Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight CVT 160K and 2010 Honda Insight 106K w/NAV
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if I need to do anything special when storing a 2000 MT Insight with IMA battery that was refurbished last year. 12v battery is toast from sitting too long and I will probably pull it out. But what about the big battery?

·
Super Moderator
9,302 Posts
The old Insight genius Mike Dabrowsski once told me that it doesn't hurt to let a battery self discharge. You just want to make sure that you give it a good long balancing charge before you start the car in the spring. I've used that theory and it seems to work.

I'm sure he was talking about the Honda originals (Panasonic and Primeearth). The aftermarket Chinese sticks might work differently?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'm sure he was talking about the Honda originals (Panasonic and Primeearth). The aftermarket Chinese sticks might work differently?
^^^^ this.

If original Honda cells, I'd get the car as charged as possible and not worry about it, then let it idle for 15 minutes (supervised) after reconnecting the 12V and powering it up. (This should charge the cells and perform the idle learn procedure needed after 12V disconnect).

If aftermarket, I've seen these get worse from rest, albeit it was about a year. In this case I would take the car for a long drive (at least an hour of good hills?) every month, then park it with the batteries full. (This is one reason why the forum generally suggests getting aftermarket packs with 5 year warranties.)

Reactions: matt2001

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight CVT 160K and 2010 Honda Insight 106K w/NAV
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would take the car for a long drive (at least an hour of good hills?) every month, then park it with the batteries full. (This is one reason why the forum generally suggests getting aftermarket packs with 5 year warranties.)
Can't, it's got problems. Was told it's a bad transmission but haven't been able to get it started to check it out. 12V is less than a year old but totally dead. I think I finally got it charging up unless my "Genius Charger" is lying. I saw it running yesterday (after a jump). It was idling really ruff. Dealership said to leave it running for 15 minutes to charge the battery but I don't think that works on these cars. When I shut the car off it would not start and the dashboard went completely dark after a minute. Got it towed today and spent the last 6 hours trying to charge the 1 year old Honda installed Honda battery..... hopefully will be able to learn more tomorrow. But it could snow here any day so I want to be prepared. I do have a brandy new grid charger.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
With OEM cells, before storing you should discharge as much as possible, such as by driving with lots of assist or leaving it in autostop when you pull into your garage. I think the biggest problem for OEM cells is uneven self discharge, where one or a few cells discharge a lot faster than others, while others self discharge hardly anything, even over the many-months time period. If you discharge before storing, there won't be much room for uneven charge state: If the cells are between say 20-30% charged at storage time, then the most imbalance you can end up with is 30%, one or more cells at zero, others at 30%, when you bring the car out of storage... If you leave the pack 'full', then you can end up with maybe 75% imbalance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts