Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a low mileage Insight and to be quite honest I am very surprised about its fuel economy. I had previously driven our 2007 prius generation2 for a year and managed to average 56.2 mpg imperial, 46.8mpg US.
Prior to the prius , I drove our Lexus CT200 and averaged 62mpg imperial, 51.8 mpg US. My wife still drives the Lexus and through travelling totally different routes, journey durations and speed restrictions has reduced the overall average to 59.9mpg imperial, 49.9mpg US. I have covered 1600 miles in the Insight and have achieved 59.2mpg imperial, 49.3mpgUS. Our climate is getting warmer and so the fuel economy is also improving still more.
I am surprised that the insight is returning better figures than the prius. I can only assume that my driving style suits the Insight technology better than the prius technology( which the journalistic propaganda would have us believe is far superior to the Honda). I would hasten to point out that I totally disregard the on board computers on all my vehicles since they are all as wildly optimistic as the speedometers! Instead, I monitor fuel usage on fuelly from tankful to tankful.
I originally purchased the Insight because in UK one gets a lot more car for the money than when Prius shopping. For the same money I bought the 18000 mile 2010 white Insight ES, I could only have bought a 2010 Prius base model T3 with 38000 miles. The cheapest white prius with a similar mileage as my Insight would have cost me over 50% more money ( which in my case represents the cost of insuring,maintaining and fueling the Honda for two years!).
As it turns out, the insight seems to get off the starting blocks ( 0 to 20mph) much quicker than either the prius or the Lexus and makes a lot more sense economically too. It uses less fuel that our old prius but uses about 5% more than I could achieve with the lexus. The insight keeps more money in my pocket....lets hope it stays reliable.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Welcome aboard. :) Yes, the insight is a different design, its actually better for highway vs city. City driving with lots of stop n go was what the prius was made for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice to see someone nearly achieving the official figures on UK roads. What are your typical journeys like and how fast do you tend to drive?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
My typical journey is a 38 mile commute across country single carriageway "A" roads with a few hills and hollows interspersed with villages where the police speed detector vans sit quite close to the news agents and pub. Heavy lorries are restricted to 40mph on these roads and there is very little opportunity to overtake. There are also numerous speed traps since the road is of the type which tends to make one rather impatient to proceed when one can!
Having used a number of vehicles on these roads including various motorcycles, the average speed is 35 mph for a car irrespective of type and engine size and 44mph for a motorcycle (with 0-60mph acceleration time in the realms of 3.4 seconds and in a hurry). So, its just a slow road even during the off peak times which I am accustomed to travel in.
I dont have the air conditioning on and on the cold mornings, I don't switch the heater on until my scan gauge tells me that the engine temperature is 82C( normally about 3 miles or 5 minutes) . I run the tyres (tires in American) at 40-39psi F-R and they are 185/55x16 bridgestone standard fittngs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The insight keeps more money in my pocket....lets hope it stays reliable.
Well, with just a little luck it should do! Honda comes first in almost every reliability study...
Home - Car Reliability Index | Reliability Index | How reliable is your car?
What Car? Reliability Survey 2012 - Introduction - What Car?
Most reliable cars 2013: Honda tops league while Bentley comes last | This is Money
Honda tops UK reliability survey | Autocar

Also, the i2 has never had a safety recall, while the Prius has had more than its fair share, and some very high profile safety problems...
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?whichpage=1&pagesize=10&resultString=%28TOYOTA%20PRIUS%29%20%20for%20the%20date%20range%2001/Jan/1995%20to%2001/Apr/2014&tx=

I love my i2 partly because it's the only truly reliable car I've ever had (my current cars include Land Rover, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Volkswagen and the Honda). If your i2 turns out to be a lemon, that'll be bloomin' bad luck....

Enjoy!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't think Toyota's recalls are a bad thing at all. It shows that Toyota take a proactive approach to the long term safety and reliability of their vehicles. They also issue a press release with every recall, where as most manufacturers keep it pretty quiet.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have recently purchased a low mileage Insight and to be quite honest I am very surprised about its fuel economy. I had previously driven our 2007 prius generation2 for a year and managed to average 56.2 mpg imperial, 46.8mpg US.
Prior to the prius , I drove our Lexus CT200 and averaged 62mpg imperial, 51.8 mpg US. My wife still drives the Lexus and through travelling totally different routes, journey durations and speed restrictions has reduced the overall average to 59.9mpg imperial, 49.9mpg US. I have covered 1600 miles in the Insight and have achieved 59.2mpg imperial, 49.3mpgUS. Our climate is getting warmer and so the fuel economy is also improving still more.
I am surprised that the insight is returning better figures than the prius. I can only assume that my driving style suits the Insight technology better than the prius technology( which the journalistic propaganda would have us believe is far superior to the Honda). I would hasten to point out that I totally disregard the on board computers on all my vehicles since they are all as wildly optimistic as the speedometers! Instead, I monitor fuel usage on fuelly from tankful to tankful.
I originally purchased the Insight because in UK one gets a lot more car for the money than when Prius shopping. For the same money I bought the 18000 mile 2010 white Insight ES, I could only have bought a 2010 Prius base model T3 with 38000 miles. The cheapest white prius with a similar mileage as my Insight would have cost me over 50% more money ( which in my case represents the cost of insuring,maintaining and fueling the Honda for two years!).
As it turns out, the insight seems to get off the starting blocks ( 0 to 20mph) much quicker than either the prius or the Lexus and makes a lot more sense economically too. It uses less fuel that our old prius but uses about 5% more than I could achieve with the lexus. The insight keeps more money in my pocket....lets hope it stays reliable.
I have to say, I had the same reaction to this little Honda. At less than 2/3rds the price of our Prius, you get a car that still averages excellent MPG. Way more than the U.S. EPA suggests on the car sticker.

Can't find much to gripe about it. I've only had the car a few weeks and really like the way it drives, especially over our Winter damaged roads.

We haven't really warmed up that significantly yet, other than a couple of days with teaser warmth. This morning it was 19F (-7C) and we only warmed to 40 (4C) today. It was colder yesterday, so still waiting for those nicer days. Still, the Insight keeps churning out excellent mileage figures in the upper 40s to around 50 MPG (not Imperial) calculated at fill ups.

Does not match what I heard about this car in the media. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am consistently getting 46-47mpg with a roughly 70% highway/30% city driving pattern. Much better than what I expected and especially nice this spring as gas prices have been steadily climbing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My typical journey is a 38 mile commute across country single carriageway "A" roads with a few hills and hollows interspersed with villages where the police speed detector vans sit quite close to the news agents and pub. Heavy lorries are restricted to 40mph on these roads and there is very little opportunity to overtake. There are also numerous speed traps since the road is of the type which tends to make one rather impatient to proceed when one can! ...
OMG! English English from a real Englishman (I presume). Carriageway, hollows, news agent, lorries.... so Dickensesque.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't think Toyota's recalls are a bad thing at all. It shows that Toyota take a proactive approach to the long term safety and reliability of their vehicles. They also issue a press release with every recall, where as most manufacturers keep it pretty quiet.

Well, they have had 8.5 million vehicles recalled after 20-34 deaths and hundreds of accidents due to "sudden acceleration" which they fought and denied for years.

I would not pat them on the back or buy a Toyota.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Toyota Hybrid deaths were most likely operator error. Unfastened floor mats jamming the accelerator and the operator not knowing that by pressing and holding the power button for 3 seconds or so, the engine stops, no mater what speed or mode. It's in the owner's manual, and most people don't read them.

I would fault dealerships or anyone that was going to let someone drive the car and not briefing them about the shut off procedure in case of emergency.

I was driving a runaway car, and I pushed the brakes to slow the acceleration and switched the key to the off/accessory position and popped it into neutral. I pulled over and came to a safe stop.

This happened twice to this car in extremely cold below zero weather. Had the cable linkage checked and nothing was found out of place. I had rubber floor mats in the car, and driver's side was latched to the posts on the floor, so it wasn't the mats.

No cause was ever determined. But knowing how to shut the car down correctly, kept me from becoming a statistic. Twice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG! English English from a real Englishman (I presume). Carriageway, hollows, news agent, lorries.... so Dickensesque.
Snigger! Yes a real english person, reminds me again that one of the english prime ministers was once heard to comment that the english and americans are two countries divided by a common language.
Dickens-like isn't strictly accurate but unambiguous enough for international comprehension.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I grew up watching the English shows on public tv, so I am use to it. Working customer service a lot of those who do not speak English, Engrish or Inglés as a 2nd or 3rd language call in and you develop a nack for making sense of what they want.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
I grew up watching the English shows on public tv, so I am use to it. Working customer service a lot of those who do not speak English, Engrish or Inglés as a 2nd or 3rd language call in and you develop a nack for making sense of what they want.
Takes a second... it is amazing that you can read that. We should all be able to speak more than one language. In Europe, and elsewhere around the world, second and third languages (sometimes more) are common. My grandfather was fluent in 7 languages. Don't know how he did it.

Got put in a group of German soldiers when I first got to Germany, and my German language skills were very poor. They were not good at English. Found out that one of the Soldiers had lived in Spain for a few years when he was young, so we spoke in Spanish and he translated for me. I got better at German after a year or so, but it took some schooling and determination.:smile:

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I would not mind a few languages for communicating with people. I took a few computer ones, C COBOL and Basic, but they dont help much. I took a few semesters of Spanglish. Now I know you must specify the temperature of the food you order as Mexicans like hot beer and cold food. Plus ice and ac is optional.

You know I often leave the tv on while doing other things. When the Amish Maffia comes on I swear at times I understand what they say in the PA Dutch they speak, aka German.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Warmer ambient

As the ambient temperature rises, so too does the fuel consumption figure. I have achieved a peak average between tank fulls of 67.4 imperial, 56.1 US mpg. Achieving these figures has been significantly easier than driving our old generation 2 prius and even our CT200 lexus in which I was able to average 71.4 imperial, 59.4 US on one tankfull last summer wasnt so easy to drive economically. The lexus is based upon the generation 3 prius running gear and until owning the Insight, everything I had read or heard about the Insight had led me to believe that I should expect something which just fell short of a generation 2 prius. Its hard to believe that Honda have given up on the insight. The replacement must be quite something to behold.

·
Registered
831 Posts
As the ambient temperature rises, so too does the fuel consumption figure. I have achieved a peak average between tank fulls of 67.4 imperial, 56.1 US mpg. Achieving these figures has been significantly easier than driving our old generation 2 prius and even our CT200 lexus in which I was able to average 71.4 imperial, 59.4 US on one tankfull last summer wasnt so easy to drive economically. The lexus is based upon the generation 3 prius running gear and until owning the Insight, everything I had read or heard about the Insight had led me to believe that I should expect something which just fell short of a generation 2 prius. Its hard to believe that Honda have given up on the insight. The replacement must be quite something to behold.
Nicely done. I have the same questions for Honda. Why underestimate this car so much, when it performs so efficiently. I'm getting about the same mileage driving my Insight that you are with yours.

The replacement should be impressive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
latest update

I have further improved fuel consumption on the insight. This occasion the car managed 74.6 imperial and 62.1 US mpg over 521 miles carrying just the driver and no passengers with no journey shorter than 37 miles. This was calculated tankful to tankful and ignoring the on board computer. The weather was warm but the air conditioner wasn't running.
I was just wondering...... does the white paint mean that the car stays cooler and therefore the driver and passengers are less likely to switch on the air conditioner? Are white cars therefore potentially more economical than dark painted cars?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts