Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I've completed the install of the rear anti-sway bar, the 4-point front lower arm bar, and finally the somewhat mis-named front strut bar.

To start off, these parts are also compatible with the 2009 Honda Fit. It seems they share similar chassis dimensions

First installed was a Progress Technology 62.1061 Rear Anti-Sway Bar.

I let my mechanic do this one. It was just too damned cold, and I also had some other work for him as well. He said that it was a very easy install and was surprised that I had him do it. Then we laughed.

My girlfriend drove it to the garage in the morning, and then picked it up in the afternoon. Her comment was that it was really solid, and that the back did not wander so much. I drove it the next day, and yeah, I had to agree with that statement.

Next installed was the Cusco 386 477 AN Version 2 Front (4-point) Lower Arm Bar.

The bar is a different design than what you see on JuicedHybrid.

The install was a straightforward bolt on (no cutting or trimming of baffles), with a short-well socket doing the trick. (Hint: unless you're a skinny 12 year old, you will need to jack up the car to put this on.) It took less than 30 minutes, and maybe less, had the last bolt not required super human effort to loosen.

I took it for a spin afterwards, and noticed that not only was the oversteer very reduced in the rear, the understeer in the front was considerably less. Again, the word "stable" came to mind.

Finally was the Cusco 376 540 A Strut Bar Front Os Insight Ze2.

Another fairly straightforward install. I wouldn't really call this a "strut bar" as it connects to the body of the car about 8 inches forward of the struts. First, attach the brackets to the body, and then the bar to the brackets. Be VERY careful to NOT drop any of the nuts, washers, or bolts into the engine compartment. That goof cost almost half an hour. The biggest struggle was getting hands into tight areas when attaching brackets. You will need to use a combination of wrench and deep well sockets to be able to tighten these.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The car is now fairly neutral

The cumulative effect of all 3 three of these has been dramatic. What has happened is that now a lot of the G-forces that were loading up on the outside wheels of the car in a turn, are now more held level. Granted, with performance shocks, there'd be a video game feel to driving. It's not quite there.

Most importantly, the car now performs to how I drive. I think of this car as now moving in 2 dimensions instead of 3. Gone is a lot of the Z axis (up and down movement). It feels like I'm driving GTA 5 and not in mashed potatoes. The car barely leans in turns now, and I worry less about it wanting to continue straight into a corner instead of actually turning through it. When I was on the highway, it barely felt the crosswinds that we had earlier this week.

All told, this cost about $550 parts wise, and about 90 minutes of labor (maybe less). I now make up reasons to go for a ride.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thanks. So you uninstalled all 4 of the lower bolts and the engine didnt fall on you? :D Yeah, Id like to get one of those. I was shocked the last time I was under there how far back the k member is vs other cars Ive serviced from the 90s.

Try the rear strut brace and install it the way I did. Put the bar on the car body, put the washer inside and crank the nut down as tight as you can get it. :evil:

Dont forget the cross drilled slotted rotors and ceramic pads. It will stop soo hard your glasses or sunglasses will fly off and hit the windshield and you knees into the dash.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The image of your Cusco 376 540 A Strut Bar Front Os Insight Ze2 looks the same as mine, which is different from the earlier one you showed. Your Cusco lower front arm bar (Type 2) is a different model than mine but bolts to the same location. I have the one you show above with the "double triangle" geometry. They should perform the same. So we should have a very similar setup except most likely for tires (we have Nokian WR-G2 185x60 R15).

I am curious as to what else you find as you explore the handling. I found that with just the rear sway the car had a lighter feel (more oversteer) but was not as linearly stable. The addition of the type 2 front lower arm made a big difference to reducing the noise of the "suspension" going on rough roads. It made the car have more understeer. The last component made a big difference as well. No one as yet has put these components on in a different order. I look forward to any other comments you have in the future.

Great work and thanks for the info!:)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The makings of the insight drift car. :) The stability system will let you get sideways a little, but it will self correct no matter how hard you try. :evil:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I have to say, after almost a week into this, and this car is a pleasure to drive. The car is mostly neutral in corners, giving it an almost video game feel to it. I find little if any of the understeer you mention WF, nor do I find the back end coming out on me either. Those were actually issues before I did this.

There is also a marked difference on rough roads, with the car not rocking its way through it, and as you said, much less noise.

There is also a lot less tendency to drift on the highway, and it is much less susceptible to crosswinds.

I think I have only one or two more parts to add to it (no Cobb, I am NOT adding a rear strut tower bar lol :D), namely:

Cusco 376 475 A Lower Arm Bar V. 1

And:

Cusco 386 311 A24 Front Anti-Sway Bar 24 mm Honda Insight

(This picture may or may not be the acutal shape of it. I've seen versions of it much straighter.)

Since we're talking about $100 and $300 respectively, I think I'll be waiting a bit, at least on the sway bar.

I guess the down side of this is that I've kinda gotten away from the careful conservative driving style of why I bought the car, started driving it more like a rally car. Now I'm wishing for a bigger engine.

But hey, my GF has a Subaru Impreza 2.5L... :D

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Oh yeah, the front sway will make a big difference.

The other bar, does that go under the rear seats? I installed one there that is about a foot long and goes under a cover in front of the rear torsion beam and gas tank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other bar, does that go under the rear seats? I installed one there that is about a foot long and goes under a cover in front of the rear torsion beam and gas tank.
The 376 475 A Lower Arm Bar V. 1 goes under the front of the car, forward of the 386 477 AN Version 2 Front (4-point) Lower Arm Bar. I'm thinking that it will further tighten up the front end.

According to Cusco, the 376 475 A Lower Arm Bar V. 1 goes here:

Whereas the 386 477 AN Version 2 Front (4-point) Lower Arm Bar that I installed goes here:

The single V 1 bar is ordered and on its way...

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wisdom on Gen2 2010 Insight Suspension Mods

Wow, this thread is really old but is anyone out there that has tried the mods listed in this thread lately? How about the people that posted to this original thread?

I'd like to tighten up my suspension so it tracks a little flatter/straighter and doesn't bob up and down so much. I'd like to keep the handling neutral AMAP. I'm not going to do any autocross with it and drive it pretty conservatively, but I'd like it to handle more nimbly.

Any wisdom is welcome!

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts