Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,058 Posts
It's definitely an internal transmission problem. Sometimes the bearing doesn't just grind...sometimes, it makes a weird noises shortly before experiencing a rapid unplanning disassembly.

I rebuilt a transmission in a customer car that sounded similar to what I heard in the video. The bearing cage on the (bellhousing side) input shaft bearing was starting separate and break. I also tore down another transmission where it was run until the bearing cage had completely exploded and released bits of shrapnel throughout the rest of the transmission. It was bad, real bad.

I tend to err on the side of caution. I rebuilt the transmissions on both of my Insights (one at 110k miles and the other at around 130k) because the bearings were starting to get noisy.

Could I have gotten away with running them longer? Yes, definitely.
Do I regret doing it "early" and being proactive so I don't also have buy replacement gears? No regrets. I would do it again.

I will say again, you need a transmission rebuild. The longer you drive it like it is, the greater the likelihood you will also need a core alongside said rebuild.

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
It sure sounds like the input shaft bearing to me.
Sam

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's definitely an internal transmission problem. Sometimes the bearing doesn't just grind...sometimes, it makes a weird noises shortly before experiencing a rapid unplanning disassembly.

I rebuilt a transmission in a customer car that sounded similar to what I heard in the video. The bearing cage on the (bellhousing side) input shaft bearing was starting separate and break. I also tore down another transmission where it was run until the bearing cage had completely exploded and released bits of shrapnel throughout the rest of the transmission. It was bad, real bad.

I tend to err on the side of caution. I rebuilt the transmissions on both of my Insights (one at 110k miles and the other at around 130k) because the bearings were starting to get noisy.

Could I have gotten away with running them longer? Yes, definitely.
Do I regret doing it "early" and being proactive so I don't also have buy replacement gears? No regrets. I would do it again.

I will say again, you need a transmission rebuild. The longer you drive it like it is, the greater the likelihood you will also need a core alongside said rebuild.
I added some Ceratec this time. Thanks for all the info btw.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My professional opinion: A transmission rebuild is in your future.

If you are interested, I work with Scott at Jue Motors and we rebuild Insight manual transmissions. The transmission is completely disassembled, cleaned and inspected, all new bearings and seals, synchro tab-ectomy, the works.

We can also do core exchanges.

Is it popping out of any gears yet?
Downshift grind into 2nd or 1st gears?

Edit: Also here's why I strongly suspect the transmission.
The noise is loudest in 1st gear. 1st gear is closest to the bellhousing side input shaft bearing. This puts more load on that bearing, which is also usually (but not always) the bearing the goes bad faster than the others.

It sounds to me like the the noise drops in frequency after the shift to second gear. This tells me that the problem is input shaft related.
The Input Shaft Bearing was my first thought.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts