Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just topped off my tank and reset my trip meter on Mouse and in the first thirty miles, am averaging only 41.9 mpg. This is a new low point since getting the car six weeks ago.

All those miles have been on trips less than 10 miles. I just put in better grade fuel in hopes of improving the mileage that way.

Tires are inflated to factory specifications; I check them each fillup and before going on a longer (30 miles or better) trip. I've been laying off "S" mode and the a/c as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
For short trips you should see an improvement in mileage if you use an engine block heater for 2 hour just before driving.
If you check your tire pressures when you fill up your getting an incorrect reading. Tire pressures should be measured cold, so unless you drive less then 1 mile to the gas station your measuring your tire pressures when they are warm or hot.
Also try increasing your COLD tire pressures to about 45 psi instead of 38/35 for better mileage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is the battery getting a chance to recharge during those 10 mile trips, or are you running mostly below 50% SOC (heavy traffic, stoplights, etc)?

G

·
0 Posts
I am experiencing a similar problem. I used to be getting 90+mpg on my daily 140mile drive, since I have changed jobs & travell only 5miles each way I now only get 70-75mpg.

I also found the battery was also running to below 50% soc quite often, this has been helped by driving everywhere with my headlights on.

I am currently running 42psi, I will be increasing the pressure to 45psi to see if this helps & maybe fitting a small radiator blank.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
jsanford said:
I just put in better grade fuel in hopes of improving the mileage that way.

Not sure how you figure this will help your mpg figure. I'd increase your tire pressure to 50 psi.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually, the gas station is just at the bottom of the hill, so it's under a mile.

The battery is usually near the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts