Honda Insight Forum banner

Stupid Puddles!

3271 Views 20 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  JustinGray
When I say Puddle.... I really mean small pond! I was driving to a workshop to get some work done on my race car. I slowed down to 15 mph to cross what looked like a small puddle in the road.

But no, stupid Atlanta and thier horrible drainage had left me a suprise half a foot deep pond in the middle of the road. The force of the water hitting the underbody covers on my car bent some of them backward. Now they are scraping on the ground!

I am going to take them off. I called the honda dealership today to price some new ones. The guy at the desk told me he didn't think the part I wanted existed and that I should bring the car in for service!

I am going to pull the panels off and take a look. As an Aerospace engineer, I do see some small benifit to the drag coefficicent of the car from these thigns. But if I can find a honda dealer that belives that they exist, I probably wouldn't pay more than 30 dollars for them!

Any one have a source for the part?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
I would be very interesting in making better "underbody aero plates" for the Insight. When I got my 2000 Insight back in January 04, it looked like it must have had a front end impact while moving because the plastic fender linings are all shredded up in front of the wheels as if the front bumper cover had been pushed back far enough for those linings to rub on the wheels while they were turning. Also, all the screw holes along those liners, as well as the screw holes for the plastic panels under the front end are all ripped out and the metal plate was dragging on the ground. I drilled new holes in all the plastic and secured everything with zip-ties as a temporary fix, but it seems like temporary has become permanant as it has been that way for a long time now. If anyone has any ideas for making replacement panels, please share your ideas. I'm willing to try just about anything before I go pay the Honda dealer $50-$60 per panel (5 total).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.