Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2001 5sp Insight with 100,000 miles, which is running well, and in good shape. I have had the car for 2 weeks but have no historical knowledge of the vehicles maintenance or performance.

During the last few days, I have noticed that the IMA battery is charging up to about 4/5 of gauge capacity, and then discharges down to 2 bars rather quickly, providing assist.

However, twice now, I have stopped the car with 3/4 battery gauge capacity, and the gauge drops immediately to 2 bars once restarted, then begins the slow charge cycle to 4/5 gauge.

I am also noticing a slight hesitation during acceleration, when moving from charge to assist, and then a slight surge when the battery assist initiates.

Are these symptoms of a normally functioning IMA assist system?

Thanks much,
Hank

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Given the probable time and mileage on the IMA pack I would say its normal. :| What your probably seeing is a diminished capacity that will happen as the IMA pack ages.

Any Honda dealer should be able to retrieve the warranty history by VIN and tell you if your still eligible for the 10/150 IMA battery warranty extension. But until an IMA battery code of death happens its not covered (the red IMA light comes on when driving).

See:

Recal's, Forced charge, IMA Battery and Thermal mgmt - long
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

for more than you probably want to know about the IMA system. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Right Kevin :!: :)

Hank,

There is a yet to be explained relationship with IMA operation and a bad or very weak 12v battery. At least the anecdotal evidence supports the theory. :)

You can try an IMA reset first. (maybe that's why you were looking for the fuse box in the other thread :?: )

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stumbled apon the EGR thread, do you think this could be the source of the surging? - sounds very similar.

Will Honda replace the EGR valve under some special recall/warranty?

I will also check the 12v battery, and reset the IMA, I think it has forced recal twice recently.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure if this will help...?

Just got our second Insight off a train from New Jersey. (we're in Los Angeles) They probably left the dome light on for the two week trip. 12v started the car once at the train yard, but the car drove terribly, as 'tho the IMA system was completey fried. (most of the dash display was dark)

After about five blocks the car coasted over to the side of the road completely dead and we had it towed 40 miles to the Honda dealer. They put in a new 12v battery and all's right with the car. A bad 12v definitely cripples the car, not at all like an ordinary stick shift car that will run fine with no battery at all.

-John

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Thanks John for another bit of anecdotal evidence :!: :)

Just remember that replacing the 12v is (at first) the same as an IMA reset. So without a bit of further 12v diagnostic testing and their results its still a bit murky as to what the interaction was, or not. ;)

There have been credible posts in the past _both_ ways in relation to "newly unusual" IMA operation and the 12v battery. Sometimes a reset is all that's needed, other times it's the 12v replacement that does the trick.

Still other times its none of the above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts