely to look at one. If they continually see "hybrid vehicle" as "the one guy creeping up the hill at 45 when the speed limit is 60 and everyone wants to run 70", they'd be more likely to develop a dislike of hybrids.

I do feel sorry for all you guys that have to put up with monster rush hour traffic. I have always thought that is one of the great mysteries of life...a couple of blue-hair old ladies, or one driver doing the rubber-neck can bring 6 lanes of interstate traffic to a crawl, yet you continually see an endless stream of videos on TV where 50 cops are chasing a single guy and can't get him to stop. :?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Corey872 said:
My personal opinion is that the best "image" for the car would be keeping up with the flow of traffic and passing some of the slower cars. My thought is if other drivers get used to seeing hybrids perform at or slightly above the level of other cars on the road, they'd be more likely to look at one. If they continually see "hybrid vehicle" as "the one guy creeping up the hill at 45 when the speed limit is 60 and everyone wants to run 70", they'd be more likely to develop a dislike of hybrids.
These are my sentiments, too. Evangelist that I am.... :wink: not

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I must admit that these past few weeks I've gotten rather a kick out of passing Prii. They've apparently gotten more popular in the last couple of months, as I now see one or two most weeks, trudging along in the slow lane, while I'm doing around 70 mph - and 90-100 mpg :)

I've found that slowing to around 55, at least on the route I regularly drive, seems to give worse mpg than my usual 65-75. And as previously mentioned, I'm usually the first away from the light :)

I don't think the Insight has changed my driving style all that much. I always did try to time lights, leave plenty of space ahead, and so on. If anything, I get more irritated at people who cut in ahead and slam on their brakes at lights, or who pass on the right when the left lane is perfectly clear.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Y’know how every once in a while you have one of those drives when everything goes smoothly, people merge politely, slow people get out of the way, fast drivers do so responsibly, you notice people reacting to situations farther up ahead than normal and it seems like everyone around you is a professional driver? Yeah well they don’t happen to me that often either, but they do happen sometimes and when they do I notice it and savor it and tell people about it when I get home. :wink:

I think it mostly comes down to awareness. Not just of your immediate driving environment but also of yourself. It is very hard to know what all people think of us all of the time because our desires are so diverse. The self image someone has when driving down the road in Import Luxury Car model SeX may be one of power and prestige, 8) but to someone else they may appear to be just another self centered egotistical jerk. :evil:

Stereotyping drivers by their ride may be a natural tendency but it does everyone a disservice (including you). Why get your blood pressure up just because you see another one of “those” cars? You don’t have to read far in this forum before you realize how different most of the contributors are from each other. If Insight drivers can’t be stereotyped then who can? I think it is much more important to notice how aware drivers are rather than how fast they are going. There can be a big difference between driving slowly and blocking traffic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know I'll be honest... I used to be prejudiced against smaller/underpowered cars too. I used to drive a toyota supra turbo... very quick, no one dared to try and get in front of me, speed ahead of me, cut me off, etc. I felt like I was king of the road.

But in this insight it's TOTALLY different... I feel like a court jester :p I noticed everyone's mindset and behavioral changes on the road immediately. People assume I drive at a snail's pace... then I see other hybrid drivers driving so slow and it just feeds the stereotype.

That's what I mean about respect, not that I care about what other people think about me on the road or anything, just that they dont' assume they can bully me off the road :) In LA there are tons of SUV's and high end german cars, so people see the hybrid and assume its a lightweight contender they have no problem beating up :)

I just wish some automakers made some high end hybrids to dispell the myth that hybrid = underpowered... but rather make people realize hybrid = efficiency.

·
Registered
65 Posts
born2drv said:
I just wish some automakers made some high end hybrids to dispell the myth that hybrid = underpowered
Coming this fall to a Lexus dealership near you: "The hybrid that puts luxury in a whole new class" the ad says, or something like that.

My favorite thing to do is start up the Grapevine on the way to work next to some huge SUV and watch him slow down, down shift, slow down some more, then I cruise away from him up the hill. That's gotta hurt! Of course, they always catch me on the downhill side, going by at 90. The funny thing is, they probably used 5 gallons just to go up and over, while I used about .25, if that.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
" I wish some auto makers made some high end hybrids"

Coming this fall to a Honda dealership near you .......The 2005 Accord hybrid will be the most powerful Accord ever, and get the mileage of a Civic!

Then you can say "my dad's an Accord hybrid".

·
Registered
75 Posts
90?

I don't really like to go THAT fast, maybe 85... but I am out in the sticks, or should I say - cactus of Arizona. I was visiting The Scottsdale/Tempe area yesterday and I am very pleased that the Insight can keep up with all of the crazy city traffic. Going back to the wilds of eastern Arizona is much more comforting. The 68 - 70 mpg I get in racing around the Phoenix area is not fun.

My lonely communte to work, 100 miles a day at 79/80 mpg is much better.

I am glad that MOST of the time it is ADMIRATION, not disgust and disresoect that I get in my Insight., especially at the gas station. :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
How about the "Insight Pass..."

You know the one:

Here you are in your Insight, going at or just above the speed limit, when someone passes you on the left... goes up a car length or two... then realizes he's just passed something reeeeally unique, takes his foot off the accelerator, and drifts back (no brake lights, gotta be cooool) until you catch up so he can get a better look... then a smile or a wave (or the reeeeally coooool customers, no apparent ogling at all, just straight-ahead staring), and back on the pedal to speed away.

Once in a while, it's a van full of kids who yell and scream (we think): "Mom! You passed an Insight! Go back! Go back! Go back!" Next thing you know, there is a vanful of kids with their noses pressed to the windows, waving like little mad people. :wink:

If this has happened to My Beloved and me once, it has happened a thousand times. Too fun... :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Boogetyboogety:

___Good points and I have seen this more then once as well … Just this morning an SUV full of kids had their smiling faces pasted to the side windows while the mom or dad slowed down just a tad to take a look. I wave and it brings a smile to my face as well ;) 2 or 3 times per commute I get the smiles and/or wave or the occasional fast mover that slows down to pace just to check her out … I personally think it’s the rear fender spats myself ;)

___In the bigger scheme of things, one thing that I believe helps me here in Chicago’s traffic nightmare and I hope some of you find it useful in your own locales is that I only use ~ ½ of the far right lane as my Interstate when traffic is near. My right front tire is only 2 or 3 inches off the right lanes solid white line in fact. It gives drivers coming up from behind at a much higher rate of speed a sense that something is amiss and that they might want to move around to clear. There are still the occasional drivers that haven’t a clue as to what is going on around them and run up on me at 75 + while I am doing 55 in the far right lane. Then comes the brake lights, turn signals, and even the occasional negative gesture from about 5 or 6 car lengths back but almost everyone sees me far enough ahead and has more then ample time to pass without the least bit of trouble to make their drive as well as mine as painless as it comes.

___As for respect from other commuters driving other various automobiles, I really don’t care about that. My respect comes when I hit the fuel station once a week and our little beauties cost less then $20.00 for > 1,000 miles of travel. I respect my Insight for her mileage capability irregardless whether the guy or gal driving past me disrespects my Insight or any hybrid for any reason that I may or may not understand …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:jgk14hj5][email protected][/email:jgk14hj5]

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's a been a very long time since I last visited the board. This is an interesting topic.

Both my wife and myself drive my car, for the same reason: it gets great gas mileage. I live in Sacramento now, so almost all of my driving is stoplight to stoplight on city streets. I don't get nearly the mileage I did when I lived in New Jersey and commuted on the interstates. Still, it's a kick to go more than two weeks between fill-ups.

I take my Insight for granted now. I drive it more conservatively because it has taught me the expense of a heavy foot. I like the regen when I let my foot off the gas, so I slow down much farther away from a light than a typical driver. I see the futility of speeding up to get in front of someone just to cut in front of them at a light.

May we all enjoy our cars, for they are the first of the new breed of vehicles. It's been over one hundred years that the internal comustion engine has been the prime mover. This is just at the beginning of change to electrical drives.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
That's a good point made that one doesn't want to drive so slowly that it makes the world think ill of hybrids.

If traffic is quick, I will keep up. I figure it's better to lose a few mpg than get in a wreck or cause one by not driving to the conditions of the traffic flow.

When there isn't any traffic around, I'll fool around with going slow up hills and other tricks.

Overall, it sure is relaxing to be happy to drive at speeds near the limit instead of way over.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts