Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems like my MPG is stuck at 57.8 and wont budge up at all. Over the weekend I traveled to Pittsburgh from Philly and back and I tried all the lean burn tips etc as I could, but couldn't get above 57.8, no matter how hard I tried.
If it matters, I recently had my oil changed, the Mait Req'd light is on, and my tire preasure is around 45psi.

It is a 2000 with 107,000 on the clock. I drive just under 100 miles a day for work.

I'm trying to read into as many of these MPG issue threads as possible to find some answers before asking redundent questions!

What exactly is this upper grill block mod? This is one I yet to look into.

Any tips? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
6,916 Posts
How fast are you going? What is the terrain like?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got between 55-65mph. Half highway/ half stop and go lights etc.

The none highway parts are sometimes hilly, but the highway parts are mostly all flat.

Thanks!

·
6,916 Posts
Hmm. Seems a little odd, You should be able to cruise along at 70MPG at 55mph without much trouble.

Are the tires the OEM Bridgestone tires?

Are you sure you're fully aware of lean burn? Can you get the FCD up to 100+MPG then slowly notch it down to ~80MPG and maintain speed?

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
you say its stuck at 57.8 exactly, and you cant get above 57.8mpg. Are you sure you are using the FCD display correctly? Are you resetting the trip mpg to see how you do on a trip.

If the 57.8mpg is the lifetime mpg of the car for its 107k miles, then it will take a lot more driving to make it go up. Make sure the display is not set on the odometer.

I dont mean to offend, because I dont know your level of knowledge of this car, as I have known people who look at the LMPG screen and think thats the MPG they get everyday, but judging from your previous thread, you have had higher mpg before in this car, so that might not be it. But if lean burn is not working then it is more realistic to get in the 55mpg range.

·
6,916 Posts
you say its stuck at 57.8 exactly, and you cant get above 57.8mpg. Are you sure you are using the FCD display correctly? Are you resetting the trip mpg to see how you do on a trip.

If the 57.8mpg is the lifetime mpg of the car for its 107k miles, then it will take a lot more driving to make it go up. Make sure the display is not set on the odometer.

I dont mean to offend, because I dont know your level of knowledge of this car, as I have known people who look at the LMPG screen and think thats the MPG they get everyday, but judging from your previous thread, you have had higher mpg before in this car, so that might not be it. But if lean burn is not working then it is more realistic to get in the 55mpg range.
:D

I briefly thought it could be something like this, but then thought nahhh... I mean, what about tank to tank averages? Surely every Insight owner calculates their actual per tank MPG? ;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Is this "guess what my issues are"?

Let's start with this... when was the last time you:
changed the air filter, oil and oil filter, spark plugs, tranny fluid, what tires are you running adn at what pressure, etc? Give us info and we can help...

·
Registered
469 Posts
my turn guessing. philly to pittsburgh east to west, how were the head winds during the trip? and was this before the recent "heat wave" hit the north east?

Still is really low to me. even in a cvt with no lean burn i would be able to top those numbers. So i don't think lean burn is the complete problem, but i think it is part of the issue. tires could be part of the problem. Are all the under body panels in place? Where was the battery charge, was it sitting around 19 bars?

Tim

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys. sorry about not being too specific, I started this post at work during break so I didn't have much time to think it all out. (I will try to make a accurate descriptive post tonight)
As of this morning, a few miles into work I reset my trip mode and it seemed a lot more accurate today...
I think the real test will be back to Pittsburgh this weekend.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd say that number looks alot better :cool:

I know what you mean with only having alittle time to write up a thread. Eventually i get bored writing posts and i just want to get it out so when i get back on the computer there are a few answers waiting for me. Well hope the numbers stay high. let us know how the next trip is going.

Tim

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hoping it stays that way too! I have a new air filter that should be coming by the end of the week so maybe that'll help as well. :)

As for other questions,
the oil and filter were just changed last week.
the tires are the oem Potenza's everyone recommends at pressure around 50psi

I will try to type something more descriptive up after work.
Thanks for the help everyone!!

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Well..........were you using the lifetime indicator or the trip indicator before (58mpg?)

Willie

·
6,916 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but the FCD with the arrows is the life-time correct?
No. The lifetime MPG is on the odometer screen.

The car has four modes -

Odometer & LMPG
Trip A
Trip B
Segment <==>

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I am on my usual trip from Philly to Pittsburgh tissy and she has been running good all week until now.
Before I left I pumped up the tires to over 50psi, put my new k&n filter in, and filled it up with gas

I'm going between 63-70mph. Air is off. I don't know why but I'm averaging 52mpg right now. I don't understand what could be wrong!

Ugh how frustrating

·
6,916 Posts
I'll post what I said in your PM because it may help others.

It's probably the 63-70MPH part. ;) Try 55MPH.

It could also be a head wind. Even a slight one can make a big difference. If you're traveling at 55MPH, a 2MPH headwind will be like you were traveling 57MPH.

It could also be the route you're traveling. Sometimes it's hard to detect slight inclines, but they have a huge impact on your mileage. Before I take a road trip, I always check the weather patterns and also the overall elevation profile of the trip. This helps with what I call "MPG anxiety". If you are informed an you KNOW why you aren't getting good MPG, it makes it a lot less frustrating.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The OP mentioned that the oil had just been changed. I've noticed that these cars are very sensitive to the oil level; if it's too high, the FE will suffer. Even a mere half quart (or less) over will make the mpg's similar to when driving on a wet road with shallow levels of standing water. I try to keep the oil level in the middle of the range on the stick. Hopefully your issue has resolved itself by now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
7 Participants
diamondlarry
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing