Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I checked into this product last year. It's overpriced for the amount of horsepower you get. Other methods will give you greater gains for less money.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Those electric superchargers don't work, period. Not nearly enough airflow and pressure to boost an engine. A little match and comparative airflow numbers will tell you this.

Also, an Insight (nor any Honda really) is not the car to modify for performance. If you want a fast car, get a Corvette, RX-7, Supra, Lotus, etc. etc...

·
Registered
91 Posts
you May be able to Build the same thing using a Dynamax Electric ducted fan unit (use a 12v fan motor available at your Local R/C Hobby shop ) with a futaba mechanical speed control attached to the throttle and a 3 inch rubber pipe coupler Hardware store. the ducted fan will produce 12 pounds of thrust.
I am not shure however about the boost however and the E-charger uses this same setup with a full throttle on switch and charges you 4 times the cost of the components.

However the problem with the full throttle on switch. is that if the fan unit is not turning it is causing resistance in the intake. using the mechanical speed control this would eliminate the resistance and provide air flow throughout the RPM spectrum increasing flow as needed up to full on at full throttle.

But as some one else already patented the Idea Before I could I havent tried out this set up as what would be the point.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aaron Cake said:
Also, an Insight (nor any Honda really) is not the car to modify for performance. If you want a fast car, get a Corvette, RX-7, Supra, Lotus, etc. etc...
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that statement. My Honda S2000 is quite fast without modifications and even faster and quick with modifications.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Honda Performance

Get a copy of Super Street magazine..all sorts of hot-rod Hondas in it. I saw a 9sec. 1/4 mile on a Civic once.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gomarlins3 said:
Aaron Cake said:
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that statement. My Honda S2000 is quite fast without modifications and even faster and quicker with modifications. there a few thousand people that would also contest that statement at S2Ki.com

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Let me clarify two things:

1. Electric superchargers don't work. Not enough airflow or pressure. Period. No if's, and's or butt's about it. They just don't work.

2. I forgot about the S2000. They're pretty quick.

3. Yes, I'm sure we've all seen the fast Hondas. That doesn't mean that they're a suitable car to modify. Just like a Volkswagen Rabbit is not a suitable candidate for a V12 swap. Sure, it can be done, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. There are MUCH BETTER and cheaper platforms to build on then the Econobox Civic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
High performance from lightweight Hondas

You say there are much better platforms than the econobox Civic. Actually, since '85, the Civic platform has been sold with a high-performance engine version in Japan and in Europe. We didn't get these versions in the U.S. People here in the states are simply putting these engines or equivalent hp into the Civics and CRXes here, and making the suspension mods as well. These cars are just as suitable to modify as they are suitable right from the factory in the high-performance Si-R versions Honda has sold for over a decade in Japan.

The '90-'91 Japanese market CRX Si-R was rated by Honda for 0-60 in 6.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 14.5 seconds, with a factory limited slip differential available. These chassis, shared with the Civic Si-R, were made for this kind of performance right from the factory.

As for better platforms, that depends on ones definition of better. My definition, from a sporting perspective, is that lighter is better. Thus I, and many other CRX and '86-'95 Civic enthusiasts, have no particular interest in a 2,700 lb. RX-7 or a 3,100 lb. Corvette or Supra. The nimble, go-cart feel of a lightweight Civic(not all Civics are lightweight)/CRX or Insight is more entertaining of a platform for me and many others, than those much heavier cars.

Getting alot more hp out of an Insight surely would be entertaining, just as it is getting 170 hp out of my B16A-powered (engine from '91 CRX Si-R)'84 CRX, which I've owned since new, with the original 60hp 1.3 liter engine earlier.

There may be cheaper platforms out there to modify, but Honda quality is worth paying extra for.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I don't really want to get into a whole "thing" here about the philosophy of performance cars, but it's obvious that we both have different opinions of what a performance car is. My view is as follows:

1. Rear wheel drive. There are three kinds of drive: rear wheel drive, all wheel drive, and wrong wheel drive.

2. 2 door. There is no such thing as a 4 door sports car.

3. Built from the ground up with performance in mind. This means that while the xxxxx Type-R/SI/SIR might be a fast car, it is not by any means a performance car.

At any rate, our opinions differ somewhat, and there's really no point in trying to convince either of us to change our minds. ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
I don't really want to get into a whole "thing" here about the philosophy of performance cars, but it's obvious that we both have different opinions of what a performance car is. My view is as follows:

1. Rear wheel drive. There are three kinds of drive: rear wheel drive, all wheel drive, and wrong wheel drive.

2. 2 door. There is no such thing as a 4 door sports car.

3. Built from the ground up with performance in mind. This means that while the xxxxx Type-R/SI/SIR might be a fast car, it is not by any means a performance car.

At any rate, our opinions differ somewhat, and there's really no point in trying to convince either of us to change our minds. ;)
A few opinions on your little rant

1 I count 5 Front engine Front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, all wheel drive, Mid engine rear wheel drive, Rear engine rear wheel drive.

2 the definition of a sports car has been altered from the origonal. Any car that seats 2 people with a convertable top (IE. MG). But I beleve that those are now Called Touring Cars If you are including coups with a hard top then a insight is technally a sports Car. My opinion that the Subaru WRX STI would be the definition of a 4 door sports car ( The car is phenomily fast and handles like a dream) I think the WRC championships won say enough about that.

3 I would agree that there are no Japaneese Muscle cars going on the definition of a Large V8 in an equally Large vehicle Think GTO. I have come to the conclusion that high performance would mean any thing over Factory specifications. so Yes swapping out a motor in a civic with a higher performing motor out of a Integra and adding higher performane springs will not make the Civic a type R you still end up with a high performance Civic

and now for the real question and this is not a slam. For a electric blower exactly how much pressure is required to see a positive gain in horse Power in a engine. I ask this because factory turbo eclipses used to be set at 4PSI boost. An electric ducted fan producing 24 pound feet of thrust would equal about 2 psi and coupled with a mechanical speed control that would spin the fan at the same rate of flow that the engine requires to operate would not cause drag in the intake like a tornado or a stopped E charger. Because I was under the assumption that delivering air to the intake manifold at the rate that the car was sucking it in would help by removing the resistance of the filter and the intake ducting. If that does nothing for the car then what does a K&N filter do for the engine besides not throwing away a filter by cleaning it.

Im not trying to argue Im just from Missouri. Show Me some Hard Data so I dont waste any money. Or time if it has already been done the e charger has been tested to add a few 2-5 HP at full throttle. However it has also been proved to reduce power when the fan is not spinning. The Mechanical speed controller( patent pending ) added to the installation shoud work to keep the Fan at the same rate of flow or above thus reducing the negative affects of the full throttle only electric blower unit.

Carl

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,609 Posts
Electric Supercharger

I'll answer the question about the electric supercharger, haven't tried the TORONADO, but the same theory is there. I've experimented with the ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER. Don't waste your money. Only a stop watch would show if there was an improvement. On a larger multi cylinder engine it might help because of the cu. in. or cc of the engine vs. the air intake area of the engines. The only thing the Electric Supercharger does is make sure that the engine gets all the air it is asking for. When the ES was installed and monitored with a 10 psi "boost" gauge, no psi of boost was detected. The Insight was designed with maximum intake efficency for the size of the engine in relation to the the size of the throttle plate in the intake manifold. A K&N filter gives you more air intake area than the std. Insight tube and it does make the Insight accelerate better, mainly on wide open throttle. I've also been there and tried that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know, it's kind of funny. I started thread as a joke. Now I kinda feel bad.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,609 Posts
Supercharger for Insight

Don't feel bad. I take my Insight seriously. It is my baby. I have just done the ultimate to the "baby". It is now "TURBOCHARGED" and is awsome. Final testing for decrease in mileage is this weekend with two of my fellow Insighters. .....Willie*

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Must have pictures of this mod.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
<---- Anxiously awaiting results and pictures.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Insight MT
11 Posts
Yes I apologize for bringing a thread back from 13 years ago but I have been thinking about this a lot lately.
As for the electric superchargers, by now we know they are clearly a scam. But I have seen examples of electric motor driven turbocharger compressors which (claim) to produce boost with just Dc current. But who knows if they actually work.

What I've been starting to wonder is, how possible would it be to supercharge the insight? I live in California where this would be illegal but, theoretically how possible would this be? I really want to squish just a few extra horsepower out of the engine...

Also, have you seen the Honda S660? It's a 2015 jdm car with a turbocharged 660cc E series engine.

·
Super Moderator
5,423 Posts
Anything is possible. It would have to be a custom design and fabrication.

How fa$t do you want to go? It won't be cheap.

Sam

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.