Honda Insight Forum banner

Suspension just terrible--who's got a fix for this?

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  trunkout 
#1 ·
I love everything about my Insight but the ride; feeling every bump in the pavement is NOT what I signed up for. Anyone have a lead on who makes better shocks/struts/springs to better the harsh ride, and who to contact?

Many thanks,

Ricco

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

The problem is that the rear suspension bottoms out if there is significant weight in the car. Yves, one of the moderators, made a set of spacer discs for the rear springs. That would be a cheap fix. There is another owner who posted describing custom springs. Sorry I don't have the links. Just wanted to let you know that there are solutions.

#4 ·
Hi Ricco (rslatin) and welcome to the forum :!: :)

The LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) OEM tires are the main (and cheapest) items to replace which will dramatically improve ride and handling. But the down side is expect a 12%+- reduction in ultimate MPG ability.

If their Bridgestone RE92's their the OEM's.

Kip, AFAI remember the shocks / springs were for an auto crosser in here. Don't think it would soften the ride any. ;)

HTH! :)

#5 ·
Right, would not soften the ride unless the travel was increased, but if bottoming out is the problem, it might work. This summer I was occasionally driving around with a passenger, a weeks supply of groceries and a full set of renovation tools. Not fun at all!!!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately it was only for short distances. :roll:

I seem to recall there was a thread about air adjustable suspension components as well. That would be the best by far. Got to figure something out there. Dang, I wish I had some time. Soon, soon! :D

#6 ·
Replacing the skinny OEM 165/65R14 tires with 185/60R14 touring tires will increase ride comfort noticeably.

Personally I wish my Insight had even stiffer suspension :twisted:

#7 ·
The Insight is a Caddy compared to my MINI :lol: . Well honestly, the Insight only weighs 1800lbs and it "jumps" some over bumps like it's under dampened. Now, with 80k miles, I can really feel the shocks need replaced. I'd like some aftermarket company lke Koni to come out with a nice adjustable shock for the Insight.

#8 ·
kapps said:
I'd like some aftermarket company lke Koni to come out with a nice adjustable shock for the Insight.
KONI won't ever make an off the shelf shock/strut replacement. To low of number of vehicles, plus who would ever think of racing and Insight :lol:

With that said, I had a set of custom KONI's made for my Insigt. The fronts are single adjustable from the top at the strut towers, under the hood. The rears are double adjustable. I have the rebound set at mid stiff and the rears are at only 2 turns, which is about 1/4 full stiff. When I race I can get the suspension very, very stiff in either the rear or the front. It works very well for Autox :twisted: They are a huge improvement over the stock struts and shocks, but they are not for an improved ride. They were purely developed for performance, and they do a very good job. I have run them at full soft in the rear and front and you just float all over the place. Tires will make a much bigger difference to soften the ride at a much lower price.

If any one is interested I can have a set of the KONI's made by Pro Parts. The cost would be around $1700.00 for the complete set. Once the new KONI's are installed you would have to send in your old set as some parts are used for the new KONI's.

#10 ·
I ride on 155/80/13 in winter on VX rims and it's night and day. So much more comfortable it's like a different car. I'll look into getting another set of 13" rims for summer next year. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Insight should have come stock with 155/80/13 tires. No reason for anything bigger on such a small and light car. The 14's are only there to make it look a bit more actual in the sales brochures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.