Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a letter in the mail about the recall on Takata airbag inflators that affects my 2010 Insight.
Honda Airbag Info Recall

It says replacement parts won't be available until the summer, but it sounds like they'll pay for a rental car until the parts are available. In fact, my coworker drives another model of Honda with the same recall and just got a free rental car for it.

Is anyone going to take Honda up on this offer?

Pros:
-Even if it's unlikely, the airbags can be dangerous so it would be safer to drive a rental.
-Less wear and tear on my car since it gets a break.

Cons:
-Lower gas mileage on the rental car, for sure.
-I'm a little worried about the battery if my car is sitting for a while. I guess I could drive it maybe once a week in order to keep the battery charging and discharging.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
There is a topic for this already: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/troubleshooting-problems/78194-airbag-recall-insights-up-2012-affected.html

Yes, it is a dilemma. While there have been accidents, some lethal, the number of those set off against the tens of millions of affected airbags proves the chances of encountering a failure are very slim.

I never got the rental car replacement offer, even so I had to wait for several months after this issue became known (and postponed the appointment for a few weeks when my number came up because it suited me better).
They replaced it in 20 minutes, I had not even finished my coffee when I got the keys back.

This replacement vehicle scheme is going to bankrupt some company. Just hope it isn't Honda.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
$1,000,000,000 FINE for TAKATA's DEADLY FRAUD

Saw this CNBC report: on TAKATA Air Bag Fraud Case

Takata will plead guilty, agrees to $1 billion settlement, Justice Department confirms

"The company is expected to pay a $25 million criminal penalty and $850 million in restitution to automakers who purchased the air bags. Another $125 million will go toward establishing a compensation fund for motorists or relatives the company's air bags harmed."

Seems like the 'split' is not enough for the victims, and biases the benefits towards the automakers largely.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i, and most others (probably original owners and those who told honda they now own the car), received letters over the last year that both driver and passenger bags need to be replaced ... i got mine in may '16, i think ... after the letter i received a phone call (about 3 months ago) informing me that the part was in the service center and to schedule an appt for installation ... im gonna get it done next time i need an inspection in february along with a tranny fluid change

·
vote 4 mawah
288 Posts
Takata

My understanding of the issue is that it is a Takata problem.
Further, as of last year, according to what I've read on the issue, for both our Hondas is that the other big air bag manufacturer is also being sued for supplying faulty materials in their air bags..
As long as the service dept doing the recall on your car gets it all buttoned up nice an neat so no wires get caught in the seat tracks or a seat sensor doesn't poke into your kidney through the upholstery the SRS system in your car should be good to go. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts