Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about to hit 250k pretty soon. I'm rolling around on original struts/springs bushings.

I remember that the only thing that really bolts in is the stock stuff in front, but I'm not interested in that. I want to go lower, and I want to go stiffer. I realize that some people think scotts springs in the rear are great, and that's awesome, but I don't have an issue hitting bumpstops. I would like to lower the front especially.

Is there a reason I can't just order CRX coilovers? I know I can probably fab something similar to ground control sleeves, but what struts exist for the front? I am familiar that the rear shocks can be replaced with GAZ units. Are there any other options?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I can tell you that you're going to have an extremely difficult time if you try to put CRX suspension on an Insight. The CRX uses four wheel double wishbone suspension while the Insight uses MacPherson struts in the front and a torsion beam in the back.

If you're serious about this, then start looking through the K-swap threads on here and on Honda-tech to see what they've done.

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
If it were me, I would start by sacrificing the original springs and experimenting.

Why not take out the original springs and start cutting them down either a half a coil or a coil at a time and see how the car drops. I would also cut the rear suspension bumper in about half. Worst case you could get another set of used springs and easily put it back.

If I liked the drop and most of the ride with cut stock springs, I would then take a set of the springs I have manufactured and cut them down. The springs are 30% increased spring rate so if they were cut down they might give a better ride even though cut, they should bottom out less. The price for my springs front & rear, shipped $200.00.

I wouldn’t start by buying a bunch of parts that may or may not work.

Good luck with your adventure.

Scott

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it were me, I would start by sacrificing the original springs and experimenting.

Why not take out the original springs and start cutting them down either a half a coil or a coil at a time and see how the car drops. I would also cut the rear suspension bumper in about half. Worst case you could get another set of used springs and easily put it back.

If I liked the drop and most of the ride with cut stock springs, I would then take a set of the springs I have manufactured and cut them down. The springs are 30% increased spring rate so if they were cut down they might give a better ride even though cut, they should bottom out less. The price for my springs front & rear, shipped $200.00.

Scott
I like this idea. I might do exactly that. The only issue is increasing the spring rate without upgrading the dampers tends to be a very 'ebay' wheel bouncing ride. What do you suggest for the front dampers?

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you or someone you know is willing to cut up a struts and do some measuring there MIGHT be a Koni Strut insert that would fit the Insight strut housing. I really want to do this, but my struts are still OK.

If so, go to: performanceshock.com/KONI_86_series_race.pdf

·
Registered
2000 Insight
24 Posts

Scott
Gen 1 Insights should have come with shorter bump stops. It's the easiest and most beneficial mod to make and costs only a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
If you shorten the bump stops too much there is the possibility you will bottom out the shock and damage it/blowing out the seals. It would be a good idea to check the shock travel before cutting. Proceed with caution.

Scott

Reactions: minor4326

·
Registered
2000 Insight
24 Posts
If you shorten the bump stops too much there is the possibility you will bottom out the shock and damage it/blowing out the seals. It would be a good idea to check the shock travel before cutting. Proceed with caution.

Scott
That's BS. It's nowhere close.

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
That's BS. It's nowhere close.
I don't think that it is very judicious as a member of an entire 19 days to tell a faithful, long term, helpful, and extremely well qualified professional mechanic that what he says is BS. You are arguing with the wrong guy. He is widely respected here, over many years, for his skill and generous help to the Insight community, many times for free. He is probably the best Insight mechanic in the country - I don't know a better one and I've been here 11 years!

He was making a general analysis as to how bump stop lengths interact with shock stroke or travel. What he said is in a general sense, which is what I read into the post, is absolutely correct - not BS.

It would be much more helpful to all to have you make the measurements and post the numbers, rather than calling names.

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
^ +1. Sheesh. How rude. Try posting something positive.

Sam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts