Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all...after this disgusting mid march nor-easter here in CT, my car is stuck in my drive way, with no way for me to get to work...any ideas on how to get our beloved cars out of 6" of snow and ice? is there any way to shut off the electric motor so as to lessen greatly the tourqe to the wheels to try to get out easier(like shifting into second in a regular car)

·
Registered
338 Posts
um

start digging....she will be fine....

I drive thru 6-8 every year...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Until you "hit" a 6-8" ridge or chunk of snow/ice then you can rip several hundred dollars of underbody panels loose.

All low riding cars like our Insights need enough ground clearance (but most don't have the "extra" risk of aero underbody panels).

And like any lightweight car traction is more of a problem without the additional grip of snow tires. Drive in such conditions without them at your own risk :!:

Its your car and choice.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea...all the usual

believe me, if i had the choice, i would not be driving in this, i hate this weather...lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Insight has better traction in reverse than it does going forward, in snowy conditions. I have to back out of my drive way, in snowy conditions, cause it won't make it up the hill from a dead stop. Yeah, ripping out the under panels sucks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why does it have better traction in reverse? is this because there is so much weight over the rear wheels(the battery), so going into reverse shifts at least some of the weight over the front(driving) wheels?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
The Insight has better traction in reverse than it does going forward, in snowy conditions. I have to back out of my drive way, in snowy conditions,
I think I may have an expaination as to why it appears that the Insight does better in reverse in your driveway and it has nothing to do with weight proportion, reverse gear ratio or anything else on the car. This statement should be true with any front wheel drive car.

If your Insight is parked in your driveway and it starts to snow and it accumulates to the levels mentioned earlier. There is much less snow underneath the car. So when you start out in reverse, you do get better traction for the length of the car and in many cases, all you need is a bit of starting traction momentum to continue the rest of the way.

If your driveway is wide enough for two vehicles, you should be able to prove it. Back up the way you normally do. Pull forward while making a sharp turn (left or right) so that you whole car is in fresh snow. Do not contiune forward enough to starighten out to have a path where the front wheels can just backtrack in the same "rut".....Now that the car is stopped, align your steering to center and backup without using any forward gears.

The Insight is still heavier in the front. When you jack up the car to change the front tire, the rear tire is also raised enough to change it too. However, if you place the jack under the rear lift, the front tire does not raise enough to change it.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
joecvt said:
The Insight is still heavier in the front. When you jack up the car to change the front tire, the rear tire is also raised enough to change it too. However, if you place the jack under the rear lift, the front tire does not raise enough to change it.
That's the "key" Joe ;)

And like the "weight" shifting braking effect (front brakes of all cars do a significantly greater percentage of the "work") with FWD in reverse you also add to the "weight" of the drive wheels.

I guess ikhoudvanu199 just needs to practice driving in reverse at 30-50 MPH <crash / crunch> :oops: But given the list of "totaled" vehicles in his sig doesn't look like he's had much success practicing in the past. <sarcasm> :roll: :p

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess ikhoudvanu199 just needs to practice driving in reverse at 30-50 MPH <crash / crunch> :oops: But given the list of "totaled" vehicles in his sig doesn't look like he's had much success practicing in the past. <sarcasm> :roll: :p
hey...both of those were driving forward at the time ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
My car got stuck in some muck this weekend. My husband who is a native Bostonian was able to maneuver it fine. When i lived in Boston and drove a small Civic, i got stuck one and the way i got out was putting my floor mats under the tires for traction.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Invest in a set of snow tires for your Insight. After 4 years without, I finally put a set of Nokian RSI's on this year. Best $$ spent on my Insight.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
That storm left some really nasty snow/ice. It is so tough that I was able to walk the dog and never broke through the crust of the 6-8" of crap.

I have been playing with the idea of putting a snowblower tire chain on my drop down 5th wheel for some instant traction enhancement.
The weather is warming up, so you should be able to get loose by this afternoon.
;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya, ive actually been able to get out...took some shoveling and some pushing, but i managed to get out...cant wait for the spring...warmer weather means no snow and higher MPG :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
I almost got stuck in the snow this past weekend.
I pulled off the road in a State Park to access a trail for cross country skiing.
The snow was about 6 inches deep but there was deeper snow, over a foot, further off the road. My Insight slid into the deeper snow and me with no shovel, note always carry a shovel. Forward was no go but in reverse I pulled right out.
Having good snow tires is also essential.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Snow driving = set of Blizzaks, 2 sets of Alpine Premier chains- because when it gets really bad I chain up the back end as well, AND a snow shovel!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts