Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my 2011 Insight. They are incredible, but the tread has hit 4/32 and it's time to replace them.

Unfortunately, Michelin no longer makes these in the 175/65/15 size (they list them on their website as "Limited Availability", but I've never seen them available anywhere for purchase).

I have two criteria for new tires:
1) I drive on California highways with terrible drainage. Wet traction and hydroplaning resistance are my primary concern.
2) I'd like to still get 35mpg+. I use to get ~40mpg on the stock Dunlops. That went down to ~36mpg on the Pilots. That's ok, as I feel a ton safer with the Pilots, but I'd prefer to not go down to 30mpg.

I can't find any 175/65/15 tires which meet or exceed the Pilots' wet performance (using Tire Rack reviews). If I go to 185/60/15, the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus look nice. If I go to 195/60/15, I can get Michelin Premier A/S tires.

I'm concerned about switching to a non-OEM size, however:
Has anybody went to 185 or 195 tires and had them rub against the car during turns?
Has anybody experienced a greater than 5mpg hit with 185 or 195 tires?

I realize that my speedometer will be ~1mph off.

I've seen old posts mentioning 195's, but I haven't seen any hard data on what they do to mpg, or whether anybody went to 195 and had them *not* fit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've heard it won't dip your mpg too much, I'm considering the similar option and went to Canadian tires(I live in Canada) and according to them, an insight would fit up to 195...
And changing them at 4/32 is excellent... I ran mine at 2/32 all season during winter for almost half a month while I wait for the winter tire to be arrived, it was pretty sketchy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
im running 185 65 15 kumho kh30's on the stock steelies and they run as good as the stock dunlops which sucked ... same mpg - maybe a little better ... much better handling ... still tons of room in the wheel well ... no rubbing whatsoever ... others have gone up to 195 60 15 on the stock rims with no probem with clearance either

1 - 3 of 3 Posts