Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I bought my first Insight last August, and it took a while to learn how to drive it to maximize fuel mileage. My worst tank was 63mpg, in December when it was cold, dark and wet. Starting in April, I seemed to steadily get better fuel mileage, from 72 to 75 and now to 80mpg on my average mileage ( I reset it each time I fill up). I drive in North Georgia, so I have to deal with plenty of hills.

Is the summer mix of gasoline that much better?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hi all,

I bought my first Insight last August, and it took a while to learn how to drive it to maximize fuel mileage. My worst tank was 63mpg, in December when it was cold, dark and wet. Starting in April, I seemed to steadily get better fuel mileage, from 72 to 75 and now to 80mpg on my average mileage ( I reset it each time I fill up). I drive in North Georgia, so I have to deal with plenty of hills.

Is the summer mix of gasoline that much better?

Thanks,
Tim
Fuel probably makes a significant difference however, I would say that the bulk of the improvement is coming from warmer temps. Insight really love warmer temps.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Insight really love warmer temps.
+1. Warmer temps make much of a difference. If you have a scan gauge you can monitor that it takes half of the time to warm up the engine in summer than in winter. Even with all the tricks used during winter I get 73 instead of 87 mpg during summer. These are longrun seasonal mpg, not best fuel-tank. Different tires though (winter versus RE92).

·
Registered
737 Posts
+1. Warmer temps make much of a difference. If you have a scan gauge you can monitor that it takes half of the time to warm up the engine in summer than in winter. Even with all the tricks used during winter I get 73 instead of 87 mpg during summer. These are longrun seasonal mpg, not best fuel-tank. Different tires though (winter versus RE92).
Absolutely. I use a block heater all year long and, in the summer, I get lean burn in .3 miles and the coolant temp is as high as 170F after 3-4 hours. I would probably be in lean burn even quicker if it weren't for 1 1/2 blocks from my garage.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Quicker warmup and you can get into lean burn a LOT sooner. Maybe just as important, there is less oxygen in the air per volume, so you open the throttle more for the same amount of power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts