1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought one!
2006 CVT Silver Insight. 84k miles.
I was told it needed the IMA battery.
Searched the web and seen the "reconditioning battery sticks" videos.
Thought "Dooable".
While waiting for chargers and then power supplies, drove with IMA battery out.
Shudders when taking off. Drained and replaced CVT fluid and did "Stop Shuddering Procedures" with success!
Started Stick Level Reconditioning.
Sticks all over the spectrum with their Voltage readings. 7.5v - 4.5v.
With an out of state trip looming, I only discharged/charged 1-2 times and topped off and then reassembled the pack.
WORKED GREAT and got 50mpg on an 80 mile test drive. Unbelievable!
Next day, 1/2 charge on the IMA. WTF?
Started driving and it did the RECAL!
Took it to Honda to see if there was a software update? Nope! $100 please.
Codes pulled were the same as my obdII scanner.
PULLED THE IMA BATTERY BACK OUT!
Sticks were closer but still all over the place. 7.9v - 7.4.
Load tested the sticks. A lot dropped during test to 6v. Need lots of sticks!
Found 2005 Honda civic hybrid battery.
The guy claimed it had been replaced at Honda in 2012 for $2700. I was told it was working fine 3 weeks earlier when it was pulled for K20 swap. Took a chance. $400.
Took apart the HCH battery and did a voltage check. Sticks read 7.59v - 7.63v.
Swapped all batteries. Yellow sticks out and in with the orange.The civic only had 3 thermo resistors. The Insight had 4. Swapped them around.
Installed battery and did Initial start up procedure. Started with 0 bars! Oh No!
My son, who has been helping all along, kept the rpms up. THEN IT HAPPENED!
1 Bar lit up, then 2,3,4 and eventually all!
We each test drove and noticed the Assist working great! No lights on!
Parked it overnight.
Next morning the IMA battery was still almost full. Nice!
Changed oil and filter.
Took a 200 mile roundtrip to Atlanta and back. 54 mpg!
SUCCESS! A week later and still the same!
Bought this to flip but am thinking of keeping it. What to do as it's been 1 week now. A 2006 Honda Automatic with air and less than 100k that gets unbelievable gas mileage.
Summary:
Battery Stick reconditioning? Maybe but doubtful. I wondered why there was no successful videos. Best to charge,set, then load test stick. I have 5 or 6 that passed.
Battery rebuilding? Very dooable if you have known good sticks with similar voltage readings.
Shuddering? Procedure worked for me.
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
827 Posts
There's no such thing as a good stick or good battery. This is my opinion. Make sure your 12 V battery under the hood is charged. Turn your switch off on the hybrid battery behind the seat turn that switch off . drive it 40 miles One Direction bet you get real good mileage. In my opinion the battery is for more power like 13 hp for a few seconds in the lower gears. Most people don't give the car enough time to recharge the battery when slowing down for it to work properly. So when it does charge it's the trickle charge which means you're burning gas. You can use the clutch switch on a five speed.i've got a car with a battery i havr a car without the battery.I got one with the battery for sentimental reasons to have an original but i use the one that has been bypassed. And I get over 100 miles to gallon . But I learned early on two years ago you never win the war with the batteries "nickel metal hydride "the lithium on the other hand is a different story. And if you charge it Off the grid there's not a gas penalty – – Peter Perkins said home electricity. grid electricity public utility electricity is eight times cheaper than gas . Whenever I try to buy a car I want one with a totally shot no good for nothing battery. That way you're not giving 500 or 1000 for a battery that's no good or not long from it that will hurt your gas mileage. Yes you have more power with a good battery but it does not last long. So I am always looking for a nice car with a dead battery. And I would love to have a lithium battery in the car. For sentimental reasons!

·
Registered
827 Posts
If you decide you have a car you don't want.i'm sure you will keep it. Anybody anybody that can recondition the batteries take them out put them back in is going to want to keep a car you have just described . I'm always looking for the car not the battery. Welcome to insight central if you like it one tenth as much as I do you will be hooked.

·
Registered
827 Posts
First time for everything – I guess I was wrong . I am a slow poke driver that's probably why I have better results. YMMV. I also use a lot of air pressure to make my car more competitive with one with a working battery. Hope you enjoyed your car!!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
With the battery disconnected, 36mpg around town and up to 42 on the road.
How? You'd have to be driving around like a maniac on flat tires to get fuel economy that low.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I knew you were a wise and thoughtful Einsteinstonian type individual if you've got a car a woman can get 42 miles to the gallon in that is one hell of a car! For instance my brother had a car that he could get 70 miles to the gallon and his wife would only get 30. Guess who paid for the gas. Not a trick question. Welcome to insight Central. You have a wonderful car congrats! 🤓

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After returning from Atlanta with a 54 mpg average, my wife took it shopping. Came back it was down to 44? What happened? I asked. She replied, "Well, I didn't want to get Mother out at a few places.I left the car running with her in it". I guess the ac works well.
When I filled up the car it cost $22 and got an average of 46.02 mpg.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Bravo !!! There's always two sides to a story but only one truth. Or something like that in Star Trek I like Mr. Spock .if you decide to sell the car a friend of mine that likes Star Trek would be interested.have a great day seize the day happy day and turn the car off when you're not using it. Me and my friends we like to rescue cars . We shall now amen that we rescue cars from junkyards and women.!?!. 🤓

·
Registered
827 Posts
One more thing if you have a hybrid battery that will sit at idle and keep an air-conditioner running that's a good battery.my battery would collapse going 50 mile an hour. With the AC on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts