Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2002 ,cvt insight yesterday and have been getting 50 Mpg for the last 300 miles.(flat country roads 50 to 60 mph) Will synthetic oil Mobile 1, 0w/20 w help with mpg ? The dealer put in Honda oil.

I noticed there is a gap 2 or 3 inches between the hood and bumper.with the radiator and A/C core exposed. Is a trim piece missing or is this normal ?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It's somewhat subjective whether synthetic oil will help mileage noticebly or not. I've been running it and it seems a tiny bit smoother. The biggest thing that will kill your mileage oil wise is if they put in thicker oil than they're supposed to. Unfortunately 0W-20 is no longer being made if you see some of our other recent posts. They're replacing it with a 5W-20, which should give you almost identical results unless you live in an extremely cold environment.

As far as the bumper if your talking about the top smaller opening, no there is not supposed to be anything there. If your reffering to the bottom larger opening then yes there is a 3 finned black plastic grille thats supposed to be there. If it's not I'd take a better look under your hood and at your crash supports because this piece not being replaced is a general characteristic of an Insight being in a crash.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lower opening has a 3 fin plastic peice in place. I was interested in the top opening , It must be OK, I just had not noticed it untill today.

I picked up 6 qts. of Mobile 1 , 0-20w at PepBoys in Dover DE. today using the buy 3 get 3 free.coupon. (theyhave plenty in stock)

I notice Mobile 1 Oil filters were on sale, but they did not stock one for the Insight. they said it was M1108

Has anyone used Mobile 1 Oil filters for Insight ? It sounds like a new product, I have never noticeed them before. Is there a mail order vendor that sells this filter ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
MPG and your car

George:

I have exactly the same car as you. Here is what I found:

- inflating tires to 45 psi all around (2-3 mpg)
- mobil 1 synthetic oil (2 mpg)
- K&N air filter (1 mpg)

The biggest thing is your driving style. I try to feather the gas pedal, and use assist as little as possible. You get great mileage when the batteries are completely topped off. Also, your MPG will drop like a rock if you drive faster that 65. I get 57 mpg combined, mostly freeway driving. On a recent trip to San Francisico, I went 70 the entire way and got only 51 mpg. Coming back, I went 65 and got 62 mpg. The trip was basically 0 elevation gain each way.

Seth

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: MPG and your car

Seth Dallob said:
K&N air filter (1 mpg)

Funny I tried a K&N for over a year and didn't get any mpg increase. My mileage is exactly the same with the OEM filter.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Resist, that makes sense.

If the throttle is less than wide open the air flow is limited by the throttle not the air filter. A small increase in air resistance by the air filter is compensated by a small increase of the throttle opening. Since the computer controls the fuel mixture it will be the same in both cases.

A dirty air filter will limit the maximum horsepower. The K&N filter will theoretically increase it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
0 MPG

I have a new problem, the Insight died this morning, it would not start.
See new posting under "Problems and Troubleshooting", Battery problem.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
A dirty air filter will limit the maximum horsepower. The K&N filter will theoretically increase it.
True, I did feel more power at WOT, but no increase in HP. When you consider you really don't want WOT if gas mileage is your goal (and the point of owning an Insight), then a K&N does nothing for the car.

·
Registered
361 Posts
For those of you in SoCal who may be trying to find Mobil 1 in 0w20, I got mine this week at Napa Auto Parts in San Diego. They had 120 CASES of it on hand. No sale price. The regular price is $4.99 per quart.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Seth, part of your mileage variation driving up and down the coast may be due to wind conditions. I drive from San Diego to Los Angeles several times a week, and my mileage always varies greatly by direction, due to wind conditions. This could easily explain a 5 MPG variation.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Steve0

when do you get your best mileage, coming from San Diego or the other way, I always get my best mileage driving South to San Diego.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I generally get better mileage southbound, also. One odd thing is that when I go north, my mileage always improves when I pass Disneyland. I'm not kidding!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I always get better mileage going South from SF area to SLO, so it works that way up here as well. It is a near sea level to sea level drive. I don't know what the prevailing winds are, but maybe they have something to do with it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
For the US West Coast, prevailing winds are usually down the coast, especially in the summer. In winter there's often no wind, and when a low pressure system approaches we can get winds going up the coast. I'd blame that for a 5mpg delta. :) JoeS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I drove from Oakland to San Diego last fall on highway 5, I also got far better mileage going down vs going up. I figured it was due to very slight hills. There's the range of hills coming out of the Bay Area, and then I figured a very small decline most of the way down the Central Valley until the big steep hill going into LA, and then a decline all the way to SDO. So coming back it's uphill all the way except for the big steep hill, and I can't coast for that long, alas...

I dunno, though, it could be that I was hurrying north but taking my time to go south. Because doesn't the central valley drain to the SF Bay? So it should be slightly downhill going north? Or maybe it was that the trip down was 00:00-08:00 and thus windless, but the trip back had a headwind because it was 17:00-03:00.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If you can't find any 0W-20 and don't live in extreme artic cold weather, you can use 5W-20 Mobil 1. It's for temps -53 degrees F up to 400 degrees F. Your engine may have to work a tad harder (using more gas), in cold weather until it warms up but, I doubt it is anything to worry about.

The protection 5W-20 Mobil 1 full synthetic oil provides far out weighs what the Honda mineral 0W-20 oil can give anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts