Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Suzuki Baleno is the first car I can think of, that isn't a Honda, to come with a manual transmission and a hybrid system.

Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki (SHVS) | T W White & Sons Blog

It's a little on the small side for me but otherwise I'd be very tempted, were I looking to replace my I2. It's lighter than an I2 - and i can't find any info on electric motor power rating or battery capacity.

It come in two variants, a 1.2l, 4 cylinder, 16 valve hybrid version - and a 1.0l 3 cylinder tubo non-hybrid version. Feedback is that the hybrid tends to get slighly better fuel economy - both in the real world and on the NEDC test. Could be an interesting test case for this thread I guess: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-2nd-gen-discussion/95634-honda-should-have-used-3-cylinder-engine-insight-g2.html

Edit: In other territories, the SHVS system is also available for the Celerio, Swift and Ignis.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and now the Ignis

Suzuki Ignis 1.2-litre Dualjet 2017 Road Test | Road Tests | Honest John

And Suzuki put out another 5 speed manual transmission hybrid with the Ignis.

Aerodynamics of a brick this time - so fuel consumption takes a little dive.

Both the Baleno and Ignis are a little small for me to consider. If they put out a bigger car with this system I'd be interested but I suspect the hyrid motor and engine would need a little more heft to make it worthwhile too.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Looks like a similar system to GM's bygone eAssist. Extra big/fat generator with an extra wide serpentine belt feeding a fairly LV hybrid battery/DC-DC.

I wonder why more mild hybrids haven't gone the way of Honda and put a pancake motor on the flywheel... patents?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Maybe for you UK guys, but I don't think we're getting those in the US. I've seen a few Suzukis on the road before, but I guess they stopped their automotive sales in the US a few years ago. We can get motorcycles and jet skis from them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts