Honda Insight Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts
Go fast - in 3 dimensions

I love to go fast. Always have. But when I find myself pushing the limits of the car &/or the conditions, I remind myself of all the things there are to bounce off of or crumple up against. Then, I go down to the airport, and rent a little plane, and go fast where there isn't anything else to hit. Far more enjoyable, safer, and my driving calms down immesurably. Can I suggest that you take a few weeks, and learn to fly. Take out your speed needs in the air, and leave the roads for those who want to get somewhere safely, and w/o stress. Happy landings, happy trails, Berk

Already there Berk. I live on an airpark, grass strip with a RV4, so I can get 160 knot rush with aerobatics whenever I want. The speed in commuting is a two fold necessity:
1. It is a very long distance (50 miles each way)
2. More importantly, the average speed is above 70. I learned from bike riding that you live longer going at least the speed of the flow. Going slower than the flow, no matter how legal and responsible, puts you at risk with the true maniacs (last bike accident I was hit from behind).
I also had similar idea as your bumper sticker, but mine will be my plate "50@80".

speed said:
...(last bike accident I was hit from behind)...
It's the rear-end collision I fear the most. In nearly thirty years of driving, I've been in an estimated nine collisions. Three of them were definitely avoidable, three more preventable with cautious driving, another three unavoidable, but six from behind. I've seen more people the last couple of years whiz by me at 120+ mph. Try as you might to look at the rear-view mirror, if someone pops up over the horizion that fast, you would be dead before you knew what happened.

Going 70-75 mph in Dallas but otherwise courteous and alert would be an improvement. In the mornings, I find myself at times at 70 mph and still in the lean-burn mode over several miles before going up slight inclines. I imagine that speed also gets up to freeway speed in a way that does not knock the mpg count too low.

speed, it seems there are a lot of wrecks on the I35E bridge over Lake Lewisville?

I agree that the majority of the accidents I have had since I first started driving were either my own fault, or I put myself into a position where I could not avoid the accident (thankfully many moons ago). I have avoided countless near misses, many with great measures required to do it. The hit from the rear was different, I never knew it happened. Unlike a car, you only have mirrors for the sides, directly behind is not visible, another reason for frequent lane changes, it makes it easier to keep track of who is behind you. Staying in one lane too long makes it easier to drift, loss of attention on two wheels will kill you around here. Driving motorcycles will make you safer, if you are not an idiot, since no one even tries to give you respect. I keep that attitude in all my vehicles, never assume the right of way.
Yep Delta, the lake bridge seems to breed accidents. I have taken the tollway many times when there are wrecks.
As for the MPG, since I do not have lean burn, I do not really suffer much when I have to accelerate hard. It seems my per tank average wanders little from about 53, and that is withalmost 400 lbs of load. I rarely drive alone, and the fiance always carries a bunch of "ballast".

RV4? That is one very cool aeroplane. Ive been a passenger twice, and considered building one, but opted for an aluminum car.

I agree, the RV4 is pure sex with wings. Even though I am a great fabricator, and have been an aircraft mechanic my whole life, I did not build mine. My ex wife would have been an ex much sooner if I had. She left, and I still have the plane, and a fiance that likes to fly. Life is good. I changed my mind about wanting a bumper sticker bragging about my MPG at speed, now I want a LED readout in the rear window, real time rubbing it in with MPG display!

"Take out your speed needs in the air..."

Except airplanes don't go all that fast, unless you fly low enough to annoy the coyotes :) Got a Cherokee 180 myself, and 140 mph or so feels like standing still at a few thousand AGL.

No, if you really want to go fast, try windsurfing. Get a stiff breeze, and lean until your head's just a couple inches above the waves. Speed's just a matter of perception :)

At 195 MPH the RV is a tad fast for crop dusting.

I like the idea of the led readout. Anyone know how to hack into the dash display?

I used to have a cherokee 180! Actually, I am on a grass strip, and do 165 knot low level passes at 6', pretty good perspective. I have enough energy to pull the power off at end of the strip and do a 1.5 g pullup into a 90 degree bank, flaps out at 90 degrees in upwind and when I roll out I am at pattern altitute at 90 knots ready for landing. No, I am not a student pilot, have a few hours in the RV, and yes I have aerobatic training.
I think one of our techie friends aught to be able to tell us how to make an led display for rear window, c'mon guys!

Hi speed- I love your rear LED MPG readout idea. But, out here in Cal. we have a plentiful supply of attorneys and folks that do not like to take responsibility for themselves. The combination lends itself to liability paranoia. I would be concerned that not only might such a readout increase one’s chances of getting hit from behind (see previous posts) but also increase the chance that you would be blamed for it. :shock:

I would be concerned that not only might such a readout increase one’s chances of getting hit from behind (see previous posts) but also increase the chance that you would be blamed for it.
You could always have a proximity sensor wired into the LED display to flash "Back Off" when tailgaters get to close. I don't think having an LED screen in the back window would lead to an accident with other vehicles. The led would be highly visable and there would be no need for the following vehicle to tailgate you to read it.

Not sure about Cali but in Wash state if someone hits you from behind it is generally assumed to be 99% their fault. the visual distraction would be the same as a bumpersticker and those aren't outlawed. :wink:

Scrolling L. E. D. rear window read - out

I've often thought how handy it'd be to have a scrolling L.E.D. read-out for the rear window. Besides MPG, there could be a menu key-pad in the cab to snap any of a list of pre-made messages onto the board at the push of a button. The possibilities for this are endless, and it'd be likely to catch on in a big way, no doubt.
There's a nitch for a electronic whiz out there. - Just remember, when you're fabulously wealthy as a result of exploiting the idea you learned of here, to kick back into the alternative energy fields, and alternative transportation R&D, to keep the energy moving positive.
Evolve, Enjoy, Berk

Here's an interesting twist in this discussion...

On the weekend, I attended an RX-7 meet in the Insight. The meet included a several hundred KM long cruise through Quebec and Ontario. We certainly didn't follow the speed limits, and you certainly wouldn't either since the Gatineau region of Quebec has the greatest roads ever. My Insight spent most of it's time in 3rd and 4th gear, at redline and wide open throttle. The battery was below 1/4 at all times. Still, the car easily held it's own. I was able to maintain speeds of 100MPH+ and keep up with the pack....

Average mileage for that trip was 60 MPG. Amazing.

Rai Ka said:
...There *is* a "respect" factor, and here in Texas, the land of trucks and SUVs, the Insight and the MINI gets no respect at all...
Some of these big vehicle drivers are a highway hazard and seriously need their licences pulled until they demonstrate civilized driving.

Every week I go out to lunch with a work buddy. We were passing an elementary school with the windows rolled down. A police car was in plain view (they are very strict around schools). Some complete idiot was reving his engine - like I'm going to speed in front of the man in blue?! The nanosecond the cop turned, the truck blasted by me on the right. I forgot about my passenger and in my best bar room voice screamed "Ah had to kick butt!!!". OK, the guy is probably too much of an idiot to have been shamed by that. Yes, I'd been better off getting his license number - the police station was 200 yards away. Would have loved phoning him in to the police.

Old thread, but great discussion within and worthy of new posts and perspectives 8 years later on.

I'm one of those slow drivers. Partly to save gas, mostly because I avoid using my battery and without battery assist my car STRUGGLES to go past 55mph on moderate hills. So.. world, I would go faster.. if I could. :)

61 - 80 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.