1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
i am still up for it

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I have designed, build and sold loudspeakers for decades, including two custom car systems. I have considered building one for my Insight, but things are way too crazy here at the moment, perhaps this fall if no one else is up to taking on the project.

Anyone taking on this project would need to know the make and model of the shoebox woofer (to access specifications), the internal air volume of the box, the order and cut-off frequency of the crossover (or the values of inductance and capacitance of the components), if the box is vented or sealed, the weight of the finished enclosure, and the thickness of the sides.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am selling my insight and I have a 'shoebox' sub in it. i am looking to see how much interest i would get here to remove it and sell it seperate from the car.
'shoebox' is in quotes because i did not get it from wayland. i built it myself.
i should probably slap a coat of primer and paint on it if i am really going to sell it but.....

check out this thread for pics:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... ht=shoebox

·
Registered
702 Posts
how much would you want for the sub

i dont need it painted, itll be hidden in my car too, :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
i am still on the fence of whether or not i can sell it. i am going to have to first answer my offerors for the car...

EDIT---- sub sold with car

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought an insight about 6 months ago. I had a pretty nice system in my previous car so the sound system had to be "fixed up". If you want any bass in the car you need a sub.

You can get some ok midbass out of the door 6.5s but you can't get down low. I am not a big bass head but I like to hear all of the music and like some good punch every now and again. I am more of a SQ guy.

I saw the shoebox sub and the ideas started. I tried making a cardboard mockup of the space but once I started and realized how complicated the shape was I looked into fiberglass. fiberglass made alot of sense to me.

I used some magic 2 part foam to make a mold of the very odd shaped area. You just cut the foam until you get the size you want. (In hind sight I should have cut the mold even smaller than I did. I ended up not being able to put the top brace back on).

I fiberglassed the mold (testing fitting when needed) with several layers of glass and mounted a 3/4 inch baffle for the ImageDynamics 8 inch. I sealed the box and filled it with stuffing and hooked it up. I liked what I heard.

For sure the fiberglass allowed the volume of the box to be larger than the wood which is good for a sealed and vented setup.

It had not used fiberglass before this so it took me 2 weekends and a few nights. The supplies where not cheap counting the driver I have $250-300 into the subwoofer. The sub isn't pretty but it gets the job done and is hidden.

If I had gone the wood box route I don't think I would have had enough volume to go sealed and I would have never gotten it built right (I don't have the skills / tools for that complicated of a box.

Anyway I just wanted to share my experience.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your technique with us. Likely you have the largest internal volume of any design to date! Shall we call it the ultra shoebox, or perhaps the glass slipper? ;)

Did you take pictures of the process?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm interested. Though, if it is going to be a couple months, I might as well DIY. Anyone know whether the shoebox has gone the way of the Insight?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am in

I am in, and would even pay half fo what he charges you (to buy 3 of them) Myself, because I know we could e-bay these beauties post haste! What do you need from me, as I am dead serious about aquiring one of these, and current owners just are not selling. I actually want the amp mounting plate and wiring harness as well, but I don't suppose I will get that lucky.......My baby needs some thump to go with her 60mpg!

lol,
Obie

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am still in for 2 subs for my 2 Insights. Anyone here willing to go forward with John Wayland on this. A run of 6 units would be easy to fill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Problem

Miroku has dropped out, found one somewhere else....I have no way to contact John. when i try his e-mail it bounces back. anyone know how to get in touch with him?

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Count me in. I talked to John over the summer and he said he'd be willing to crank out another batch if we could get enough interest (a batch of 6 if I recall). I planned on posting here for that purpose but never got around to it. I also got a demo of John's own setup in his Insight and it was *incredible*. He does excellent work; I can say that much.

If needed, I can call John & get the ball rolling.

Joel

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, let's go. Who is going to be the point man?

·
Registered
10 Posts
On it

Joel and I are going ahead and ordering. I am going to be selling the 4 I don't need as soon as I get them. I have no idea what my cost out of pocket will be, but once I have them they go up for sale.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would be interested in purchasing one off of you...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts