Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
T boned. Totaled just like that. Drivable, front end mashed sideways in front of drivers side wheel. No injury. The ford pickup that hit me had to be towed.
I’m what’s the word? All the work, time, anticipation ——
Update. Not one and a half hours later. Geico says they are going to repair the car. I’m taking it to a shop tomorrow. Let’s see how this goes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
T boned. Totaled just like that. Drivable, front end mashed sideways in front of drivers side wheel. No injury. The ford pickup that hit me had to be towed.
I’m what’s the word? All the work, time, anticipation ——
That sucks...

I had a similar incident with a '00 CR-V. Sucked, I had made that car like new. All that time to make it perfect and then a millisecond to destroy it all.

·
Super Moderator
1,540 Posts
Glad you are alright.

Scott

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have pics. Not sure how to post. Maybe send to one of you. So you can help.
Both fenders, hood, left side headlight. Front bumper and I’m sure underlying frame involved. But from there back seems O K. Drives without pulling. His bumper hit in front of the drivers side wheel. The truck wheel hit the drivers side side wheel on center and bumped the car a couple feet to the right. What damage might that do? No fluids leaking. I was doing 15. He was doing 10 at most.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Glad you are alright. Granted the car is important but cars are much more easily replaceable than people. I've got Geico, too, so learning they will repair a G1 Insight is very cheering. Good luck all around.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes through to trans and mounts. That’s what I thought. I’ll be driving it a few miles to the auto body shop this AM. That should tell me something Randal.
Boojum: geico is the other drivers ins. Co.
And yes it’s just a car. I keep telling myself that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mental whiplash

That’s the words I was looking for.
No surprise to me and you all I’m sure, the geico body shop says it’s totaled.
So now my dilemma. Aside from it’s broken nose the car is intact. Drives straight. Not a drop of any fluids. The whole front beam and braces and attached are smeared to the right side. Hood bent and crumpled.
I was, after hundreds of hours detailing, soundproofing, mechanical tinkering,
Searching for the car, Flying a thousand miles to pick it up. Done! Literally. The test drive. There really isn’t an expletive that covers it.
I’m not clear enough to know if I have it in me to keep it and put another few hundred hours into it. It really doesn’t make sense for what is just an object obsession. !!!

·
Premium Member
9,849 Posts
If it is going to stress you, let them total it and accept the results.
Enjoy life, after all it is only a car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Willie thanks

You are right of course. That’s what the sane side of my brain is telling me.
I need a couple days to calm down for sure.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That sucks dude.

I love my car and would be so depressed if it was totaled:mad:

but such is life, repair or buy another insight:)

·
Registered
625 Posts
That’s the words I was looking for.
No surprise to me and you all I’m sure, the geico body shop says it’s totaled.
So now my dilemma. Aside from it’s broken nose the car is intact. Drives straight. Not a drop of any fluids. The whole front beam and braces and attached are smeared to the right side. Hood bent and crumpled.
I was, after hundreds of hours detailing, soundproofing, mechanical tinkering,
Searching for the car, Flying a thousand miles to pick it up. Done! Literally. The test drive. There really isn’t an expletive that covers it.
I’m not clear enough to know if I have it in me to keep it and put another few hundred hours into it. It really doesn’t make sense for what is just an object obsession. !!!
If you are looking for the voice of reason, you won't find it with me. The Insight got on my "janky car bucket list" (meaning I won't buy it unless it falls in my lap for cheap) when I say my first one at a Corvair meet up (!) So when a deer tried to enter my roommate's Insight at 25 MPH through the windshield, and the insurance company was not going to pay to fix the damage but write a check instead, I bought the remains for the salvage price (no salvage title due to my state's rules) and after nine months it was back on the road and I am so thrilled. I am now keeping an eye out for a parts car.

I would say, get another Insight and make this your parts car. Or fix this one. Or both! I think user "Honda hybrid442" (Dave) has a front end, but he is on the east coast and you can probably find one in a Pick-a-part if you are patient.

I found using a propane torch helped when working the aluminum to keep it workable. I found it easy to straighten. I stiffened it with new bracing where needed. I learned a LOT about paint and bodywork which I had never done before.

It's great that you are not hurt, and it SUCKS that this happened, and if you don't have a place to keep or work on this car, it changes the picture. But since you got it so recently, you should get a payout of nearly what you got it for, minus the salvage cost for keeping yours. Knowing what salvage cost is, that's a great price for a car if you have the patience to fix it, and for all those (known good!) spare parts if not. After reading your posts, I can't see you not in this or another Insight.

(If you decide not to keep it, definitely consider letting the forum have an opportunity to buy it from you for the salvage price as someone's new parts car rather than sending it to a wrecker.)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
OK, I'm going to be that guy. Because I have insurance people and lawyers and LEOS in the family.

Through someone's negligence, you have been harmed financially and personally. Get representation if you have to: Your goal is not to cheat or steal, it's to be made whole again. Your vehicle deserves better than a first offer of totalling it... After all the time and effort and work you've put into it.

Either demand a higher payout, or repair or replacement with a similar vehicle. This is your right.

Good luck and go get them!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry but I didn’t hear or see all the cheering and advice until the dust settled. Thanks for all the good thoughts and ideas. I really appreciate it.
I got a so so payout. I decided to move on rather than fight. I need good energy now, not bad, and in my experience litigation is a snarling dog fight. I’ve done it before.
I thought of fixing it but Scott recommended to move on. So that’s the plan. Yes, I want another one. I want a good one. I’m not in a hurry.
I can’t think of a better vantage to be looking from than this forum with all you great people. Specifically : 2004 or newer. 150k mi or less. A good record of care and service. A clean title. Manual transmission. Silver or Navy Blue Pearl. Good paint, normal nicks scratches are O K . No wrecks. Clean interior. Good solid mechanical condition. An old working well maintained or new replacement IMA battery. Only a sun belt or west coast car. Picky picky picky. I know. But I’ll pay for it within reason. I just want a good insight. I’ll fly if needed to pick it up.
Again, thank you all so much!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts