Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Just wanted to share my excitement about getting my new Insight tonight. It's a manual with a/c silverstone baby and my first brand new car ever.

I've been reading this site off and on and have noticed there are a number of modifications one can do to improve upon a good thing. Given that I'm someone who does not know anything about working on a car, nor has any interest, are there modifications I should consider regardless?

Oh, and do you have any tips for a new driver?

Thanks all,
Athena

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats! I was exactly in your shoes a year ago. What you need to do is replace the speakers on your Insight.

No, it's not your ears, the factory speakers are in fact ***. Speaker replacement is easy. I looked here for some recommended speakers that fit in the hole, and then found them on eBay for $15. Taking the old speakers out just takes a screwdriver. You'll probably need to buy a speaker harness wiring thing to connect the new speakers to the weird Honda plug; I think it was about $5 at Circuit City. Putting the new speakers in again just took a screwdriver.

Oh, also, I need to grind down the back of the plastic speaker covers, since the new speakers are too tall for the plastic cover thing to quite fit on again. Eventually... ;)

Also, pump up the air in your tires to at least 40 psi all around. And I think it'll take about 10 months before your Insight is settled down enough to get the best gas mileage. My gas mileage also improved a lot when I replaced the oil at 7500 miles with Mobil One synthetic.

I don't think there's anything else you really need to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got my Insight about a year ago too. I haven't made any mods, so I can't recommend anything off the top of my head. However, as for new driver tips, it couldn't be simpler... let the car teach you how to drive it. I bought this car for it's efficiency, and have been very pleased on that point. I found that the feedback you get on instantaneous and trip MPG will tend to change your driving habits (if you so choose) to increase efficiency.

The greatest benefit of Insight ownership that I have found so far has been an unexpected stress reduction while driving. I tend to drive a little slower now and am far more relaxed during the trip.

Chris in Washington, NH
2004 #37
LMPG 75.2

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi athena...

I see you're in Seattle! I had my factory speakers replaced at the Good Guys on Aurora. The have techs with experience with our cars, but I printed out the installation guide from this website, just in case. They did a good job and were very respectful of the car. Do not go to the one by the needle; they are super slow and messed up the antenna retraction on my Celica (pre-Insight car) which I would have expected them to check after having the car three hours.

I installed the successor to the Eclipse speakers mentioned on this website and have been pleased with them.

You'll also want a dead pedal. I also got the three floor mats (driver, passenger, and rear) at handandaccessories.com; although your dealer may send you a 15% off coupon for accessories. There's also a great care thread that'll have you dropping $50 or more on Insight washing accessories.

My Insight came with daytime running lights, so if you see a silver one with the headlights on during the day, that's likely me, although I don't drive it as much as most here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input all :)

I didn't expect to feel so "in love" with the car, but man, I love this thing! It feels right, if you know what I mean. I had test driven a Prius before deciding on the Insight, and I remember feeling like it was just so big and unruly that I'd never be able to parallel park the thing.

It'll take a bit for me to get used to the auto stop thing and to improve the lifetime mpg, which is at about 35 right now and about 33 miles.

I will need to increase my tire pressure -- that's easy enough. It doesn't compromise safety at all, does it?

I probably shouldn't have, but I bought my mats from the dealer. Oh well.

By the way, what's a dead pedal?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Apparently it's a foot rest for a short person's left foot. I have no need for one because I'm 6'5". There is at least one person on this forum who makes them for Insights. You may want to check the Buy/Sell section for them.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
write2athena said:
I will need to increase my tire pressure -- that's easy enough. It doesn't compromise safety at all, does it?
Actually yes it can. Don't expect them to cover you should something happen. Anything you do other than what the car or tire manufacture suggests can compromise safety. We all know this but do it anyway for max gas mileage gains.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts