Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my insight for about 5 months and love it. I average 63mpg country driving, 54 city and everything seems to be great. The car has 120,000 miles on it and am wondering what kind of maintenance plan I should have going forward. I don't have the book in front of me but I believe it runs out at 125,000 miles last time I checked. Thanks for the advise.

Also, the engine clicks a lot at idle, is that normal for an insight engine?

·
7,041 Posts
If your valves haven't been adjusted after 120,000 miles, it's probably time to do so. But yes, some ticking is normal for the Insight engine.

Maintenance..

Spark plugs, fluid flushes(coolant, brake, clutch).. I think the water pump is on the list, but I wouldn't worry about that unless it's leaking or something.. water pump failures seem to be exceedingly rare with our cars.

Oh, the transmission fluid is due if it hasn't been done too.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If not already done:
Check water level in 12v battery, make sure connections are tight
replace ground straps
Engine oil (0-20W) and filter
Tranny fluid
Brake fluid
clutch fluid
Coolant
Check brake pads
Check motor mounts - especially the rear one
Check, clean, maybe lube front suspension bushings
Air filter
Cabin air filter
Sparks plugs (should have been done at 105K miles at the latest) - go with the recommended ones
Rotate tires, properly torque lugs
Check air pressure on tires - DON'T FORGET THE SPARE
Check/adjust adjust valves
Clean EGR plate. check EGR valve

Things I like to do:
Run seafoam directly into a vacuum line, I also put some in gas tank and into oil just before changing
clean all electrical connections with electrical contact cleaner
Oil all hinge points - doors, hood

·
7,041 Posts
Good list Leeper. :)

Just to be clear, it would be a good idea to do a lot of those things with a much shorter than 120,000 mile interval, but definitely do them while you're at it if you haven't already.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What about belts?

I just turned 90K. A couple of weeks ago I set the valves (only one intake needed adjusting) and replaced the plugs.

I change the air filters (cabin and engine) annually just because it's so easy and inexpensive.

I have the tranny oil sitting on the shelf waiting to go in ... I purchased the car from a dealer and I always wondered if they change that as a part of "Certified Honda Used Car" procedure.

I was double checking the oil level from last week's change and noticed that the ground strap under the air box is hanging on by three threads. I guess I know what I'm doing today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts