Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I drive a 2001 5-speed that I bought used last sept. When I bought it it had 27,000 miles on it with a lifetime mpg of 56.1. My first drive in it (600 miles from Wisconsin to St. Louis, MO) I got 72 mpg, but since then I have struggled to get above 56 mpg (well, except on over 1000 mile trips when I could get around 66mpg.)
Here's my question: Most of my driving is short distances - my daily commute is 8 miles one way with only 5 of those miles on the highway where I can get up to 5th gear. The remaining miles are street driving with stop signs at every corner. It's depressing watching my mpg drop while I drive the two miles towards the highway every day.
I find that when I can stay on the highway for a longer distance then my mpg gets better. Unfortunately I can't change the location of my workplace.

I generally try to get up to higher gears as quick as possible, i.e. 3rd gear from one stop sign to the next. I haven't tried increasing my tire pressure yet - will try that this week.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting better mpg?
Thanks.
INSIGHTS ROCK!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks for your help.
Most of these things I try to do already. I always have my eye on the instantaneous readout. I think one thing that makes it really hard is that we have a lot of rolling hills here in St. Louis and the stop signs are always at the foot of the hill. So I am always starting the car going up a hill in first gear. I find it almost impossible to get into lean burn inbetween stop signs.
I'll keep working on it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.