Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,526 Posts
I must admit that these past few weeks I've gotten rather a kick out of passing Prii. They've apparently gotten more popular in the last couple of months, as I now see one or two most weeks, trudging along in the slow lane, while I'm doing around 70 mph - and 90-100 mpg :)

I've found that slowing to around 55, at least on the route I regularly drive, seems to give worse mpg than my usual 65-75. And as previously mentioned, I'm usually the first away from the light :)

I don't think the Insight has changed my driving style all that much. I always did try to time lights, leave plenty of space ahead, and so on. If anything, I get more irritated at people who cut in ahead and slam on their brakes at lights, or who pass on the right when the left lane is perfectly clear.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
"Why are so many worried about an Insight’s or Hybrid’s overall perception?"

Why? Because I think this part of the world would be a rather nicer place if fewer people drove oversized gas hogs, that's why :)

And if showing off my Insight convinces people to buy smaller, fuel-efficient cars, and so helps make the world a better place in addition to improving my own personal enjoyment of life... Well, that's just a little bit extra.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
"Also, aggresive drivers are the ones who get run off the road (by the more aggressive), not slow drivers."

This is not my experience, and from the studies I've read about, it is not supported by data. In the main, it is people who drive at speeds much different than the average flow of traffic that create the greatest danger. Doesn't matter whether that speed's faster or slower.

"respecting other's rights to drive the speed limit or slower and in whatever vehicle they choose"

But not in whatever LANE they choose, dammit! If you're going to drive slow, stay in the right lane, and if you're on a two-lane mountain road, take the hint provided by all the signs that say "slow vehicles must use turnouts".

PS: Yoo know something? I can't remember a single instance, in all the years I've been driving, when another driver irritated me just by driving too fast. But the slow ones... well, if I had a nickel for each, I could buy a second Insight :)

· Registered
1,526 Posts
You can either look at the world the way you think it ought to be, or the way it actually is :)

Maybe that old lady doing 45 in the fast lane "ought" not to cause accidents. Maybe you could even argue that the slow driver is not morally responsible for such accidents. The fact remains: when you have one vehicle going much slower than the flow of traffic, the chance of an accident happening goes way up.

"...just what the CHP always says about driving to the traffic and road conditions..."

That is just what I'd like to do: drive at a speed at which I feel comfortable, given traffic, road conditions, chance of speed traps, etc. Is it my fault that that speed is generally 10-20 mph above the posted limit?

· Registered
1,526 Posts
"When traveling with the flow, one may only need to interact with the guy in front of you."

Exactly! And since I get over 70 MPG driving the way I do, I don't think I have anything to apologize for. As you say, one former SUV or muscle car driver driving an Insight to the max is worth a whole bunch of us trying to eke out those last few drops between 70 and 80.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
You know, now that I think back, the few times that I can recall being really nervous for a sustained period (excluding instants of panic, as when e.g. some idiot runs a red light on you) have all been when I was driving much slower than traffic for some reason: a heavy load on the pickup, running into sudden snow on the motorcycle, mechanical problems.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
"Take out your speed needs in the air..."

Except airplanes don't go all that fast, unless you fly low enough to annoy the coyotes :) Got a Cherokee 180 myself, and 140 mph or so feels like standing still at a few thousand AGL.

No, if you really want to go fast, try windsurfing. Get a stiff breeze, and lean until your head's just a couple inches above the waves. Speed's just a matter of perception :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.