Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost A BIG thanks to Scott. Without him this would not have been possible.

Tomorrow I’ll be on my way to Jue Motors to pick up my 04 Lean Burn CVT. Scott is probably the only person in the country with the knowledge and passion to tackle this job.

A few unknowns that he was willing to undertake and overcome. To Scott’s knowledge all other lean burn conversions have been on 00-03 models, wiring for 04-06 is different. Also I ended up using a different ECU than the J-51. I used P/N 37820-PHM-309.

I was lucky to find this new P/N used in Japan. This part is available for purchase as new stock but it’s expen$ive ($1000). I managed to source mine for $200.

Refere to Scott for any technical questions. I’ll be posting MPG updates for those interested in what lean burn can do for a CVT.

I had the pleasure of driving Scott’s manual Insight while he was working on mine. I was getting 75 mpg on my work commute with his 5 speed. My CVT would get 63 mpg on the commute.

I’m hoping to get 75 mpg or better with my 04 lean burn with OBDII C&C and IMA C&C.

Updates to follow and thanks again Scott!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

First morning commute to work. Maintaining LB is much harder than I expected. IMAC&C helps tremendously with maintaining and slipping into LB.

I spent most of the commute chasing LB rather than focusing on FCD. Hopefully I’ll be able to pull over 70 mpg with practice.

After driving Scott’s 5sp for a week a can tell than a LB CVT will never be as mpg efficient as the 5sp.

Anybody else out there with a LB CVT? I’d be interested in your insights with maintaining LB at speeds of 60-65 mph.

9B34B298-1594-461E-87E2-C0CADB191AD0.jpeg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
72.8 for today’s morning commute. I was able to easily hold LB for all the commute. Average speed was 50-55. I was able to hold LB with 4 bars of regen, FCD fluctuating between 75-100.

I got to 77 MPG but lost it the last few miles of city driving. Hit every light in town. These numbers are very similar to what I was getting with Scott’s 5sp.

An LTO upgrade with 5 times the battery capacity would put LB on steroids and probably net me close to 85-90 mpg at cruising speeds.

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
Could you monitor the engine "vacumm" and TPS values while in LB with your OBD tool and post your results on this thread?
TKS
Willie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Willie, I haven’t dug into the OBDIIC&C. I have been busy with several projects on this car, it’s finaly complete. Next on my list to do is OBDII programming and display knowledge.

I will try my best to find those values for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a JDM import CVT in UK with lean burn. I used to commute 57 miles each way and averaged about 64.8 US mpg (73.5 Uk mpg). Best door to door mpg on that journey sitting at 50mph all the way was about 82 US mpg and best motorway stretch ignoring the town sections at each end, which was around 50 miles, was about 98 US mpg.

You probably know some of these bits already but the car will only go into lean burn below 65mph. It’s quite difficult to hold the car in lean burn, especially if the road undulates and needs more than a feather of extra throttle. The CVT has a habit of running through the gearing if a bit more throttle is needed, especially at lower speeds like 50mph, which is another lean burn killer. I think the next best mod on a CVT car would be some way of locking out the gearing in top. Someone mentioned putting a resistor across the TPS on the TCM line to fool it into not downshifting the CVT by making it think the throttle was less open than it thought - that same principle would probably fool the ECU into not taking the engine out of lean burn because it wouldn’t notice your throttle input. I’m no expert though, I wouldn’t know where to start with that.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I wish somebody with LB CVT would do my heated gas line modification and see how it affects transmission characteristics.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Great mod! A CVT will always be at a disadvantage vs a manual, at least in the Insight. Top ratio is only a little taller than a manual's 4th gear, and the CVT has more parasitic loss than a manual (maybe 5-7%?). Still, looks like you're seeing some savings.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input Jonny, I have noticed I get LB as low as 10 mph at 1200 rpm up to 67 mph. LB in low RMP city traffic is easy to hold. Holding LB above 60mph is difficult.

I have IMAC&C, with it engaged at 25% I notice LB is much easier to hold. I can even accelerate up a slight grade and hold LB with the FCD over 100mpg.

I’m hoping to upgrade to a 3.3 kw LTO and use it as a PEHV. I think a LB CVT LTO could get 100 mpg at cruising speeds of 55 mph.

Ecky, I like the headlight mods you did with the Black paint. Any chance of you posting a write up on that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts