Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was trying to replace my incabin filter and following Figs direction I used a 10mm wrench to take off that bar behind the plastic strip which i cut away....

The bolt was sooo tight i stripped it, then I used a locking wrench and stripped it worse, any ideas lol

Thanks

Stephen

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Well...

But considering how much "damage" you were able to do with a mere wrench suggesting the next "mormal" step of drilling the head off the bolt may be more that you want to risk. ;) :p (a good quality 6 point box end or socket _may_ still be able to grab it)

Hope you were using the box end of the wrench. Else soulds like another screw-up from a previous filter change. :( (cross threaded)

Once the bolt is removed "cleaning-up" the threads with a tap (should be a 6x1.0mm) would be then next step. As non critical as this bolt is there are several other options for repair if the thread are simply too far gone.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
When I replaced my filter (first time), it required TREMENDOUS force to remove it. I pushed so hard that when it broke free, I slammed my hand into something and cut it ("BAD WORDS!"). Luckily, I did not tear up the bolt head. Honda must use Loctite or something on these bolts to prevent them from working loose and squeaking.

If a 6pt socket won't still fit and you don't want to drill it out, you could try:

1.) A small pipe wrench - they grab really well if you can get in there and on the bolt head. To get enough leverage, put a piece of pipe over the wrench handle as an extension.

2.) Also spray the threads (from the back?) with penetrating oil.

3.) Sometimes heating the bolt with a propane torch can help, but I would not suggest that under the dash

Cutting (dremel tool, hacksaw) or grinding off the bolt head might get things apart, but you would still need to drill out the bolt itself.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Jim

·
Registered
242 Posts
stripped bolt

Stephen - Sears makes a really good stripped bolt remover. The set I have here is a "Bolt-Out 10 piece Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Set" part number 952165. This set is for air drive, but it'll work fine with a regular ratchet. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
One thing I have done in the past to get out stripped bolts, is use a dremel to cut a slot in the bolt to use a BIG flat-head screwdriver. You can either use a really big/long driver to get a lot of leverage, or if you have a socket set that allows you to mate a flat-head bit to your rachet, or as a last resort you can use a really stout short flat-head driver and turn it with some locking pliers (only use this as a last resort as the pliers will chew up your driver's handle!)

Just make sure that you are using high quality (strong) flat-head drivers/bits or using the second two methods will destroy cheap bits/drivers!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions, I used a combination of a few

I bought some penetrating oil and sprayed it on the back, I then purchased a Mastercraft striped bolt socket set (19 bucks at Cnd tire) and with very little effort was able to remove the bolts

When I took the metal bar off, the 2 nuts which are spot wleded on the back were rusted, the penetrating oil i think did the trick

also, im guessing because the plastic bar was in tact (I had to cut through it) that the filter had never been replaced. I put in a Micron Air filter which i purchased from Cnd. tire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts