Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a steep gravel driveway. Scaling it in the Insight is challenging in the best of times.

Using low gear on the CVT is even worse.

I didn't have to drive much in bad winter weather last winter given work-from-home due to the pandemic.

I believe that may change this year.

I already have a set of Dunlop snows, but am considering picking up some studded Nokian Nordman 7s.

Anybody have any experience with them?

Discuss.

·
Super Moderator
872 Posts
I strongly dislike studded tires. They chew up the road surface and are quite noisy.

I have always found proper (non-studdable) snow tires to be more than adequate. The softer tread and siping make a world of improvement compared to standard tires.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to use studded snows on one of my Volvos. I liked them. My mechanic could always tell when I was passing his shop because he could hear me coming.

They are the only thing that allow me to climb my driveway in certain conditions. Noisy they certainly are.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I strongly dislike studded tires. They chew up the road surface and are quite noisy.

I have always found proper (non-studdable) snow tires to be more than adequate. The softer tread and siping make a world of improvement compared to standard tires.
I feel like it'd be one thing if Joule left them on the car all winter (or nine months like someone I know has done...) when it would snow maybe 2-3 times a year, for example. Personally, I try to swap on my winter tire set-up a day or two before the snow arrives. Then when the roads are clear, I go back to my all-seasons. It's evident it doesn't snow that much in my area compared to the region further north (upstate NY, ME, NH, VT, Canada...) where people rock snow tires all winter when it snows almost weekly.

On a steep gravel driveway covered in unplowed snow, when constantly driven will eventually turn into ice on the tire's tracks. I feel like this is where the studs can shine. If Joule didn't have the driveway that he mentions, I don't see a huge need for studded snow tires.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Julian hit the nail on the head. I would really only need the studs for my driveway.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Colorado allows studded tires without restriction, and I hear them occasionally in the summer. Our road surfaces are horrible due to lack of maintenance, but in any case it can snow in any month in the mountains, so some people just keep their winter tire setup on all year.

The "chain law" is in effect from September 1 to May 30. If you cause a lane closure due to traction problems in a snowstorm, you can get fined $600. That will buy a set of winter tires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is the issue motive force to get uphill or spinning the tires? Studs won't add power.

Does the gravel freeze solid? studs are mainly to grab on ice where even knobby/siped/winter tires slip.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Snow gets packed on it. Freeze/thaw = ice = no traction.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If it's just your driveway then I'd get some chains, they're a little bit of a pain to use but then you don't have the excessive noise all the time

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not "just" the driveway. Principally the driveway, but we do get some nasty conditions otherwise.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
330 Posts
Sand or salt on the driveway when it ices up?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Didn't see studded Hakas in our size. The "Nordman" line is Nokian's budget Hakas.

·
Registered
75 Posts
+++ on Hakkas... THE best snow I have ever used.
I have a second set of factory alloys with Hakkas (factory studded) .. Not quiet at ALL, but I commute up and down Parleys canyon for work and they have definitely saved my butt a few times! :)
((ALSO I had them on the car when I visited Scott to have my transmission rebuilt, and the looks the car got up on his lift in California were priceless!! I swear some people had maybe never seen such sorcery))

1 - 18 of 18 Posts