Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was here complaining about my mpg with my old wheels I had on. I was skeptical that oe size wheels would make such a dramatic difference. I purchased my 02 manual insight in may and started learning how to drive it for optimal mpg. It came with 17 inch wheels on low pro tires. Well thanks to scott another board member I tried his wheels out and wow the difference was incredible. Well I've been scouting for a set of wheels for cheap since I was recently laid off of work and I found a set of aluminum wheels off an older civic and had kumho 165 65 14 tires on it. It was a noticable difference with these but I know that the stock wheels with the re92's were much lighter and rolled much easier.

Well my prior best tank was 52mpg with about 505 miles on a full tank (manual calculation)

So far on this tank im at 64mpg and I just had my best trip of 76mpg and i'm driving slightly faster and able to maintain lean burn much easier (computer calculated on display)

Once I start working again i'll no doubt find a set of oe wheels and re92 tires.

·
Registered
813 Posts
A 1st gen insight with 17"s?

For Real? I wouldn't think they'd even fit. What size were those tires?

Yeah, I'm sure it made a massive difference. OE Insight wheels with RE92's will probably be good for another 10-20% over Kumho rubber on civic wheels. You probably shaved 20lbs per corner of rotating mass.

Not sure why you would be skeptical, though. There's literally hundreds of threads on ICN with hundreds of owners who've all come to the same conclusion: There is no beating the OE wheel with RE92s. Any other wheel costs about 5%-15% mpg, dependent on size/weight/aero. Any other LRR tire, such as Michelin Energy Saver costs about 5% mpg. Any other non-LRR tire costs 10-20% mpg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont remember the size of the tires but they did fit easily. I know there's many threads regarding the tires, but not many threads with larger than oe size wheels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just bought a 2013 on steel wheels. I have been searching for a set of lightweight aero wheels that are the same diameter and width as OE. I have been looking for some Canadian Honda Fit LX wheels from about 2009, they look very similar to the 1st gen insight wheels, but no luck as yet.

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
llpancholl
Sorry this is G1 thread. Most G2 people would like that information posted on their forum.

·
Registered
63 Posts
llpancholl
Sorry this is G1 thread. Most G2 people would like that information posted on their forum.
Yep, but I thought it was not too far off topic, I figured the some of the G1 guys knew of the Fit LX wheels as they are 4 lug and while they are 15s instead of 14s they do have the same look. I was hoping to hear somebody say that they knew where to get a set.

The moment of inertia of a thin ring is twice that of a cylinder or thin disk of the same radius and mass.

If we have two wheels with the same mass and diameter, yet one of them looks like the G1 insight wheel, and the other looks like a sporty wheel with very few spokes, Then the spoked wheel obviously has more of its mass on the outside ring. The wheel that looks like a disk will require less force to accelerate.

Anyway. OP when finding your wheels, weight is important, but if two wheels are the same weight, pick the one that looks like more of the material is closer to the center of the wheel, not a sturdy rim supported by very thin spokes.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yes, the gen 2 is 4x100 and fit wheels fit. Most gen 2 owners go with tires they like vs higher mpg for the better handling.

·
Registered
65 Posts
there are a few decent choises of OEM wheels out there. I have started taking weights of my different wheels and tires.

96-00 civic HX wheels with my 175/65-14 Hankook I-Pike winter tires.
-27.300 lbs. each 109.200 lbs. per set

00-06 insight wheels with OEM bridgstone RE92 tires.
-22.712 lbs. each 90.848 lbs. per set

thats a difference of 18.352 lbs in rotating weight.

maybe we should start a thread with different tires/wheel combos with precice weights (no bathroom scales).

I will weigh the OEM insight wheels with the worn out cheapo tires that are on the front soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really appreciate this post. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you've nailed it!
No problem, like i mentioned in an earlier post, there's many posts regarding tires but few reporting having larger wheels in regard to mpg. I'm still searching for either oe or the hx wheels on the cheap.

btw welcome to the board and highly recommend you place your location in your signature line, it helps out when your looking for assistance/answers.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I have a set of 16x7 inch Konig Tuners from my previous '88 CRXsi. I had them mounted on my '00 Insight and it looked and handled awesome. But, the rear wheel skirts wouldnt fit and it looked ugly without the skirts on. Plus, the wheels felt heavier and actually slowed the car down and MPGs were low.
Wheels didnt stay on long and car is now back on factory rims/tires. So, now desperately trying to find the right style of wheels that'll be closer to stock size.
So yes the car can handle big wheels, its just not economical.
Now I'm curious what it'll look like with 17s! Got any pictures?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

they were awfully heavy, even with my current wheels it still feels heavy.. the car is just not happy with any additional weight in the wheels.

current setup

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I was here complaining about my mpg with my old wheels I had on. I was skeptical that oe size wheels would make such a dramatic difference. I purchased my 02 manual insight in may and started learning how to drive it for optimal mpg. It came with 17 inch wheels on low pro tires. Well thanks to scott another board member I tried his wheels out and wow the difference was incredible. Well I've been scouting for a set of wheels for cheap since I was recently laid off of work and I found a set of aluminum wheels off an older civic and had kumho 165 65 14 tires on it. It was a noticable difference with these but I know that the stock wheels with the re92's were much lighter and rolled much easier.

Well my prior best tank was 52mpg with about 505 miles on a full tank (manual calculation)

So far on this tank im at 64mpg and I just had my best trip of 76mpg and i'm driving slightly faster and able to maintain lean burn much easier (computer calculated on display)

Once I start working again i'll no doubt find a set of oe wheels and re92 tires.
How do you know that the larger diameter of the tire doesn't screw up your odometer setting, thus throwing off the accuracy of the mpg calculations?

Didn't you have to re-calibrate the speedo for the new wheel dimensions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you know that the larger diameter of the tire doesn't screw up your odometer setting, thus throwing off the accuracy of the mpg calculations?

Didn't you have to re-calibrate the speedo for the new wheel dimensions?

Thanks in advance.
Surprisingly the odometer was more accurate with the larger wheel. With the smaller wheel, my speedo reads a little high. Also just trying to get the car to roll on the big wheels was difficult without using alot of clutch.

an update to the post, I've now put oe wheels on with federal ss657 165 65 14 tires on and created a thread in general discussion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
HX rims VS insight?

:!:

has no one officially tried and tested the swap?

if its been done, what were the results?!

:!:

.... if not, i could try it out, as i own a HX as well....:cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts