Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've just recently bought my 2001 Insight. The first thing I did was get rid of the paper speakers and put in 4 6.5" XPlods all around. I would like a little more bass, but I don't want to use the shoebox sub because it's only a 6". I want to put an 8, 10 or 12 between my 6.5" speakers in the back speaker slots, behind the "cargo net". It will probably take a shallow mount sub. I know I would have to cut a hole in the aluminum. I would probably put the amp in the CD changer slot and then throw a cover on the sub to protect and conceal it.

Has anyone done this? Is there enough space?

Any advice or experience would be great. I'm probably going to take the aluminum off sometime soon to check the clearance.

Peace!

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I have a surface mount box listed in the For sale sections, or will sell the subs separately. There are pics in the post. They are JBL GTO804 8". They sound really good, I just don't need them as I bought a stealth box with a square kicker.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i have a 10" subwoofer on the shelf right behind the passenger seat in a regular sub box(like the kind you can get at walmart). i have the amp next to the "trunk" where the shoebox sub is designed to go

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's cool. But I'm actually looking to see if there is anyone who has a sub in the wall between the rear speaker ports. I would like more of a stealth setup like that instade of the sub hanging out in the hatch.

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts

I guess that would be a yes? How much you looking to spend? This is obviously no Walmart system. BTW, this is the same box that uhtrinity has in his Insight (running the L5).

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ok, one more. The sub area is also fully Dynomatted to prevent rattles (which are far above average if you're not carefull.

Reactions: markmreaves

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not to be a post whore here, but I just realized what you said...

anyone who has a sub in the wall between the rear speaker ports
You do realize that that wall is unusable, right? Your battery, inverter, ect. all sit directly behind that "wall". That area is so shallow that Honda actually molded the battery air duct to allow room for the left speaker magnet. It may be possible to use the spare tire area and come forward with a port that exits about where the center consol pocket is, but it would be a major undertaking and you would have to keep in mind the electrics cooling ports.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey, man. That's exactly the info I needed! Thanks. You told me that there is no room between the seats on the back wall and that was what I was wondering.

As of right now, I have Sony Xplods x4 and a Sony deck with a 4ch Sony amp under the passenger seat. I love that kicker setup you and trinity have. It's out of the way and can't be seen. perfect. I looked around a bit and saw that ExpertFabricator doesn't seem to be selling boxes at the moment, or at least as far as I can tell... Do you know who would be willing to sell me a box or a box with the sub in it? I'd pay what I need to pay for it. I figure $50-150 for the custom box + $70 for the older sub or more for one of the nicer, newer ones, and I'm OK with those prices. I would love to have a sony sub, but I can deal with a kicker - it looks like the frequency response is comparable to the sonys. (I've never heard them before, just always worked with sonys and I've been happy with their sound, but I'd probably be happy with kickers.)

I have a couple other questions for you, if you don't mind. Do you get some distortion from your rear speakers? Have you put anything behind them to dampen the distortion - like dynomat or a custom box? If dynomat, how much do you think I need to get for that and the sub spot? I've never worked with it before, just kinda dealt with rattling, but it'd be great to get rid of it.

Lastly, can you post a couple pictures of the tint on your car?

Thanks for all the help and your time!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I still have my old box with the 2 8"JBLs listed in the for sale section. That thread also has pics of the box in my car. I think the price is reasonable, though shipping is high due to size and weight. If interested pm me or make an offer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
For some reason, something on this site has frozen IE twice while trying to reply to your post. Hopefully it works this time.

I have no distortion from my rear speakers. Perhaps you have your bass turned up too high to compensate for the lack of a sub. I have emailed expert fab to alert him to this post so hopefully he responds soon. Be aware though that the cost of the box is a bit higher then any prices you posted. It is worth it though. BTW, the Kicker solos are far superior to Sonys and I am running the 450w version which is just sick.

I'm not entirely sure what you wanted as far as the tint goes, so here is a general pic of my car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey man. Thanks for posting this stuff. I look forward to the info from Exp Fab. Nice looking car. I'm excited to hear the kicker if it's as good as you say it is. I'm definitely OK with paying more if it is a quality product, made with love. :)

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
702 Posts
sorry to hijack

but im just wondering what your other bumper stickers say, and where you got them?

·
Registered
416 Posts
sorry to hijack

but im just wondering what your other bumper stickers say, and where you got them?

Top of the window... "InsightCentral" with "Kicker" directly below it/ custom made (mall)
Lower window... "I'm not driving too slow, your speeding"/ bought at a store in Cali
Left bumper... "Wana Race? First to 700 miles... NONSTOP"/ custom made (cafe press)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow nice install Flr Fyr Ftr!! I love that radio too! I am still making boxes but only on a as needed basis. They take way too much time to pay ebay fees on and sit on them for a week or two before they sell. The box itself is 300.00 and the woofers are on sale for 64.00 for the L5 Kicker. The box takes me 2 to 3 days to make and the materials are quite expensive. Thats why they cost 300.00. Flr Fyr Ftr went a lil crazy with his and put a L7 in it. A L5 does quite well. Watch Flr Fyr Ftr's video and you'll see what his can do. About 200 watts of honest power does a good job with the L5 woofer. This is the only stealth box available for the insight. I also finish them in black urathane and use polyfill inside as well as high quality gold plated banana jacks. There is 3/4 inch MDF glassed right in while building the box for the woofer mounting surface. A LOT of time and design was spent creating this box,it fits like a glove. There is a rather long build thread on me making these here on the forum if you do a search. Not the group buy thread but the original. My direct email is [email protected] , I don't check the forum a lot because I am very busy lately. Fly Fyr Ftr's car has the biggest baddest system in a Insight I have seen yet to date. Ask him about his video and him driving under a monster truck! I also have 2 throttle ckt's left. Hating ebays listing fees so I havnt listed things in a while. Between ebay and paypal you can get hit with 20% fees!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ok Im liking that greenhybrid sticker too! I want one! I think Flr Fyr Ftr should buy a few and post them for sale here..I absolutely will buy one. Love the tint also ,what percentage is that? The enormous back window lets in a ton of heat and here in N.C. it gets super hot 95+ in June,July and August. Im a yankee so the heat kicks my butt.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey! There he his. The sticker you refer to is available at cafepress.com for $4 I believe. The other is also there but my own design as mentioned in another thread of mine (sorry, IE crashed again so unable to search). Thanks for all the compliments! dhotwagner, I have installed the most powerful speaker this box will hold and then overpowered it by 10% and it took it in stride. This is a quality box and it gets my thumbs up!

BTW, my tint is only 35% but it really does look dark from the outside

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ok thats great news. I have a whole box of 35% just waiting for the time to tint my Insight. I bought a 100' roll online. I now make boxes for Miatas,Insights,Civics,Accords and have 2 universal designs. I also make quarter scale R/C boat hulls powered with zenoah engines. I have 2 models of those. Real shame I can't post any new pictures. IC limits the amount you can post.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts