Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2010 2nd Gen Insight, is it normal to get about 125 miles less per tank in the winter, compared to the Summer time?

I live in Quebec, where winter can get pretty cold but I freak out when I get much less driving done on a full tank, compared to the Summer time.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Anything that increases air density, electric load or heat load adversely affects mileage, e.g.:

Colder air is more dense requiring more fuel to maintain mixture.
Cold battery is essentially disabled providing almost no IMA function until battery warms to around 10-15°C.
Increased heater use.
Increased defroster use.
Increased rear defroster use.
Longer periods of idling for warm up before driving.
etc.

Not sure about your 125 mi number because I don't know what you get, but a 20% hit to mileage in extreme cold isn't unexpected.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Minus 6-8 MpG on my civic hybrid in winter. He Insights never touch snow.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Where you are, I bet winter tires Get put on? Also, remember that tire pressures need to be adjusted going into and then out of winter. If you do not check them all the time, I bet they are getting really low. See cold air more dense above. As a Southern Californian, I never knew that until frequenting auto forums.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in Quebec, Canada. Temp today is -15 Celsius and feels like -25 Celsius with wind.

I checked the tire pressure and added air a month ago.

I knew that air conditioning uses more gas in Summer but did not know that heater and defrost button uses more gas as well.

I was able to get 4.2 to 4.7 L/100km in the Summer but now, I am getting more 6.7 to 7.3 L/100 km. On the same full tank, I used to get 700 something km in Summer but in Winter, I get about 500 something.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm in Wisconsin and my winter mileage is absolutely terrible this year. Do you have a Fuelly set up? It makes tracking a breeze.

Here's my last 7 fuel ups:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First time I hear of Fuelly. Sounds cool.

I will install it on my phone and start using it, thanks for mentioning it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts