Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Insight 160K + miles (MT)

I put the tranny in nutrual and let out the clutch only to hear a > strange clicking (knocking) sound coming from the bell-housing (I think). The sound goes > away with the cluth pedal pushed in, or even if the pedal is pushed > down 3/8" - enough to remove all of the "slack" in the system.

Any ideas before I take it to AAMCO

(yes, I know, replace the trans fluid)

Thanks,

James Meskill
Concord, NC

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: strange clicking (knocking) sound from the tranny (I thi

darwin9x said:
Any ideas before I take it to AAMCO

(yes, I know, replace the trans fluid)
First _make sure_ the noise is in the bell housing. Such is somewhat unsusal without other clutch related symptoms (e.g. gear clash on shifting).

If it comes to "changing" the MT oil then carefully inspect an average sample of the oil. Lightly stir the oil collected in a _clean_ container. If you see a light metallic sparkle its not good.

Unless you know your local AAMCO's reputation and they have extensive Japanese expereince they would be last on my list. Find a import specialty shop that knows Hondas.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure of the type of pressure plate that Honda uses now, but in the 'ole days' it was a diaphram type, and if a finger breaks you would have that type of sound. Also, this is the sound a worn out throw-out bearing makes. Either way it means a clutch job. Good luck... :cry:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Repair Complete - Clutch and Trans

It was a Tranny problem and a Clutch problem. :(

Tranny - had some worn-out teeth on the REV and 3rd gear and the bearing was shot.

Clutch - FRICTION DISK was shot and the FLYWHEEL was worn so I had them replace it as well.

Got the work done at AAMCO; they did a great job and cost me less then the dealer, but it took them a few more days then it should have. They did talk with Honda of Lake Norman (NC) and got the repair pages and Special Gloves needed for the job, so it was fine by me.

The car shifts like new and the clutch it like butter, once again.

So, here is my Mastercard T.V. spot:

Owner of a 2000 Honda Insight; with 163,000 miles of trouble-free driving fun - $20,000
New IMA and control modules - free
New Cat Converter and O2 switch -$300
Rebuild Tranny and Clutch - $1360
The fun of driving past the pump charging $2.50/gal for another 163,000 miles - Priceless

James Meskill
2000 Insight
55/mpg

Insight - 163,000/55=2963*1.8gal=$5333.40
Other - 163,000/32=5093*1.8gal=$9168.75

Gas savings over the last 6 years ($3835.35)

Gas Price History
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleu ... story.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts