Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine light came on a couple days ago, car seems to be running the same, but I'm bringing it in. I've read the things to look for, O2 sensor, bad code(?), emissions, cat converter. Think that covers it. Any I'm missing?

I don't trust my local Honda dealership on Insights, as the last time I brought it in for a constant rattle over bumps, they claimed nothing was wrong and that it must be the license plate frame. Well, like a fool, I taped down that weak link on the Insight, but still the rattles are happening, sounds like from the front driver side, but could be wrong on that. Thoughts?

Also, my mpg has gone down a good 15-25% over the last year or so from when i first bought the car. I still think I pay attention and am driving the same, it just doesn't seem to do as well. I've wondered if the new tires I put on hurt that much?

Here's the biggie: My Honda Care warranty expires in 2 months, so I need to get everything done that could be done. Maybe I should take a long road trip!?

General advice on bringing it in?

I've now got 55k on my '00 Citrus baby. Anything else I should check out?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Administrator
12,317 Posts
grnmachine said:
Check engine light came on a couple days ago, car seems to be running the same, but I'm bringing it in. I've read the things to look for, O2 sensor, bad code(?), emissions, cat converter. Think that covers it. Any I'm missing? .
You/we need the code before we can make any sensible suggestions, we would be guessing without it. :? Make sure the dealer tells you what codes they find. We need the exact numbers.

grnmachine said:
I don't trust my local Honda dealership on Insights, as the last time I brought it in for a constant rattle over bumps, they claimed nothing was wrong and that it must be the license plate frame. Well, like a fool, I taped down that weak link on the Insight, but still the rattles are happening, sounds like from the front driver side, but could be wrong on that. Thoughts?
Constant rattle? Strange noises are difficult to diagnose without hearing them ourselves, but I would look at the following.

1) Loose cat heat shield
2) Loose inner wheel arch protectors or other trim.
3) Loose/missing under body panels, especially under engine. They can flap about more than a flag in a light breeze if not properly fitted ;)
4) Dry front suspension bushes, discussed on here many times and very common, both my cars had this. Diagnosis and solution here.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4859 :D

grnmachine said:
Also, my mpg has gone down a good 15-25% over the last year or so from when i first bought the car. I still think I pay attention and am driving the same, it just doesn't seem to do as well. I've wondered if the new tires I put on hurt that much?
What tyres make and size, have you fitted?

Anything other than the Oem Bridgestone Re92 tyres is an instant mpg hit of at least 5%. If you have fitted bigger/smaller tyres that will also upset speedo and mpg display.

Good luck

Peter

·
Registered
76 Posts
Grnmachine - Retepsnikrep's advice is good - get the code(s) pulled before you take it to a dealer. I've been told AutoZone does it free. I failed to do it myself see: http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... art+attack

Wish I had. I replaced the air filter, lifted the 12V batt cables and have been lucky since, no problems after ~ 500 miles. If I had pulled the codes I would have something to go on and known more.

Good Luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Code question

I'm bringin' in the little fellah in just an hour or so to the dealer for the Check Engine light and the infamous scrunching noise. I'm an optimist usually, but I'm anticipating complete frustration and agony on a Friday afternoon.

First, thanks soooo much for all the great info here. I've cut and pasted it all so I can be armed when I go in. I have zero car knowledge, so all your insight really helps.

I'm planning on stopping in at Autozone and get that code checked first, just so I have that info, but then what? Is there a list of the codes and what they mean? Ooops, haven't done a search here first, ok, I'll go do that, but just in case I don't find it, thought I'd ask.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Code question

Update: Just found them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My day at the dealer...a bunch of nothing..Long Story

Well, thanks to you guys I started at Autozone and within about a minute they told me the code was 1162. I looked it up on the sheet I had printed out from here (yet more kudos!), and for kicks, I had him go look it up on his computer. He showed me a photo of a thingamajig that had about 5 wires coming out of it. Looked like an old distributor cap with all the wires attached. Anyway, he said it was between $139-189 depending on where he got it from, and that it was fairly easy to install, if I borrowed a tool from them. Nice guy.

I then drove to the dealer. All the while making sure I was going over bumps and driveways and hearing the scrunching noise loud and clear. Recall that the last 2 times I've been in there for this noise they first replaced the rear struts (?), and a heat shield, and the 2nd time claimed nothing was wrong, and that I must be hearing the license plate frame banging against the bumper! I went home, taped up the frame, and of course still heard the noise.

This time the noise was SO obvious, I had no doubt that they would hear it. I brought out my sheet quoting Curious Dave's research into the rubber bushings which the service guy writes down on the order. Yes! This time all will be fixed I foolishly tell myself.

I go into town for lunch and await their call. *Ring*. "You're all set. We did the oil change, we ordered the part, it costs $359, but is covered under your warranty, however 2 of our service people went for a test drive and didn't hear any noises"

After puking up my brown rice and veggie lunch all over my new cell phone, I asked him how this could this be? How can they not hear this noise that sounds as if my entire front end is being squished by a giant frog? I kick myself for not staying and going for the test drive with a service guy, but I had done that the last time to no avail, and the noise was now so pronounced. I asked him if they had put silicone grease on the rubber thingys, he said no, they had inspected them and they looked fine. Agggg! I asked why they couldn't have simply applied a bit of grease while they were in there, just to see if this resolved the problem. He said he didn't know, but that it would have only been a temporary fix. Good enough, but at least we would have known the source of the scrunch from hell!

The service guy at the dealership is very nice, so it's always difficult to get tough with him, but at the end of the day if I want a friend I'll go to a park, I'm here to fix Greeny, so I had him write down that they had not found a problem with the rubber bushings, (my extended warranty ends in 3 months and I want to be covered in case they missed something), and I went home awaiting his call next week when they get the part in. At that time he said he'll have me go for a ride with the mechanic until they hear the noise. Fair enough I suppose.

Now here's the kicker. On the drive home the scrunching noise was worse than ever! I don't think I'm imagining it, it really sounds worse, and my friend who was with me agreed. I had asked him if they had removed the 3 bolts and he said he didn't know, but I just wonder if they somehow have made the problem worse? He also said there is no problem with me driving normally with the CEL illuminated until they get the part because until it starts flashing, it just means that it's out of normal range but not failing. He also said I should see much improved mpg, which I think has been down for about a year now. BTW, I noticed the test drive guys put NINE miles on the car. In 9 miles they couldn't hear the noise?! I even told him exactly where to go, which driveway and at what speed.

OK, there you have it. Have at it! Oh, hopefully I'll get some credit for this--when we got home I took out my handy pocket digital audio recorder and drove around the neighborhood recording the noise. It was soooo loud! I can only imagine that maybe they are not hearing it because the dealership is in a fairly busy high traffic, loud area, and I live in a very quiet part of town, but once again, we heard it clearly over there, so I'm guessing they're just not Insight saavy.

Any comments, advice, scolding, and especially humor appreciated.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm confident this will have a happy ending, just wonder how many headaches to get there.

Kyle

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi grnmachine,

The scrunching sound from the front end is definitely related to the front lower control arms (the rubber bushings of which you speak). I had the problem big-time with my 01 Insight, and got a whole bunch of parts replaced under the Honda Care extended warranty. So many parts were replaced, in fact, that a Honda Care representative had to come out and inspect the car themselves to approve the work.

I would say, take the mechanic for a test drive with you, and make sure you go over speed bumps and other bumpy roads that cause the noise. I don't know why they're trying to avoid it, but it's definitely a problem, and it's definitely covered by HCW.

Good luck!
-fly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts