Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to squeeze in a lawnmower and additional home maintenance stuff! I was just about to have regrets selling my old truck but the Insight surprised me today. I used heavy duty tarpaulin as base so it wouldn't damage the interior.

20190918_220225.jpg

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Over the years I've transported a bed, a tree in chunks, a huge load of IKEA flatpack furniture in one go, a big chest of drawers, 3 medium chests of drawers in one go, bicycles, a swing set with 9 foot poles and probably a lot more that I cannot remember right now...

One of the worst was our first holiday week out. I told my wife the Insight had more space than our old Nissan Almera had. When I came back from work she had packed the hallway with luggage to take with us, almost a cubic meter in all...
I took the floor and the Styrofoam insert out of the boot, packed it to the glass, filled the rear foot-wells and middle of the rear bench between the child seats (kids were 3 and 5 at the time) and left nothing behind.

Later on I got a rooftop box, which I have used only twice, but nonetheless its works as reassurance that if all else fails the box can get on top, or I could strap something oversized to its support beams.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow, I'm in need to transport a queen sized mattress as well and was wondering if it is going to fit. If anything I think the bed might be a little wider than it can take.
Do you remember what sized bed you transported haha?
Also, I'm assuming the mpg will suffer with all that baggage loaded up to the glass, wonder what sort of mpg you get with a car load of people + baggage?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It was a queen sized bed with the frame intact but hugging the driver seats shoulder (and mine) so it was a rather tight fit. I don't like to drive with the trunk open, that would have made it easy.
Just the mattress should be easy, unless you plan on not driving alone. The MPG does not suffer much when loaded, especially so because I drive with increased tire pressure (around 40 PSI). Then I don't drive fast. 60 mpg is my summer normal. (check out my fuel log at Ecomodder)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It was a queen sized bed with the frame intact but hugging the driver seats shoulder (and mine) so it was a rather tight fit. I don't like to drive with the trunk open, that would have made it easy.
Just the mattress should be easy, unless you plan on not driving alone. The MPG does not suffer much when loaded, especially so because I drive with increased tire pressure (around 40 PSI). Then I don't drive fast. 60 mpg is my summer normal. (check out my fuel log at Ecomodder)
Oh wow that sounds awesome! I'll try fitting the bed in then.
The log looks very detailed! So after driving 156,000kms, you saved $3600. That is pretty good! Basically the car pays for itself?

What is the savings compared to though?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh wow that sounds awesome! I'll try fitting the bed in then.
The log looks very detailed! So after driving 156,000kms, you saved $3600. That is pretty good! Basically the car pays for itself?

What is the savings compared to though?
So if I understood right, the $3600 savings is compared against the EPA due to the hypermiling techniques? Below is a compare that I did with your stats, so where the arrow is pointing is the 56mpg which is your lifetime mpg and savings against $14,117 (EPA mpg @ 40mpg) vs yours (approx $10,500)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The savings are even bigger as the fuel price is actually in euro, not dollars, but the site does not allow foreign currencies and I did not bother to recalculate to dollars (at an ever changing exchange rate...)
Most of the savings is due to driving style, mainly following traffic (at a safe distance) in the slow lane and driving with anticipation, like timing traffic lights, learning its cycle patterns and such. Raising the tire pressure is an easy gain, and blocking the lower grill outside of the summer season also helps some. Still I can't say I drive for free; I bought it almost new, so my savings only make up a part of the depreciation. So this is my last gas burner, I'll very likely go EV and solar after the Insight (but it will have to soldier on for some years).

The savings will be bigger as the fuel price is nearing record levels over here again at around € 1.80 a liter along the highway (over € 1.60 at the cheapest discount pumps).
I was working on a PHEV pack for the Insight but I had a heart condition which sapped my energy. That got fixed and I'm getting back in shape, picking up projects I abandoned before so who knows I may pick that up too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just the mattress should be easy, unless you plan on not driving alone.
I just went tried to fit our queen bed but it was way off! Like, 153cm wide bed but the mouth(rear boot mouth) was way off! Did you have to 'bend' the bed to squeeze into the car? Also the length of 203cm also seemed bit of a stretch to squeeze in! Curious to know how you did it? :) I couldn't even fit the mattress let alone the frame!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ah - I have a different perception of 'queen size' :)
I have been to the States 32 years ago and the only motel that advertised having queen sized beds turned out to have really tiny beds. I bet there was some wishful exaggeration in play.
The bed I moved was definitely not 152 cm wide; it was a single sleeper for my daughter, maybe 80 or 90 cm wide - but it had a wooden frame and a metal support which I left whole, which made it quite a puzzle. But it worked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts