Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased an 02 CVT and was driving perfectly fine for a month commuting 110miles a day and was averaging roughly 52mpg. But recently when trying to maximize mpg with as light as throttle I can go, the car has start jerking when at the 19-25mph, 36-39mph, and 48-50mph range. It does not do this when at light throttle above 60mph. It is not throwing any codes what so ever. It seems like its trying to decide whether to go into regen or assist mode and is going back and forth. My mpg has dropped to 48mpg. I had thought the CVT version does not have lean burn but could this be a lean burn issue?

I have read that there was similar issue with MT when in lean burn and it was their rear O2 sensor hence not throwing a code. I had thought the CVT version does not have lean burn but could this be a lean burn issue? I was wondering if this could also be the issue with CVT. I have checked the fluid and it does smell tad bit burnt and was planning on changing the fluid anyways as it is new to me.

Any advice would help

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like O2 sensor or EGR needs to be cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,231 Posts
Pat, are you seeing any warning lights on the dash? You may have diagnostic codes stored in the ECM(Engine Control Module) which would help diagnose any potential sensor issue. Stomish could well be right. The ECM can be given a quick check by just unplugging it at its harness plug. Be careful with the plug since it is a double latch. You have to release the plug from the metal bracket first before unplugging, otherwise you will break the plug latch. You will have to take the plastic cover off the engine to get at the plug.

After you unplug the EGR, drive the car and see if the roughness is eliminated. There is a more complicated, slightly better, way to test the EGR, but it requires that you remove the valve, which will then likely require a new gasket.

The EGR valve is very slow to cause engine codes, so you may not have any showing. There are P3xx codse for rough running, but they too are notoriously slow to show. Rather than giving MPH ranges, can you tell us whether the roughness is always at the same engine speed(RPM). Sounds like it might be.

Any warning lights, like the Check Engine Light(CEL) would be particularly helpful in diagnosis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts